“September Stay”

Ranked #37 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Detroit, Michigan, United States
“September Stay”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Charming place. Limited jacuzzi suites...wasn't available for our stay. Staff upgraded room to a King Bed Suite... Beach was average, but too cold to play in the water anyway. For photo bugs, excellent room to book. Sunrises were spectacular. Room was clean and the bed was more than comfortable (careful you can sleep all day). Nice place to stay off Mac Island. If I return to Mac City... this will be the place I bunk.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed October 31, 2012

The rooms are a decent size, comfortable, clean and a short walk to the beach and a nearby restaurant. While this is no B&B, the breakfast was complete with any choices including fruit. While this Motel seemed to be fully or close to fully occupied, this place was quiet and peaceful where sleeping was easy without any interruptions from any neighboring occupants. While gasoline prices were extraordinarily high for the upper peninsula of Michigan, this motel offered a great value for such a tourist type area. I have no problem recommending the Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront motel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Stephen B
Livonia, Michigan
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Picture is very deceiving. Stayed here for 1 night for a wedding and would not recommend anyone stay at this hotel. First off, I reserved for $89 for 1 night, and a fellow co-worker saw an online price of $59. When I called back to have them match the price, they told me they could not accomodate me. I should have called and cancelled my reservation then, but I stuck with it. Upon arriving, I asked again, and they still refused to match the price. The manager got involved both times but did not care. Regarding the room itself - the sink did not work, there was a smell in the room (could not tell where it came from), and the sheets and towels smelled of this odor as well. I am not a very tall person, and the shower head was below my forehead. Lastly, breakfast was mediocre.

One last thing, the pool is separate from the hotel - meaning, you have to walk outside of the pool area, cross the parking lot, to get back to the hotel.

Overall, poor experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Angela M

Travelers are raving about these Mackinaw City hotels

Howard City, Michigan
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Was not sure about this place at first after reading reviews. The staff was excellent. I' am a ChoiceHotel member and requested an upgrade to a suite and was upgraded to a two room suite. The room was great. The cost was only $48.00 per night due it starting to be off season. I stayed on a sunday night. If it was friday or saturday the upgrade would not have been possible. The room was clean and had a great view of the lake and island. Walking distance to downtown was acceptable. Will stay there again. I have stayed at other places in Mackinaw City that cost quite a bit more that were not as nice. Remember hotels in Mackinaw City get alott of use during the summer and it is hard to keep them a 100% perfect. The breakfast was one of the best I have had lately. Overall a good place to stay.

Room Tip: In Mackinaw City try and stay Sunday thru Thursday room rates are much higher on the wekends.
1 Thank Roger M
West Olive, Michigan
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed there for two nights for the truck show. We won't be staying there again any time soon. The room we had was somewhat clean but very dated. Small television,chipped tub with old worn vinyl on the floor.
The breakfast room was filthy the first morning we went down to eat. Although we were told that breakfast was til ten, when we got there at 9;20 there were no eggs and they never did refill them. We saw an attendant come through twice without ever looking at anything. The tables were empty but dirty and there was food laying all over the food tables and the floor. By 9:45 there were still people comming in but she was taking all the food away. The next day was a bit better. The price may be right but I would pay a bit more for a cleaner and better run operation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Ypsilanti, Michigan
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I booked a 2-night stay for a bike trip in Mackinaw City. We were put in a two-room condo-type building (which looked NOTHING like the photos). When we walked in we noticed a terribly overwhelming, chemical air-freshener smell. It seriously just about knocked us out. I also noticed that the bathroom and back bedroom windows were open. Being (stupidly) positively, I thought maybe the cleaning crew accidentally dumped some cleaning product while tidying up the room.

As we unpacked, I stepped next to the bed in the front "room" of the suite and noticed that the carpet was damp...ewwww. I called to the front desk and said that I noticed the damp carpet and strange mildew odor. They said that they would send the maintenance guy out to check it out. He came in and confirmed that the carpet was wet (duh) but did no further investigation (wouldn't you be worried that there was some sort of leak?!?) and grabbed a fan from the office.

When we woke up...omg...it smelled like someone died in the room. It was the most repulsive smell I have ever smelled. I called the front desk and they said that there was nothing they could do because all of their rooms were booked even though the vacancy sign was up (as mentioned by other tripadvisor reviewers). I pitched a fit at the front desk and was able to get out of the second night without a charge, but they refused to give me a discount for the night we stayed in that [--].

Dirty room, terrible customer service, room description couldn't have been further from the truth.

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

Room Tip: We were able to get a nice room at the Fairview Inn right next door.
Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 16, 2012

This was a very nice hotel, and I was quite pleased. The room was somewhat small (but large enough for one/two). I had a private balcony looking out at Lake Huron, which was nice. The room was clean and quiet. The breakfast was surprisingly good for a mid-price motel. I even got to see Memorial Day fireworks from my balcony.

The hotel's private beach was pretty small and not that nice, but I didn't really care about that anyway.

The hotel is located about 1.5 miles from downtown Mackinaw City, but it's very close to the ferry terminals if you're going to Mackinaw Island (within walking distance).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo