“Very Reasonable For Mackinaw City”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #37 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Niles, Mi
“Very Reasonable For Mackinaw City”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed for two nights while visiting Mackinac Island. The motel is located right across from the Star Line Ferry to Mackinac Island, which is very convenient. Our ground floor two bed room was clean, large and had a porch with two chairs. Parking is in front of your room. If you have problems climbing stairs, get a ground floor room, because the stairs to the second floor are a hard climb. They didn’t provide a hair dryer, but I asked for one at the front desk, it was to be returned at check out. A free copy of; US Today is also available in the front office in the morning. Breakfast was the usual Choice Hotels fare. The breakfast area is very large, clean and is located above the water park. It is well supplied with scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, waffles, cereal, etc. The breakfast area is shared with two other motels and can become crowded later in the morning, so go early. The Econo Lodge also shares a large indoor water park with Comfort Suites which is on the same property. You will receive wrist bands for free use of the water park at check in. If you are travelling with children and/or teenagers this is a large bonus for staying at this Econo Lodge. The AARP rate through comforthotels.com is very reasonable for a motel that is located in the downtown area. My wife and I were very satisfied with our stay at this Econo Lodge, we will return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Old_Geezer2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Saint Clair Shores, Michigan
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We booked (2) 2 bedroom cabins (with sitting rooms) next to each other, because we had dogs with us. They gave us just one key for each cabin...then proceeded to give out a "master" key to
someone checking in ---FOR OUR ROOM! These patrons walked right into our room! And we had dogs! There could have been a castrophe! The manager apologized and took a small amount off our bill, but I don't think I will stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lvgal61
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We found this place in AAA travel guide that had a picture of cozy cabins that had been remodeled in 2010. That was true on the outside ,but the inside was awful. Nothing like even this website shows in the picture. It was very pricey. it was over $100.00 . I don't know if they gave us their worst room because we had a AAA coupon or what. Now I am afraid to even try another Econo Lodge anywhere. This place was beautiful on the outside, and awful on the inside where you stay.

Room Tip: We book on the phone and the person at the desk said we were to late to cancel. Because of that we...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Skip and Rita R

Travelers are raving about these Mackinaw City hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I stayed just after July 4th 2012 and my experience was pleasant. Room was clean, smelled like cedar since the building is made of that wood. Beds were ok if a little too thin. But only paid $55 plus tax which is a good deal for a "vacation" area of Michigan. Did not have their breakfast because we went to a restaurant that had "buy one buffet get one free" down the street. So I can't comment on the quality of the breakfast.

Room Tip: The "deluxe cabin rooms" or whatever they call them are in the front of the property. I di...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank KarenCarpenterFan
paris ontario
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I arrived in Mackinaw City during their busy tourist season, and rooms were pricey, and scarce. I found a room at the above hotel, and was quoted a price of $159.00 per night,but after showing my CAA card ,was reduced to $129.00. The unspoken attitude of the manager,was,"If you don';t take ti, somebody else will" When I arrived at the room, it was not made up, and I had to wait 10 minutes for it to be completed! The room was very small, with two double beds,an old fashioned TV [not flat screen], and a mid-nineties decor. The tiny fridge [knee-high] sat on a wooden platform, on the floor, and the coffee maker was on top of it,so that you had to stoop to access both appliances. The carpet was filthy,with many suspicious stains, that I dare not walk around in my bare feet! In the bathroom, you could reach out and touch both walls,and the sink/vanity measured about 2 and a half feet by 3 feet. There was some black matter along the tub and floor, that could,or could not be mold! The security lock on the door did not work,so I spent the night without a secondary lock. Sleep did not come easy, as I could hear every footstep made by the guests in the room above me.For breakfast, in the morning, you had to cross the parking lot, to the Quality Suites, next door, and ride the elevator to the third floor to the dining area,which was over their Waterpark. I missed breakfast,due to the fact that Saturday hours were from 6 A.M to 8.30 A.M.! I Would Never spend another night at this property! ....Jerry Paris Ontario Canada

Room Tip: Don't go there!!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank jerry l
pentwater, mi
Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

False advertising on the website. The cabins you see on the website are NOT the ones you will get unless specifically asked for. Mr Nau, I assume the manager, is rude and condescending. Yvette, in the office, was very helpful and pleasant. The place needs a good cleaning. The manager needs a lesson in management. The 1 room chalets are at least 60 years old and need refurbishing.
The 2 story cabins need the porches cleaned up spiders and bug droppings. The inside rug could use a nice scrubbing too. For 150 dollars stay elsewhere. BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jegaPentwater_Mi
Reviewed June 28, 2012 via mobile

We knew the hut wasn't going to be a cabin. The value price gave us value accommodations. We actually spent our first night in a hotel room, and 3 nights in the hut. We would have been just as far ahead in a room for less dollars.
We changed our reservation at the last minute and they were very nice about the change. We did have to check-out in the morning and couldn't check back in until after 3. The attitude of the front desk personnel was indifferent to bothered with each interaction becoming worse. This is definitely a "this is what it is - take it or leave it" place to stay. 1 towel per guest limit.

• Stayed June 2012