“Bait & Switch”

Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront
Ranked #37 of 40 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Reviewed October 11, 2013

One of the worst hotel experiences ever! We were told there were onl 2 rooms left and they were in the newer building with a view of the bridge. I went to my car and booked the room online and redeemed a free rewards night. My husband and I went right back inside and when the guy at the desk saw that we were using a rewards night, he said we weren't assigned yet, so he placed us in the older building and assured us the view and quality of the room was the same. The room was NASTY! It smelled terrible nd the floors had not been swept. The room was dumpy and cobwebs present. The room also didn't have a view of the bridge. The hotel management/staff lied to us. Some reward program! I am done dealing with Choice Hotels!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank K R

Reviewed October 3, 2013

My brother and I stayed at this hotel on a Saturday when there was a convention in Mackinaw City that weekend. Very busy area indeed. Poor parking area; my brother's car was almost side-swiped by an SUV. Wi-fi was working poorly; we couldn't use it consistently. Lastly, our sleeping experience was very poor too. Not coming back again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank dannew692010
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I booked this hotel on Hotels.com, so got a discount through them.. It was cheap, and we got we paid for. The room was sort of clean, but certainly not spotless. Furniture, bedding and carpet are definitely outdated. The breakfast was ok, but not the best.

My major complaint was that at 11:00 pm, after turning in fairly early, we were awoken by a man trying to get into our room. We heard him through the window saying to his wife that they were locked out. A few minutes later we got a call from the front desk asking to verify that we were indeed staying in the room. I don't know if it was a computer glitch or a human error, but being woken up in the middle of the night was not a pleasant experience. I also did not appreciate the lack of apology that we received.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stellarsong
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Horrible dump of a smelly place. Definitely shouldn't be in such a beautiful place. Room smells, bathroom filthy. Not worth the Hotwire price. Staff is okay, dreading breakfast, afraid to step in the tub or use toilet. Disgusting.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Amy M
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We were quite satisfied with the accommodation and the view of the bridge. Breakfast was very good. we felt all in all it was good value for money The service at the front desk was very good. Although it was not the most modern room it was clean and comfortable.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alan M
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Made reservation online. Called hotel and talked with Akiel about being in "Premium" building on the lake. Was told put that request in the comments box. The week before our arrival I confirmed reservation with Scott the manager. Was told couldn't put us in premium building, but could move us there for an extra $20. What a rip off! Cancelled and booked at the Clarion for the same price. Save your time and book anywhere but at this hotel.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank 87SueL
Reviewed September 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel recently. Understandably pet friendly hotels are few and far between so my expectations were adjusted. I have no problem with dated decor, older furniture and carpet but I do draw the line to lack of cleanliness. This bathroom was filthy to the nth degree. A phone call to the front desk prompted a response that I could track down the housekeeping crew to point out the problem. First an foremost a paying guest should never have to do any leg work in order to correct a problem with their room-ever. Upon returning to our room later in the day the problem was corrected only 50%. Shame shame...never again

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple