“Old, worn out, way too much $ for what you get”

Knights Inn Mackinaw City
Ranked #34 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Reviewed August 8, 2011

If this room had been $39.95, I wouldn't have left this bad review. So when our reservation came in at $120 + tax, we expected more. We experienced a very old motel room with stained carpet, tiny, old, patched up bathroom, and a unusable, terrible shower. None of us could take a shower since the water was either SCALDING HOT or FREEZING COLD and would shift constantly between the two temps no matter how you tried to balance the flow. The man at the desk appeared to be bothered in general and esp by my request for extra pillows. In all fairness, he appeared to have a physical disability so we don't want to blame him too much. The hotel advertised a free breakfast. Here's what we greeted us in the cramped, outdated lobby: a 12-pack of mini donuts from the conveniecne store, bad coffee, and a couple of old apples . All of this might have been funny/charming had it not been for the way-too-high-discounted price we paid for the night. We certainly were not expecting a four-star hotel, BUT we thought the experience would be much better considering our typical stays for $70-90. Our advice to the owners? Listen to the reviews, fix the things that don't work (especially the hot/cold shower issue), update, clean your carpets, take 15 minutes to reconsider what you serve for breakfast. Perhaps it is that the whole area in the UP where we stayed is over-priced? Nonetheless, we stayed the night previous at Niagara Falls where room rates were less and the rooms 100-times better.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Knights Inn Mackinaw City

Reviewed June 17, 2011

Room appeared clean, but very much needing updating. Bathroom was very, very small. The internet was not working at all even though it is offered "free wi-fi". We went to speak to the manager and he seemed rather annoyed and replied, "I don't recall you asking about the internet and informed us we needed a user name and password." In most situations, a hotel clerk would write this down for a guest, but he gave it to me verbally to remember. After countless times of trying, we still never connected. The TV in our room wouldn't work at all and was all scrambled. Again spoke to the manager and his reply was " the housekeeper must have not checked it and he didn't know that it wasn't working." He further stated that he would have to wait for his wife to return home before he could look at it and for US to wiggle the cables. We walked out the office thinking that we were an inconvience to him. So after the wife came home she (who was nice and attempted to be accomodating) she couldn't get the internet or the TV to work. At this point we decided that we were going to attempt to find another room in the area. It was Friday night at 6:30 p.m. and I got on the phone with Choice Hotels and complained and they got us another, much nicer room in St. Ignace for the same price as this hotel.
I will never ever stay at this hotel again... Between the outdated non-working equipment, the uncaring attitude of the male manager, no chain locks on the doors and the noise of the freeway, this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2009

We stayed at this motel for one night. The owner, Dave, was nice. For a short stay, the room was perfect. The room was small and clean. The motel hasn't been updated (except for the carpet), so it's quite old. No hair dryer in the room, but there is a coffee maker. Nice restaurant next door....great for all three meals.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 26, 2008

The hotel's location is very nice and you can see the foot of the bridge from your window as well as beautiful lilac bushes and a windmill.
I was shocked to find out that the part of the hotel we stayed in had two sliding glass doors and no solid exterior door. This was a real nightmare for us, as our 18-year-old son has severe autism and does not have the ability to keep himself safe.
I went to the front desk upon checking in and realizing we could never keep him safe in that room and explained the problem. After waiting for a group of people and their huge dog to be helped, I explained our situation. The man at the desk told me there was only one other room. I took the key to that room to go check it out while my husband was in the other one hanging onto my son so he could not get out.
The other room had one normal exterior door and one sliding door. There was a wasp in the room that I tried to kill so I could look over the room. It doesn't take long to look over the rooms, as they are very small.
Since we had already booked online and I wouldn't get my money back, we accepted the other room, but not happy about it. The wasp survived my attempt to kill it and my husband finally got it and then spent the next 20 minutes looking for the body on the floor. We had to rig up some clever ways to block my son from having access to the sliding door. I didn't sleep well worrying about it all.
There are no amenities to speak of, but the room was clean and there were no noisy guests. Don't plan on anything good to eat at their breakfast. It's not far from the ferry boat docks and is right by the lake. You can walk literally half a block and be at the waterfront where Lake Huron and Lake Michigan meet and walk right underneath the beautiful Mackinaw Bridge.
We had other family members who stayed in another room. I had booked their room for a rollaway bed. The man at the front desk asked if we REALLY needed it. We did! He brought it down later and it barely fit. You could barely squeeze through to get to the bathroom after it was unfolded.
It's not the place for you if you have someone with autism or another disability with you!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 28, 2008

while clean, and employing a pleasant staff, this motel is extremely old and in dire need of an update. And for the price that they charge, they should be able to afford the upgrades that they need. The small chipped and cracked sink hung on the wall with a metal shelf mounted above it - I guess it was their idea of a vanity. The tub was so old, it was permanently stained. A drop ceiling is obviously in place to hide the other defects that I am sure are above it. Breakfast was bread - oh, you can toast it. My advice, pay more and get a whole lot more bang for your buck somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 25, 2008

We stayed on a Friday night. Had no reservation, was given a room immediately. Friendly owner. We were on a motorcycle. Asked for some older towels to clean the cycle. Owner was very helpful.

Only glitch we had was the a/c in the room was not working properly. The room was clean. Great value. Would recommend this facility.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2007

Nice clean hotel for a very fair price on a Wednesday night.
Honored a AAA discount after quoting standard room rate.
The owner operators are very friendly people. Even when we asked for extra pillows at 10 pm the service was givin with a smile .

-Paul from New Hampshire