“Horrible hotel”

Ranked #37 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Commerce Township, Michigan
“Horrible hotel”
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

The beach is not a beach. It is a floor of rocks leading into the water. Hurts your feet to walk the beach. Dogs are allowed which was good in our case. Pool is very small. Pop machines DO NOT WORK, so don't waste money trying to get a pop. The 25-foot buffet is a ripoff. The breakfast was terrible and extremely misleading. By 25 feet they mean spacing everything out so it looks like more. Too much for a room that is on rocks not sand. Pictures online are unrealistic. Balconies only have one piece of wood seperating each other. Soap, shampoo and conditioner weren't nicely organized they were just thrown into the bathtub. The doors did not lock well and no lock on bathroom doors either.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is one of the worse hotels we have ever stayed in. The room was not very clean. We had one bar of soap in the shower. No towels were near sink. We did not have a room on the water and feel we were really ripped off for the price and quality. As soon as we walked into the pool building I saw that the pool surround was not very clean. The bathroom inthe pool building was dirty and old. We should have gone back and demanded our money back.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room here
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank denalipup
Grand Blanc MI
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We rented three rooms and stayed here to get a lakefront view at a decent price. The hotel did lack in superior cleaning. At least our bed linens were clean and so were the towels. I had checked out internet prices and upon checking in was given an exaggerated rate. When I had prices on my tablet the front desk worker mentioned she would match that. Umm...that is what is advertised for consumers. Seems like this place may not be so honest! The pool was not so clean, but had chlorine and pool towels. When I plan on returning to Mackinaw and bring my pet I would choose this location, but I would once again have rates on my tablet. We did not have any pets with us, but I seen others who had them. The room configuration for the King has the bedroom when you walk in from the door and the sitting area by the beach. If the sliding doors are open the other rooms and beach area can be loud from the sitting area. If people are walking by, the bedroom can hear it. Bathroom had hot water. Breakfast was packed, but we were able to get a table.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hustonville, KY
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We had 2 rooms for 2 nights. We were not in the back with a lake view, but one of the side buildings. The are very old, poor a/c, and they did not smell good. The bathrooms were in need of a lot of repair and remodel. The wifi worked sometimes, we had to keep calling to have it reset. The breakfast was okay, there was variety. The worst thing was the value. This cost us $333 for each room. That is insane. I would never return to that hotel.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ljgordon
FC
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Our experience at this hotel was very disappointing. Be careful and clearly understand what you are renting. The property and management are not of the standard that I would expect from a Quality Inn/Choice property. This experience has definitely changed how we will select a hotel in the future.

2 Thank G T
Oswego, Illinois
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We arrived at our destination Quality Inn mind-evening on Tuesday 7/9 and booked our stay til 7/16; we had stayed here the last 5 years and the first two years were wonderful, clean and friendly and the staff took care of our needs and concerns.We vacation in Mackinaw every year for the lat 5 years, we've attended the Chicago-Mackinaw Race for the last 3 years. This year our stay was extremely disappointing.Upon arriving we entered the room was stuffy and had an moldly order in it. We thought it was from being closed up, we opened the patio screen to allow fresh air in and the door was off track and hanging by a one wheel, the frig didn't shut nor remained shut, no towels in the room. We called for these items to be taken care of, I was surprised that this seemed like an inconvienece for the manager. We noticed as the days went by that water was leaking from the sink and mold was under the sink conviently hidden by a taste can. My grandson is highly allergic to mold and had been suffering this cold/allergy feeling for a few days. Then I had gone on line to check rates on surrounding hotels as I was curious of rates in the area. I discovered lower rates at surrounding hotels and brought this to the managers attention and asked to get a reduced rate,as his own website had rates 20-30 dollars less than what I was paying. He wanted to argue with me over rates. When I suggested to him that I would cancel my remanining time he then agreed to reduce the cost to reflect the online pricing. The food for the complimentary breakfast was disgusting, therefore we eat in town at a wonderful resturant. I will not book at Quality Inn & Suites for our future return to Mackinaw, as we go every year. Staff was rude, room service seemed to forget to leave towels or towel paper, mold in the rooms are completely unacceptable, even the beach area was not rakes or kept clean. Poor management skills!

Room Tip: Select a different place to stay. Parkside Inn at Bridgeview excellent stay as we decided to stay a...
1 Thank Gail A
Port Huron, Michigan
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights during a trip up to Mackinaw City. With many of the area hotels now putting weight restrictions on dogs our choice was limited. Quality Inn did not have any weight restrictions (we have a 90lb Golden Retriever) so we decided to take a chance. I'm SO glad we did! We loved this place! I will say that we were in the large 4 story building that is pictured on their website. Many of the reviewers stated they were in an older 2 story. Keep in mind though, this is a very large property. They have about 5 different buildings and yes, some are older. If you are looking to be in the newer building then I would suggest calling and asking. The day before we came up, my husband called to confirm our reservation. The manager Scott was very nice and offered us the king suite for a much lower price than they were originally asking so we jumped on it. The bed was very comfortable with plenty of pillows. We had a separate living room with sofabed, tv, table and chairs, microwave, fridge and coffee pot. We also had a second tv in the bedroom. They were older tv's (probably from the 90's) but they worked just fine. We had an awesome balcony with a view of the bridge and Mackinac Island. The wifi was a little slow at times but it was free and I was able to do what I needed to do. The staff were all so extremely friendly (I'd like to especially recognize Julian!). I did not see any bugs or have a dirty bathroom as some reviewers stated. Our room was clean and fresh. No complaints here on cleanliness. In fact, maintenance even stopped by our room one day to check our filter on the AC unit to make sure it was clean.
I would not discount this hotel based on the bad reviews. Decide for yourself and again, make sure you know which building you are booking. We took a chance and have no regrets. We will actually stay here again on our next trip to Mackinaw City.

3 Thank Sparklegirl66