“Horrible hotel”

Ranked #36 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Esko, MN
“Horrible hotel”
Reviewed August 1, 2008

This was the worst hotel I've ever visited. The "spacious and comfortable suite" was actually a cramped little cabin with a horid smell. I tried opening windows to air out the odor, but only one of the three windows had a screen. I pulled back the curtain on one window and discovered it covered in cob webs. On another window, the curtain fell off. There was a stain above the shower that I suspect is mold. Wallpaper is bubbling and peeling. Topping it all, I found the smoke detector inside the desk with no batteries. We checked out after one night.

• Liked — It's in Mackinaw
  • Disliked — The smell
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed July 9, 2008

We stayed at the Econo Lodge for 3 nights in Mackinaw City, during the middle of the week. I considered cancelling my reservation after reading some of the reviews, but the Econo Lodge was within our budget and many of the other hotels were not.

I would recommend that they advertise a little better. The hot breakfast bar is at the Comfort Inn Suites, right next door but still a little different than what you might expect, and the waterpark is used by several different hotels and not exclusive to Econo Lodge. It is located right in between the Econo Lodge and Comfort Inn Suites, very convenient, but, when shared with a number of hotels can become quite busy.

Our room was clean and fresh when we arrived, the furnishings were well maintained, (although I did question the stand for the mini fridge which had no legs). The decor was what you should expect from a travel lodge nothing fancy (our bathroom fixtures were all blue, but clean).

The staff was courteous and helpful (except for the waterpark staff which really should take more interest in what is happening around them instead of just being there). The waterpark itself was great. It was a great time filler for my boys ages 10 and 11 between outings.

All in all, if you are going to Mackinaw City to enjoy the city and the island, this is a perfect place to stay. If you are going so you can stay in your hotel and be pampered with luxuries and services, this is not for you.

• Liked — Location to Waterpark and City.
  • Disliked — Office, dining and suites all in different buildings.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Orlando, FL
Reviewed June 30, 2008

The entire facility is filthy! Tiles were missing in the bathroom. What the website describes as a chalet is a run-down cabin which could stand a good cleaning. Wallpaper is coming off the walls, the sheets make you itch and the bedrooms do not have a/c, only a box fan with dirt on the blades. I would have been more comfortable sleeping in a car in the parking lot. This place charges more per night than the other hotels/motels in the city. Save money and stay anywhere else!!

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — It was very dirty
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Mackinaw City hotels

ftchute
Reviewed June 17, 2008

I will admit that I was first cautious about staying here based on some of the previous reviews I had read but decided to continue with our stay. We stayed in the Motel part of the facility. The room was clean and fresh when we first arrived and was cleaned and freshened nicely on a daily basis. The chrome in the bathroom was spotless. The heating and cooler unit worked well since we had to use both during our stay and both the coffee maker and mini fridge were new. There was plenty of hot water and the beds were comfortable.

The Free Hot Breakfast was served at the neighboring Comfort Suites and was well prepared with many selections that were continually being resupplied including Scrambled Eggs, Sausage, Biscuits and Gravy as well as the make your own Waffles. Toast, cereal, fresh fruit were also part of the assortment. Food was available all the way till the end of the scheduled open times and then some. That is not always the case with many motel’s ‘Free’ breakfasts.

The game room and exercise rooms were simple but clean. The Indoor Water Park however was a real hit with our kid’s ages 7 and 14. There is a decent pool and a large hot tub area for the adults and older children while the Pirates Splash Park, though designed for younger kids, had even the parents getting wet on the 3 smaller water slides, shot by water cannons and being dumped on by all sorts of tipping water devises. We all had a blast. There is an outdoor pool as well as a small playground for younger kids.

The front desk staff was very courteous friendly and helpful even calling you by name when they saw you. At check out there were no surprises and the bill was exactly what it was supposed to be.

Overall I would say that we were very satisfied with the motel facilities and staff and would definitely recommend this property to others. This is and Econo Lodge so don’t expect a five star hotel, but it is a great value and the location is excellent.

• Liked — Location, Free Hot Breakfast and the Water Park
  • Disliked — Peeling Wallpaper
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Wheaton, IL
Reviewed September 17, 2007

If you want to visit the island, tour Mack City, see the fort and the bridge, this is a great little hotel and it is inexpensive compared to its neighbors. It also had a great free Wi-fi hook-up. We travel with dogs and because we were traveling after Labor Day we chose to do it without reservations. I had, however, pulled down a list of pet friendly accomodations in Mack City and the Econo Lodge was one of them. We got a rate of $58/night because we arrived on a Sunday and left on a Tuesday. It was immediately across from the ferry for the island for which the hotel gave us $3 coupons. They did not charge extra for the dogs. We had a room on the 2nd floor (no elevator) in the new building behind the "chalets". It had a comfortable king, TV, fridge, balcony and full bath. It was a bit cramped, but we weren't in it for long periods of time. The hotel shared access to the indoor water area at the Comfort Inn next door as well as that was where your free breakfast was to be had. We walked to dinner and I walked up to and back from the main strip of shops. If you are looking for a hotel that will entertain your children this is not it. Make sure you get space in the new wing, not in the chalets.

• Liked — Proximity to tourist areas and ferry
  • Disliked — size of room, could have been a wee bit larger.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lizzietig
Michigan
Reviewed August 1, 2007

While I will admit, this wasnt a "WOW" or blow you away with the view hotel, it was just fine. The room was a plain two bed, one bath room. It was clean and did the job. The bathroom was plenty big and the room as well. As for the water park and the free breakfast buffet, as others have mentioned, it is at the next door property. But, the next door property was only steps away and these items were only about 50 steps from our room door. It was closer than if we had stayed at the next door property itself. The water park was fun for our daughter and the indoor pool/hot tub was clean and ncie to use. We paid $78.00 a night in July, compaired to $120.00 and up at many of the other hotels. We got what we expected for the price. It was right on the street with all the hotels/shops and we had no problems with a very short walk to the ferry rides and beach right accross the street. If you are expecting a penthouse view and silk sheets, you should not be thinking you are going to get it for a fraction of the cost of the other water front rooms. If you are expecting an affordable stay for your family with clean rooms, then this place may be for you. Dont't let the prior reviews scare you off, as I almost did. I am glad to have saved the money to use on other things on our trip.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — not on the water front
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank larredc
Zimmerman, MN
Reviewed July 15, 2007

I booked this hotel from the Choicehotels.com webiste. I apparently didn't do enough research as I saw the 2BR Suite with the Indoor Pool and Free Hot Breakfast and figured it was a nice place for my family. What I didn't see from the website was that it was a small, dirty, and smelly 2BR "hut". What the website didn't mention was that the indoor pool was across the parking lot at the Comfort Suites. What the website also failed to mention was that the hot breakfast was also at the Comfort Suites.

When I complained at the front desk that I felt duped and wanted to check out, they basically told me that I was out of luck and wanted to charge me another night stay. I complained enough that they decided not to charge me. The manager and desk clerk were both rude and unprofessional. Beware!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Misleading website advertising
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family