“Not worth it!!!! (unless you like bats)”

Comfort Inn Lakeside
Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Reviewed August 25, 2008

First of all don't even think they will let you check in early, when they say 4 PM, that is what time you will check in (not a minute sooner). As far as the Hotel (motel in my book, You enter rooms from outside). Wasn't anything fance just plain rooms, lots of bats outside of rooms in hallways, one bat did even chase our son down the hallway at night, talked to front desk about it and they said they will TRY to remove them, but insisted they are harmless. Harmless or not we didn't pay that much money to have our kids afraid to walk to the pool or car every night. All in all I would not recommend this hotel at all, the only thing we did like about the stay was the very friendly lady doing the morning breakfast. Pool and Hot tub could use a good cleaning as well.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank gpofd30

Reviewed August 18, 2008

First of all I went here for my 30th birthday. What a dissappointment. My inlaws came with us. Saturday morning they woke up to find bed bugs in their room (room 115) we took the bug to the front desk and the lady denied it was a bed bug. Only to find out it was after looking on the internet. Wasn't hard to verify. The hotel moved them into another room next door that was non-smoking only to have the room just reek of smoke. My husband and I stayed 4 rooms down from them were we ran out of hot water in the morning, had bats living by our doorway and hanging & sleeping. We also did not have wireless internet as stated on the site & brochure.
The cleaning lady said that the bats won't bother if left alone, but they can emit rabies if they are awake. They did remove some of the bats, only to find more later at night when we got back to the hotel.
When we checked out we had asked for a discount or something to accomodate the problem and they said that they won't do anything about it.
The hotel was expensive and not worth the money.
As for the indoor water park, very kid friendly, but the water is ice ice cold and the hot tub area was only luke warm.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank nellies96
Reviewed July 11, 2008

We had a terrible experience with this particular hotel. I found out last week that three of my family members died in an accident. My husband called that same day to let the hotel know we would need to cancel our reservations. Their response "because we hadn't called by noon, there was nothing they could do, and charged us for the room". After repeated phone calls we still have gotten no where. We are now in the process of fighting it through our bank.
I have never heard of such a thing especially with everything else I am going through.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank amdgr
Reviewed July 6, 2008

During our trip to mackinaw we stayed at the lakeside because of the location, right on the beach, and to save money by staying in the city as opposed to the island. It did as promised, but i think there are some things they can work on.

- hotel service was mostly uninformative, 'here's your keys' feel to check-in service.

- our room smelled like smoke on check-in even though there were non-smoking signs outside the door. had to open the porch door to air it out a bit while we were at dinner.

- Lakeside is advertised that it has wifi, but the signal is too weak to connect in any of the rooms. I called the front desk and they told me it was because of weather... the next two days it was perfectly sunny and still nothing.

- housekeeping forgot toiletries, no big deal, but when we called to see if we could have some brought up, it took them an hour and a half before they got around to it. Not to mention the housekeepers clean rooms up until 5 or 6pm, when most people need to get into their rooms to get ready for dinner. We came back after a day spent on the island to find the room wasn't serviced and that we would need to leave our room if we wanted it cleaned.

- the pool was also unimpressive, towels were dirty that were put out, and chlorine overload in the hot tub that is enough to burn your eyes.

- couldn't even get in the door for breakfast and had to dodge everyone and everything to grab an average continental breakfast. Skipped it on the second day.

Overall, I'd probably stay at a different, newer, hotel the next time I'm up there. There just isn't really a reason to come back.

4  Thank travelguy73
Reviewed June 26, 2008

Most of the reviews below seem fair. This hotel was okay, but certainly wasn't anything grand. The view was very nice and we had a second floor lakeside room. We didn't have a huge issue without the elevator, but that could certainly be a problem for some.

The breakfast wasn't too bad: waffles, juice, boiled eggs, breads, cereal. Nothing to drive out of your way for, but I've had worse too! It got us full to head over to the island and thats all we needed. Do plan on getting it and taking it to your room though. They have plenty of trays available for just that reason.

It was nice to have access to the "water park" down at the Comfort Inn Suites. Our children enjoyed that.

DON'T BOOK THE TROLLEY TOUR!!! On some site you have the option of book an old fashioned trolley tour for about $5. This is NOT the main trolley tour in town that cost $25 or more. We booked this thinking it was savings - oops. There is one pick up (which was at 5:00 for us) and that is it. Its a loop around the city and you don't get on and off. Come to find out - its actually a tour of the various places that this hotel owner also owns, and the other passengers are "suckers" from his other properties. I mean really, what trolley tour stops in the parking lot of a minature golf course to talk about how fun it is! Save your time and money on that one! The drive didn't go down the main strip I'm assuming because thats where the owners competitors are. He did stop at and talk about a "wonderful" bar and grill on the corner- oddly enough a place you get a discount at... because he owns that too!

The check in policy was not flexible at all. Do not expect to get in litterally one minute early. The suggested we could change the kids in the bathroom to take them to the pool. The didn't mention at first that we had the option of the waterpark down the road, we found that out from another guest. Had that been offered, they wait for a room wouldn't have been so bad.

Overall it was ok, I'd probably look for someplace else on the next trip up though.

2  Thank dwlipham
Reviewed June 24, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for two nights. One night prior to our trip to Mackinac Island and one night upon our return from Mackinac Island. The location is ideal for this. The hotel is close to the ferries which provide transportation to the Island. We found the hotel to be clean and neat with a friendly staff. If you stay here, however, I would suggest you skip the continental breakfast. We checked it out the first morning and found the food to be minimal and the space to be very small as well. There was not enough food or room for all the guests. There are, however, several reasonably priced restaurants just up the street so we had breakfast there, and it worked out fine.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Plainsgirl
Reviewed June 20, 2008

They had very poor customer services...I called about 48 hours before to cancel reservation since i was in hospital with bad sickness and i had to cancel my trip..They did not cancel reservation and said policy is to cancel reservation before 72 hours or get charged for full room fee(????) Then I found my credit card statement and they have charged me for full room fee with tax (for the services i never received)..How fair is this??? I called several times but they are not ready to listen anything..(very very bad customer services)..People work over there are very arogant..I advice people to not to stay over there at all..There are plenty of other hotels right next door..

2  Thank genuinetraveler