“Good stay!”

Comfort Inn Lakeside
Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Drove in to Mackinaw City at 9:00 a.m. and found several "vacancy" signs. This was the only one that honored it. Great room. Easy access and not a bad breakfast. Easy access to the beachfront. I will return.

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
Janelle T, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Lakeside, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2014

Thanks for staying with us. We look forward to seeing you again !

Reviewed August 5, 2014

As frequent visitors of Comfort Brand Hotels, this is the worst hotel of any brand at which we have ever stayed. I gave the manager a couple weeks to respond, and because I haven't heard back. I am sharing our displeasure. First, we were given 3 phone calls to return confirming our arrival time to the hotel. We have never had that, weird. The front desk people were "odd" with an attitude to my husband. Our room was disgusting. The wallpaper was peeling off the wall. The walls looked like "fudge" (I'll assume because of the location) had been wiped on them. Dirty. Live spiders, spider webs in corners and in the light fixtures next to the beds. When I went to the front desk, and stated the condition and that it hasn't been stayed in awhile, I was told, with an eye roll, "we are booked every night." Our "new" room was cleaner but still had spiders. GROSS. Morning breakfast person is a delight. Energetic, helpful, efficient. Not much room to eat. We won't be back.

Room Tip: go elsewhere
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank famtrips_10
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Great location, close to the ferry docks, lots of restaurants within walking distance and the best part is that it's located right on the water. The views are beautiful. In spite of those things, I'm not sure the amenities, physical condition of the building and customer service received is worth the $209.00 rate (plus tax and fees). I understand you are capitalizing on a busy summer weekend, however make the experience worth the price of the room. First start out by replacing your female front desk associate or at the every least, give her a intense lesson in customer service. We checked in on a Saturday around 5:30pm, peak arrival time. You would think you would receive a friendly greeting (actually any type of greeting would have been an improvement), a smile or even just being acknowleged walking in the lobby would be expected at check in. Not with this carmudgeon that was working. I've seen sea gulls with better personalities. You need to realize that the front desk person is a guest's first impression of the hotel and oftentimes of the entire area. If I have a bad experience from the start, I'm going to be looking for things to complain about. For all the money the State of Michgian has pumped into the Pure Michigan campaing to increase travel, you deserve to have a representative at your front desk that gives the guest a pleasant experience. If I'm spending my hard earned dollars travelling to upper Michigan and I encounter your front desk person right off the bat, I'm most likely never going to return because there are plenty of other places to spend my money.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lakeside have beautiful views.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Great location. Lots to see and do within walking distance. Older hotel, needs some TLC inside and out. We had dinner across the street at the Lighthouse Restaurant, (not impressed). Lot of ice cream shops nearby. We were able to walk to the ferry that takes you over to Mackinaw Island.A real tourist town. A lot of souvenir shops close to the hotel. If I were ever in Mackinaw City again, I would stay here.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Janelle T, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Lakeside, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Thank you for staying at the Comfort Inn. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed July 15, 2014

Great location - right on Lake Huron and within walking distance of many shops, restaurants and ferries. However, the hotel needs some updating inside and out.

The space we had was a good size, 3 bedrooms, one bath, living area with kitchen and the suite was clean. However the decor was very outdated and the air conditioning situation was odd (window unit in the main room; two portable units in the bedrooms). The full kitchen had plenty of counter space, but the stove didn't appear to work since the knobs for the burners were missing. We weren't planning on cooking our own meals so this wasn't a problem for us.

The beds were comfortable and we appreciated that there were televisions in each bedroom and free wi-fi.

While our suite was clean, we were not impressed with the cleanliness of the stairs and hallway outside our suite. When we arrived it was obvious that the carpet had not been vacuumed in many days. There were also dozens of dead mosquitoes on the window sill in the hallway. We reported this to the front desk and later the stairs were vacuumed but the dead bugs littered the window sill throughout our stay.

The breakfast was fine but the set up was less than ideal. There were 3 or 4 small tables crammed into a very small area, far from where the food is prepared, forcing the breakfast staffer to have to carry heavy pots of coffee and other food items across the parking lot. The whole thing isn't comfortable for guests or staff.

We appreciated having the extra large space for our family of 5, but would probably look for a different hotel if we were to return.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2014

This hotel was a last minute find and was a good choice. Close to downtown Mackinaw and Mackinaw Crossings so all you have to do is walk across the street. Located between the ferries that take you to Mackinaw Island. Rooms with lake view balconies have magnificent views and in the morning you can barely open the curtains due to the beautiful sunrise! Only issue would be better lighting in the hallways, we had an end room and the lights are apparently on a timer which at 9 pm you'd think they'd be on so that was a little iffy but other than that, no complaints!

Room Tip: If you can, choose a room on the lakeside
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jaime R
Janelle T, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Lakeside, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Thank you for choosing the Comfort Inn Lakeside ! Yes, the morning sunrises from our beach & lakefront rooms are gorgeous. We hope you visit again.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

I stayed at the Comfort Inn Lakeside (not to be confused with another Comfort Inn down the street) for two nights at the end of June 2014 in a first floor room. The room was clean and the decor was up-to-date. The bed and the pillows were very comfy! I was put off by an envelope left with the maid's first name and a pre-printed "request" to leave something if the room looked good. I did leave a tip however because I usually do that anyway. The free breakfast was good. It consisted of scrambled eggs, sausage, a waffle maker, bagels, donuts, cereal, etc. My two complaints were that there were five tables in the eating area inside and the counter was too close to the tables leaving little room to maneuver if there were more than five people trying to get breakfast at the same time. There were outside tables but the weather was too chilly and the mayflies had hatched and were swarming like crazy. The hotel was a quick walk to ferries to take you to Mackinac Island, to area restaurants, and to the tourist shops. Overall I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank karrygdar
Janelle T, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Lakeside, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

Thank you for the review. We look forward to having you stay with us again !