“Great option!”
Review of Thunderbird Inn

Thunderbird Inn
Ranked #18 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I chose this hotel in the last minute but It was a great choice. The room was nice and the bed was comfortable. The start offering the breakfast at 6:30 am so if you plan to travel early you can still enjoy your free breakfast. I was happy that they have Belgian waffle for breakfast.
The pool is the best part, it is really warm and it is open 24 hours. It is clean and nice. They also have fruits and coffee available all the time.
The TV has a problem with the cable but I called the front office and they told me how to fix it right away.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Sofia M
TeresaDitta, General Manager at Thunderbird Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Thank you so much for your nice review. I am glad you enjoyed the 24 pool hours and everything else. If I can assist you any further in the future please don't hesitate. Thank you Teresa

There are newer reviews for Thunderbird Inn

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We spent the weekend here in August. We had one of the spa tub rooms and it was very spacious . Everything was well kept and clean. The room included a small mini-frig which was great for keeping things cold. The staff was cheerful and polite.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mike A

I am so glad you enjoyed the room and your stay with us. Please never hesitate to let me know what I might do differently or how I can help during your visits. Thank you Teresa

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Over Labor Day Weekend, which I know is a big weekend for people to walk over Mackinaw Bridge in Michigan. Room was clean, but there was mold on the ceiling of the bathroom. There was a warning that there would be fluctuation is the temperature of the water when showering and they weren't kidding. It went from mild to HOT is 1.2 seconds. We had to change rooms because the heavy curtains would not pull shut in our first room. We also asked to move because there were 10 bats roosting just outside our door and I didn't want to worry all weekend about letting a bat fly into our room going in and out the door. We were moved. The pool was clean, but there were doors that were warped that could not be shut completely and there were tons so spiders on the outside windows that were disgusting to walk by. You have to believe that many of those spiders crawled into during the night to get away from the cool nights. The breakfast place, again, was okay, but there wasn't a person who stayed around if you ran out of things for breakfast. Evidently it was first come, first get to eat. Sleep in and you missed it. Also, not sure the place was cleaned everyday. There were papers on the floor and tables didn't look very clean. Would I stay there again, only if i can't find another room at a better place for about the same amount, which was $155.00 a night.

Room Tip: Corner rooms had the bats around them. Avoid those rooms. Don't stay here unless you have no o...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Audrey A

I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us as much as you would have liked. The bats are a constant issue as they are protected and we cant do much besides put up a bat house which we have done and it doesn't seem to help much. I do apologize. I assure you though the breakfast staff steps away from time to time but there is always someone who goes back and checks and refills. I am glad you found everything clean, but I really would have loved to have really WoWed you. I take these comments very seriously, and I will look into every you have stated and what we might do differently in the following season. Thank you Teresa

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Myself and my family stayed this past Labor Day weekend in room 124. First off, let me say that the property owner Teresa was very pleasant when I booked my room, considering all the rest of the Big chain hotels wanted atleast double what her rate was, and they wanted a minimum 3 night stay. She quickly took my reservation as all I needed was 1 night for my mothers birthday. When we arrived at the property, I was quite impressed as the area was well maintained and clean, the hotel desk was a tad small, but very quaint.

We checked into our room and were presently surprised to see a very well furnished room for a small hotel, 2 large beds, a small but very kept up bathroom, etc. We then ventured out through Mackinac City. Later the evening we returned, and went for a swim in their pool. Now, if you have kids and stay at this property, the pool goes from 3' to about 7' to 9' in a matter of feet and it is clearly marked. Also, during the evening when the lights were on, it felt a little too dark in the pool area (enclosed), and I would suggest they look into a better lighting system arrangement to help.

The next morning we went for breakfast (around 8 am). Now, Labor Day is the yearly Mackinac Bridge walk. By the time we got to the breakfast area, the food was for lack of a better term, "picked over", with a few plain doughnuts, bagles, and slices of toast and of course the waffles left. While I understand it was a busy weekend, I do feel that it could have been better staffed. Also, while the rooms were nice, and gave a big chain look to this property, I would suggest the property look into a similar style of a "hot breakfast" such as the big chain hotels in town do. I think it could increase their traffic volumes immensely, and from what I saw it looks like there is room for it to be accomplished.

Otherwise, nothing but praise for this property. The owner should be proud, as if I ever come back to Mackinac in the future, this property will be one of the first I call.

Room Tip: My suggestion is to stay anywhere on this property.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank James B
TeresaDitta, General Manager at Thunderbird Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I apologize about breakfast, but we offer a basic free breakfast, we leave the big breakfasts to the professionals at the fantastic restaurants we offer in town. I do take all guest comments very seriously and breakfast needs to be upgraded this is something I am looking into for the future. I hope we will see you again in your travels to Mackinaw. :) Teresa

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We chose to stay here b/c other Trip Advisor ratings and we were very disappointed by the poor conditions of this hotel. First, the "heated" pool wasn't...more like ice cold. Second, the shower in our room couldn't decide if it wanted to give cold or hot water...leading to both my husband and I getting scalded on two separate occasions. Finally, the breakfast was made up of the cheapest foods available from the local discount market...unripe fruit...and they ran out of basics like bread and butter!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Michele H

I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us. However the pool is very much heated it is checked and regulated on a daily basis. I apologize if you thought it was cold. Also we order our food from Gordons food service not the "discount market". We offer a basic free breakfast. I am sorry you didn't enjoy it. I will take your comments into consideration and look into some upgrades. Our goal is always to have our guests enjoy there stay. Thank you for your comments. Teresa

Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed on a Saturday night that was pretty busy. The front desk clerk was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were big and clean. As other people stated the shower had hot water that fluctuated slightly. The breakfast was fine including fruit, waffles, bagles, and cereal. The pool was nice as well. We would stay here again. Close to the ferry and a little walk downtown.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank lovefrancais

Thank you for the nice comments. I am very happy you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again in the future. :) Teresa

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I wanted to like this hotel because the location was good and the price was right. Other than our room being pretty clean there was not much else going for it. We had a corner room with a view of the hallway and like some of the other reviewers, had issues with the scalding hot water. The beds were comfy and the kids liked the pool, although it went from 5 feet to 3 feet to 7 feet deep, which was weird, I would not have liked that if my kids were small. There were more minuses than pluses and we would definitely not stay here again. No microwave. It is definitely time to bring this property up to the 80's.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

I am glad your room was clean, but sorry to hear you wouldn't stay again. We are aware some our furnishings are older, but we try to keep them as clean and in best condition possible. We replace something different every year. last year was the beds we felt that was more important having a good nights sleep. We are working on replacing other items as we can and hope you would consider giving us a another chance if you ever come to the area. Teresa