“Despicable” 1 of 5 bubbles

Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront
Ranked #38 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
“Despicable”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

We arrived in Mackinaw City July 21, 2012 on Saturday afternoon around 4pm looking for a hotel. The first one we stopped at was over $300. We were told all hotels were charging that. I told them I never paid that much on my life & receptionist offered to call Quality Inn & Suites for us. They were charging $289 for Sat. & $159 for Sunday. We gave credit card number to reserve it then went to it a little down the road. They gave us key & when we went in room it was not cleaned. Beds unmade. Trash on floor. Dirty towels on chair. I called front desk & after 15 minutes housekeeping came to clean. We sat outside waiting. When I checked out Mon. morning I told receptionist I had complaint about dirty room on arrival & she asked "but they did clean it?" I said of course or we would not have slept in it & that wasn't the point. I asked if they communicate with housecleaning when rooms were ready & she said mistakes get made sometimes. I told her evidently lots get made because I read reviews after booking room. Big mistake on my part. I told her she didn't seem to care. Her whole attitude sucks. I spoke to someone who stayed 2 hotels down who paid only $89 for Sunday!

• Stayed July 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Cincinnati
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

Reserved a room with two double beds for a night and thought I was staying at the nice looking hotel in the picture. WRONG. They put us in an adjacent building that was much smaller and probably hadn't been updated since 1950's. There was a ton of bugs in the room (not bed bugs) and the room had a very bad smell. When we asked the front desk if we could move to another room preferably in the more updated building we were told there were no rooms left despite the vacancy sign being on. I'm not picky about hotels at all but this one was possibly the worst I've ever stayed at. And to top it off they charge premium rates. I wouldnt be complaining if I was paying $75 a night but for $150 that is a total ripoff. I would strongly advise anyone considering this hotel to look elsewhere. The positives: The breakfast was passable (nothing great) and the beach was okay (you're not going to spend a day there at the beach, its not that nice). We did get free admissions to the water parks for the kids so that was probably the best thing about our reservation, we could go to another hotel and use their waterpark.

Room Tip: Unless you're getting a room for under $60 look somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Livonia, Michigan, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

If you read every terrible review of this property I would agree, confirm and then tell you to stay away because it give the chain a bad name and the hotel industry a "black eye". The place was dirty, staff rude and online pictures miss representative. After complaining we were asked to leave and let me say that was the very best thing that happened since the gave me our money back!! Too many other hotels in the area that focus on personable staff, customer service and most importantly cleanlyiness! Don't waste you time in even considering this property!

Room Tip: Stay away from every room!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jim B
Pulaski, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

The location was excellent--right on the beach, with plenty of beach chairs to pull up to the water. The rooms were just so-so. Not the cleanest by any means. I didn't have any issues at check-in, but another family member's room was not ready, and it was well after check-in when we arrived. There are probably better facilities in Mackinaw City also on the waterfront.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for one night and found it over priced at $ 139 after AAA discount.
The location and views are great but the rooms, balcony and the passages were dirty. Housekeeping needs to be pulled up and more supervising from the Management. Carpets need a good shampoo as well.
There are better hotels in the same line offering more value for your money.

Room Tip: 4th floor overlooking the water.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ravi46
Ankeny, Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

We stayed at the Quality Inn in Mackinaw City, MI on the 4th of July. We were in the "old" part of the hotel. The room was dated and because of the holiday we paid $200.00. The room was very small which we were aware of at time of reservation. When I made the reservations the manager was extremely polite and helpful, but on arrival he was rude and sarcastic. He treated another guest much worse than he did me, disrespectful and condescending. The other hotel staff at the desk was great and we appreciated their help very much.

The best part of the stay was that there was an awesome view of the fireworks from the Quality Inn Beach. We could also see the fireworks from surrounding towns in the distance which was pretty neat. Also, the location was close to the ferry to Mackinac Island which was nice.

When we went to check out I approached the manager, who was working on a computer at the front desk, and there was a line for the other desk employee (the nice, polite employee). I should've known better than to attempt to get help from the manager based on his poor attitude at check in. He looked up when I approached the front desk, gave me an annoyed look and returned to his computer- didn't even speak! Very rude.

Felt like we spent a lot of money at this hotel for an adequate but dated room, and were treated very poorly by the manager. Very disappointing! I would not stay here again unless the only option.

Thank you to the front desk staff. It is obvious that the reason people return to the Quality Inn has everything to do with you and nothing to do with the manager,

Room Tip: Service from the manager was extremly poor but the other desk employees were great!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hawkfan08
Mason City, IA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

The price was unbelievable! Our room was clean but the wallpaper could use an update. The breakfast was excellent! The beach on Lake Huron has a spectacular sunset ! We enjoyed our stay and would return again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple