“Plenty Others Around”

Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront
Ranked #37 of 40 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Reviewed August 8, 2014

Desk clerks untrained and with an attitude! . . . Type room reserved not available, blamed on Choice! . . . . Almost scalded myself in the shower - kept going from ice to fire! . . . WiFi worked less than 20% of the time! . . . . mold in the bathroom! . . . at 3:30pm had to ASK to have the room serviced! . . . . need I say more?

STAY AWAY!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tripmagoo

Reviewed August 6, 2014

Room 191 is dirty and run down. We complained about our room and they did nothing to compensate us. The handle came off of the shower. The windows were filthy. The refrigerator was dirty and looked like the handle was never cleaned. The freezer had inches of frost in it. The carpet had some frays and holes in it. The vent in the bathroom was thick with dust. You could see the light coming through the side of the air conditioning unit and through the door. They said they could have sent people in to clean had we complained when we arrived. However we arrived late at night. Who wants to wait on cleaning people when you want to go to bed? We were extremely disappointed in our experience.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Brenda B
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Upon check in we discovered that the suite that we booked was dirty and very outdated. I think I could have handled the outdated but the dirty was unacceptable. There were used shampoo bottles on the windowsill in the bathroom, hair and dirt behind the bathroom door and a disgusting stain on the bathroom floor. The bathroom had wallpaper on the side of the tiny little vanity sink and it was coming off. There was no fan in the bathroom and so my room and my sister's room both had mold around the tub. My sister was given the wrong type of room- she ordered a king suite. The manager did discount her room $20 since he no longer had that type of room available. The next day after a restless night we went to talk to him again about the conditions of the room. He did move us to the "newer" wing. Since there were not suites available he gave us 2 rooms for the price of one. I did appreciate that effort. Even in the new rooms, the decor was dated. They did have new flat screen tvs on top of the enormous old entertainment centers. And the bathrooms boasted of premium amenties however, they were only a decade newer than the first room we stayed in. There was a fan though. I was very disappointed in this Choice hotel. We did use the free waterpark feature though and enjoyed a fun time at the Bridge Vista Hotel Waterpark called Emerald Cove. Unless you have young children (we had 7 kids from 6-18) I wouldn't bother with the other waterparks. If I go back, I would look into staying at the Bridge Vista because it was new in 2013. The reviews for most of the area hotels discuss dated décor.

2  Thank kristib2pea
Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is very old & run down. Our room even had wallpaper coming off the wall. This is not what I would expect from the Choice family of hotels. We arrived an hour past check in & our room was not ready & we're told it would be at least another hour. When it was ready, it was hot as the air was not on & didn't work well & we had to go to office to get towels to have enough. The best thing about the hot breakfast was the waffles. Other food was poor quality & the area was a mess. The person working it either couldn't keep up or didn't care to. Choice really needs to update this hotel. Especially since it is in a high tourist area & brings a premium rate. We would not stay again.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I booked the room using the Mackinaw City Tourism site, which lets you purchase ferry tickets to Mackinaw Island, zip line, and parasailing attractions all in one click. I requested a room with a fridge and a lake view with double beds. I received everything I asked for and the staff at the front desk was very helpful. I noticed as I was walking to my room that there is also a newer building with rooms as well but my room was in the older building. My room was decent. The entrance wall was very dirty and so was the tub (needed a good scrubbing). The beds were very comfortable and very clean. The balcony was a good size for my kids to sit out and eat lunch but it could use a new paint job, the black paint was peeling everywhere. The breakfast was good and they had a lot of choices. It did get busy around 8AM but it was enjoyable. Overall I will stay here again next year but I think I will try and get into the newer building. They do have a pool but we did not use that or the access to the watermarks, my kids loved the beach though. The beachfront for the Quality was almost non existent (lots of grass and no sand) so we just walked down to the other hotels beachfront and used that. They do allow pets and the dogs we saw loved jumping and running into the water. They also have fire pits available and many of the guests made use of them at night with their families. The hotel is located about a mile from Central Ave ( the main strip) so we drove over and their is sufficent parking everywhere. Good experience overall.

Room Tip: There is an older building and a newer building but not sure if the newer one is just suites but it...
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed July 2- 5th, 2014. The rooms were clean just very dated and the pool/hot tub/sauna was nice and even though we had a good time it could have been better. My biggest let down was the picture on the website did not match what the beach really looks like at this hotel. The picture shows the beach going straight to the water but that is NOT the case! What the picture fails to show is the huge amount of grass between the beach and the water. There is also piping and drainage in the grass that the picture fails to show as well. I chose this hotel based on the picture and wanted to stay here so my kids could play next to the water. However, the beach is not as pictured and they did not get to play next to the water. When I approached the manager about the very deceiving picture on the website his response was that Lake Huron was down right now and when that picture was taken it really did look like that. I felt like his response was rehearsed and I did not believe it for a second. If that was the case then there would be a major problem with flooding at all the other hotels if the lake is supposed to be higher then it is right now. My only real complaint was the picture vs the actual beach is not the same and should be told to other potential travelers who might think it is. It is an average hotel otherwise. They cleaned our room every day and changed the sheets/towels/etc and I did like that a lot.

Room Tip: If you stay here choose a room in the middle. The end rooms seem to be smaller.
1  Thank 775Smith
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Hotel itself wasn't bad....very standard for the price you pay. What turned me off was the amount of small flies (midges) that were constantly swarming around the place. In the evening there was a layer (and I mean a layer) of midges all about the door, about 1/4 inch thick at the door step. It was just gross.......we had to dash in and out of our room to not let too many of them in.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends