“You get what you pay for people.”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #31 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Mid-Michigan
“You get what you pay for people.”
Reviewed February 21, 2009

I just wanted to write a review as I didn't have a horrible stay as some other people have. This is not a brand-spanking-new motel and is by far, not up to par as far as modern-day decorating either. It is however, a GOOD value for your money, if you don't mind a little walk to get your breakfast and like the advantage of having an indoor waterpark included in the price of lodging. This would be the perfect place for a BUDGET-MINDED FAMILY to stay. I have no complaints of a dirty room; I did not notice any mildew in our room, in fact, our housekeeper left 2 kissing swan towels on our bed! (Awwww!) :) Just because the amenities are older & outdated, shouldn't make this a "horrible hotel". Well guess what people??? YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR & there are plenty of brand new facilities in Mackinaw for you to go to instead..... :)

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
michigan
Reviewed October 8, 2008

I was scheduled to arrive at the Econolodge listed above for October 10th and 11th. The woman I spoke to about the reservations said that if we needed to cancel the reservations that we needed to call by Wednesday (8th) to avoid the fee.

So, today is the 8th, and I called and "Michael" answered the phone. I told him who I was and that I requested to have the reservations cancelled. He came back on the phone with me a short time later and said, well because it is less than 72 hours I have to charge the early cancellation fee. I told him that the lady I spoke to told me I needed to call by TODAY to avoid the charge. He told me that I was given the wrong information and that I was going to be charged the amount anyways. I asked him WHY I should be penalized for HIS EMPLOYEES mistake. He said that it didnt matter that I was still going to be charged until he could listen to the recording. I asked him to let me speak to his boss, and he replied "I am the boss". I firmly said, "And there is NOTHING you can do about this, I find it VERY hard to believe." He then replied, "Well I could lose my job and NOT ANYONE IS WORTH MY LOOSING MY JOB!" I told him that I understood that his didn't want to loose his job, but on the same hand what was happening, was not in anyway, shape or form fair to ME!

Luckily, I ended up with all the glory, because he couldn't put a hold on my card, like he said he was going to. The employee wrote down the number wrong and wasn't able to pull up the card!

I'm sorry but the conversation he held was completely unprofessional, and in NO WAY willing to accommodate the customer. This day in age, you need to do that or you won't get clientel.

Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank LeannStarChewie
Michigan
Reviewed October 3, 2008

The worst hotel I have ever had the complete displeasure at residing. The hotel staff was rude and discourteous, I don't believe they knew or ever was told about the concept of "customer service". When we arrived after a 5 hour drive we were given a room that did not have a balcony, complained in a crowded office area, was moved, but told we needed to wait because the room was being cleaned. When we were finally let into the room, the wallpaper was peeling, the toilet was not cleaned, and the bathroom had a noticeable mildew problem on the entire ceiling. During checkout I bring this to the staff person - Yvette's attention, her immediate response was to blame me, the managers response was to say he does not have the time to inspect all of his rooms on a daily basis. I complained to Choice Hotels International, basically they state since the hotels are independently operated they can only request a response. This hotel is in one of the most advertised vacation destinations for the state of Michigan, how they can get away with advertising on the Michigan vacation destination website and have such disgusting facilities is completely mind boggling to me, not only should the hotel and Choice Hotels be held accountable, but also Mackinaw City Chamber of Commerce for allowing a substandard facility to operate in their midst.

• Disliked — entire hotel was disgusting
1 Thank adudley122
southern michigan
Reviewed August 16, 2008

i would not recommend this hotel to anyone. We stayed in one of the chalets it was awful..outdated ther was mold on the bottom of the window, a filthy little air conditioner unit.. it was the kind of place where you just did not want to touch anything it just felt filthy there,
the staff at the econo were rude when we complained about the room, after being there about 3 hrs we found another room across town, we told them what happene and they gave us a real good deal.
it was a costly mistake , i wish i would have came to this web site to read the reviews first..you live and you learn

• Liked — easy to find
  • Disliked — the room
1 Thank brendy90
Michigan
Reviewed August 11, 2008

The website and the pictures are deceiving. The room we had was functional but outdated - the room looked worn-out. The bedspreads and blankets had burn holes. The sink cabinet had cigaretter burns. This was supposed to be a smoke-free room. No hairdryer in room as adverstised and when I asked, they handed me one that is supposed to hang on the wall.

Outside pool and in-door pool are small and none of it looked clean. The free breakfast was in a room that reminded me of a high school cafeteria. The waffles, scrambled eggs, gravy, biscuits were not good at all. For the remaining stay we ate breakfast at a restaurant in town.

Staff was accomodating but not helpful. I felt like I was imposing when I asked a question.

It really wasn't "terrible" but it wasn't "okay" either. We feel the room was way over-priced for what we got. We would not stay there again.

1 Thank Ladybug0227
Esko, MN
Reviewed August 1, 2008

This was the worst hotel I've ever visited. The "spacious and comfortable suite" was actually a cramped little cabin with a horid smell. I tried opening windows to air out the odor, but only one of the three windows had a screen. I pulled back the curtain on one window and discovered it covered in cob webs. On another window, the curtain fell off. There was a stain above the shower that I suspect is mold. Wallpaper is bubbling and peeling. Topping it all, I found the smoke detector inside the desk with no batteries. We checked out after one night.

• Liked — It's in Mackinaw
  • Disliked — The smell
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed July 9, 2008

We stayed at the Econo Lodge for 3 nights in Mackinaw City, during the middle of the week. I considered cancelling my reservation after reading some of the reviews, but the Econo Lodge was within our budget and many of the other hotels were not.

I would recommend that they advertise a little better. The hot breakfast bar is at the Comfort Inn Suites, right next door but still a little different than what you might expect, and the waterpark is used by several different hotels and not exclusive to Econo Lodge. It is located right in between the Econo Lodge and Comfort Inn Suites, very convenient, but, when shared with a number of hotels can become quite busy.

Our room was clean and fresh when we arrived, the furnishings were well maintained, (although I did question the stand for the mini fridge which had no legs). The decor was what you should expect from a travel lodge nothing fancy (our bathroom fixtures were all blue, but clean).

The staff was courteous and helpful (except for the waterpark staff which really should take more interest in what is happening around them instead of just being there). The waterpark itself was great. It was a great time filler for my boys ages 10 and 11 between outings.

All in all, if you are going to Mackinaw City to enjoy the city and the island, this is a perfect place to stay. If you are going so you can stay in your hotel and be pampered with luxuries and services, this is not for you.

• Liked — Location to Waterpark and City.
  • Disliked — Office, dining and suites all in different buildings.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family