I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN IT WASN'T GOING TO BE GOOD WHEN SHE PUT ME ON HOLD TO SEE IF SHE COULD GET ME A "BETTER" PRICE...It felt like the car dealer going back to his manager...
I was initially quoted $158 per night (2 Queen beds, not lakeside). When I mentioned the Hampton Inn had a $99 special that same weekend she asked me to hold on and "see what see could do". She dropped the price to $128 and mentioned the free tickets to the largest water park in Mackinaw. We have small children and I thought this was a great deal. I booked for 3 days.
We arrived at the hotel which looked nice enough. It is apparent that the intial 1 story hotel was built about 50+ years ago, and they later added a second 4-story building on the beach within the last few years.
We were given a room in the 1 story section, which I thought would be nice since we had small children and didn't want to deal with stairs. Upon entering the dark and musty room with BEDS THAT LITERALLY SWAYED IN THE MIDDLES we were grossed out and immediately wanted to leave. The front desk said they could show us the only rooms they had left which were a lakeside 2-room suite--of course this room would cost $60/night extra.
The 2 room suite was small with only 1 queen bed and the other was a sofa sleeper. It did have a nice view of the bridge and lake, but most importantly, the bed had about 20 years less use than the former room!
I would never pay over $200 per night for this room! It was worth $120 at best! At this point though, we were literally caught, because with a 3 day minimum cancellation policy they were going to charge us $300 if we left.
NET, NET, WE ENDED UP PAYING over $430 TO STAY AT A MEDIOCRE HOTEL WHEN WE WERE QUOTED $287!!! We were very disappointed and will never stay there again.
In addition, I have read other reviews, and I must agree, these hotels, and Mackinaw city in general, are completely misleading in their marketing and are overpriced!!
AS I READ MORE AND MORE OF THESE NEGATIVE REVIEWS I SEE PRICES DROPPING IN THE NEXT FEW YEARS...as folks with bad experiences will simply stop going:
* The beach pictures on the net look great, in reality, it is not a sandy clean beach, but full of weeds in many places and not very nice.
* It may be the largest water park in Makinaw, but don't get too excited!!The water park was ok for our kids ages 2 & 3. Any older they would be dissappointed. They also don't tell you that 6 HOTELS OFFER THE FREE WATER PARK AND THERE ARE NO LIFEGUARDS!! In addition, you have to drive to get there!! It is a very small & busy place for 6 hotels worth of guests.
* The coupon book is a waste of time -- when a hotel needs to offer you a coupon book, look out!!
In general Makinaw City is a bunch of old hotels with minimal updates trying to charge resort prices!! Unless you get a GREAT deal, SKIP it!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotwire, Choice Hotels, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Priceline and HotelQuickly so you can book your Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quality Inn And Suites Beachfront
- Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront Hotel Mackinaw City
- Quality Inn Beachfront
- Quality Inn Mackinaw City