“Not what we expected”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #31 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night. We were not impressed. Our cabin had 3 lights burned out the shower and toilet had hair in them. There was cobwebs and the bed was like sleeping on a board. The staff was unfriendly as well. We will not return to this place.

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank Amanda K
There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge

Reviewed June 19, 2013

The Econolodge Bay View in Mackinaw city, is misrepresenting themselves, Their add on the main Mackinaw website states that they have 2 pools, 2 hot tubs, a water park, a sauna, and a exercise room and a 25ft breakfast bar. Well technically it is right, but they do not mention anywhere on the page that they are all at the Comfort Inn next door! They do have a outdoor pool &whirlpool, but it was too cold for us to use it. The room was ok, dead bugs on 2 of the walls, the floor around one of the beds was wet (from what I can't say) The beds were ok, not the worst I have ever slept on, but after seeing the dead bugs I checked the beds to make sure it was bug free. The staff were ok when we checked in, but when I called them with questions they were very impatient and seemed put out by my phone call. I wish I would have checked out the reviews before booking us there. I will not be recommending this hotel to anyone! I even heard the management yelling at a staff who appeared to be getting ready to do laundry.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank conchita123
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We had a room at the econo lodge but were diverted to the cabins in front of the econo lodge, by the econo lodge desk staff. Room was filthy and smelled of mildew. Bathroom smelled of urine, stains on carpet, refrigerator was on a piece of wood that kept it of the floor and the temp control knob was missing, so our soda was frozen. Room was drab, dark and dreary. The bed mattress leaned to one side, and let's not forget about the bugs (spiders). After all this, the maid even left a gratuity envelope for us. I have NEVER seen anything like this in all my stays anywhere!!! The only items in the room that were clean were the towels! Not a representative of a city with alot of shopping and attractions to be had.

Room Tip: It's a crap shoot if you stay there.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank pasterys4me
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I've stayed at a lot of places, but this one is by far the worst. This hotel has no idea what customer service is. I will give you the condensed version: We booked online far ahead of time and got an excellent rate for this hotel. It had a water park and we were happy to have a place for the kids to play. We frequented the Choice Hotel chain and had a discount card for being loyal customers. The night before we were supposed to arrive the hotel called us at 10:30 at night to confirm our reservation. I thought it was very odd that they would call so late. I told them we would be there. The next day we arrived a half hour before check in and we were told that there was a problem with our room. Basically, they had given it away! They claimed they tried to charge our credit card and it was declined. My husband then came in to see what was taking me so long and right away the manager was extremely hostile to us.They were very evasive and rude and the lady at the front desk said that they tried to call us that morning to tell us but no one answered. I kept asking her when she called and she wouldn't answer. Finally I told her that our home phone is forwarded to my cell phone so if they tried to call I would have received it on my cell. She got a very blank look on her face and didn't say anything. She then said I must have been in a "dead" area. I asked her why there wasn't a message on my voicemail as she claimed to have left a message when she called. She then yelled at me “Don’t tell me how to do my job!”. The manager offered to “Call around to (her) friends” and find us another room, but “you’re going to pay a higher rate”. Obviously we were getting nowhere with her so we asked to speak to corporate customer service. She dialed someone but it was not corporate anything. I believe it was the owner of the hotel. He was a complete jerk. He yelled at my husband on the phone and told him to get out of the hotel lobby or he was calling the police on us. He then said and if we pursued this we would be “sued for slander”. This was a busy weekend and we couldn't find a hotel anywhere else, they were all booked solid. We honestly didn't know what to do. We had two kids, were 200 miles from home and had nowhere to go. I called the 800 number on my reservation and they were very helpful and told me my reservation at the Econo Lodge was still valid, but couldn't help me further because there were no rooms left there. A family member was staying at another hotel and was finally able to get us a room (at twice the rate we had reservations for!).

When we arrived home I received a customer survey in my email. I completed it and someone from customer service replied and was very helpful. I sent her a long letter along with photographic evidence of what I was saying (Late night phone calls. etc.) The "apology" letter I received from the GM at Econo Lodge was a joke. It was in ALL CAPS. APPARENTLY SHE DOESN'T KNOW THAT MEANS YOU ARE YELLING AT THE READER. lol She basically accused my husband and I of acting like fools and threatening to assault her. That did NOT happen. I would never do that. (I prefer to review them on Trip Advisor as that has a better lasting impact that yelling at someone for 30 seconds ever could.) Writing "I apologize" at the end of a letter does not make an apology.

I was so angry at the way I was treated, and then insulted by this ridiculous "apology" that I wrote a letter to the CEO of Choice Hotels, who replied back that he didn't see anything wrong with the way the Econo Lodge Mackinaw City handled themselves. Apparently it's normal for his representatives to lie to customers and yell at them in front an entire lobby of people. I guess this hotel chain doesn't see a problem with their representatives calling people at 10:30 at night, or threatening to call the police or sue them.

When I said I'd stay in a tent again I was not kidding. The next time we returned to Mackinaw City we stayed at a campground rather than book a room here. I would never give the Econo Lodge Mackinaw City or Choice Hotels any of my money. They have lost a very loyal customer.

3  Thank bluepig112
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at the Econo Lodge for one night on the way home from the UP. We got a cheap deal on a room but we were in a really old building behind the cabins. The hotel room was horrible and the bathroom was dirty. I will not be staying here again.

2  Thank Jenny H
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Nice hotel if breakfast not important

Overall, this is a good hotel. It is clean, comfortable, and conveniently located. We did not notice any stains on the sheets or mold in the bathroom. The new wood walls were a nice touch.

The attached water park also nice. It was clean, warm enough, and not too crowded. It is not anywhere as big or fancy as someplace like Great Wolf Lodge, but it kept our two boys entertained for hours (at a fraction of the cost).

Before staying here, there are two things you should know:

(1) Breakfast needs some work. At least two hotels share the same breakfast. On top of that, it only runs from 6:30 to 8:30. As a result, by 8:00 there is quite a line for the hot items (eggs, sausage, waffles). The room is not quite big enough to seat everybody, and there isn't quite enough staff to keep all the stations full. We had very few problems when we were up and to breakfast by 7:40; but on the days we slept in, breakfast was not pleasant. (Of course, if you are an early riser, or don't eat breakfast at the hotel this won't be a problem for you.)

(2) Prices at this hotel vary considerably. We watched hotel prices for about two weeks before booking our hotel. During that time prices for the first two weeks of August varied from $59 to $139 per night. For those who intend to use the water park, anything under $70/night is a great deal, and anything under $100/night would be a good deal. I wouldn't pay over $100 for this hotel at any time of the year.

In summary: I don't think that we could have found a better value for this particular trip. We would be happy to stay here again if we planned to use the water park; however, if we weren't planning to have a lot of time to swim, or if the price was over $100, we would almost certainly look at other hotels first.

2  Thank gvlaker
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stay here every October during the Fall Bridge Run. This year was our third year staying at this facility. The rooms are very clean and the location is convenient for walking to restaurants or to you lots of shopping.

Room Tip: We stayed in the rooms behind the new cabins. They are located so you can basically walk to town an...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple