“Very Nice”

Ranked #16 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Port Hope, Michigan, United States
“Very Nice”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Nice, clean and affordable! The only disappointment was the WiFi very bad reception. This is a place we will visit again next year. Hopefully next time the internet will work better. The pool was great it even has a deep (9 foot end).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Gary A
TeresaDitta, General Manager at Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and will be returning. I am sorry about the WIFI we have had a lot of troubles with that this year, and yes hopefully next year you will have great reception. Teresa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Shippensburg
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed here recently for several nights. Requested very quiet room and did get one. It was clean enough but I am guessing no one stayed here for a while before us and they didn't do a re do. Some dead bugs when we entered and it took a LONG, LONG time for water to get hot. But once it did it was great. This happened often in our stay. To be fair, didn't say anything as I liked location of room and we could deal with it. Do agree breakfast is somewhat limited. But, not with AC comments that are negative. That is VERY important to me and ours worked wonderful. The interactions I had with staff were SUPER. Very friendly. It was irritating that the internet didn't work well and was actually out for a few days when we were there. I realize it is just nice to have as a benefit but there should be some refund or something I think. I book to have internet to have travel assistance and stuff. I understand connectivity is up and down (breakfast room was always good) but when completely out something should be adjusted a few dollars. Didn't use pool but it looked super. All in all pretty clean other than the bugs. Would I stay again...not sure. There are so many choices, may take another shot. However, price was VERY good here for time of year. Also close to ferries/restaurants that were good and EZ access to roads (interstates/traveling highways).

Room Tip: Request one of the rooms in a single level building.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WHISKEYTIM
TeresaDitta, General Manager at Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
I am so sorry about the bugs and hot water. This should have never been missed in the room. And the internet is up and running now I am just so sorry for all the things wrong with you room. I am glad you enjoyed the quietness of your location and the staff and the ac...We try very hard to ensure everyone has a wonderful stay with us. So thank you for the honest reviews it helps us to know what is going on with the rooms as we dont stay in them so we rely on our guest to let us know, Please fell free to call me if you would like to discuss this any further. Teresa 800-633-1515
Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed July 7, 2013

My husband and I were pleasantly surprised by this hotel. At the price, we expected a motel that we could tolerate for one night before staying on the island for several days. Instead, we found a comfortable, clean room with air conditioning and a refrigerator. The room was quiet even though it had an outside entrance door and it was ready when we checked in early. The wi-fi was fast and reliable. There is an indoor pool that's in the middle of the parking lot and is connected to the room where breakfast is served. It looked nice but we didn't try it. Breakfast selections were limited, but good especially considering the price for the night. No lake view or waterfront, but it's a quick drive or walk over to the lake, shops and restaurant. This is a great city option.

2 Thank rameyfamily
TeresaDitta, General Manager at Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for the great review, I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I also am a big fan of our location. It is great being so close, yet feeling so far away. I am gald you enjoyed it as well. I wish you safe travels back home and hope to see you again in your travels to Mackinaw. :)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Pros:
Very friendly and helpful staff
convenience of parking in front of your door
Throwback pricing
fridge in room
Cons:
Wireless just didn't work
Breakfast is just not very good
tough to maintain comfy temp in room using AC unit

Overall, it is tough to ask too much of the hotel given the VERY low price we paid. The front desk staff were very helpful and friendly. If you are looking for a simple night's stay in a convenient location, this place is for you.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank travelingman979
I am glad you enjoyed your overall stay, I do apologize for the wireless we were battling it out with att.. I did get it working the next day, but I am sorry we didnt have it during your stay. Teresa
Kentwood, Michigan
Reviewed July 2, 2013

The staff was very friendly and courteous. The complimentary breakfast was very good. I just loved the fact that they have a printed list of the channels available on TV. It's small things like these that make the stay at this inn very pleasurable.

1 Thank Amruta J
TeresaDitta, General Manager at Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and the channel guide. We try very hard to make the hotel as enjoyable as possible. I hope to see you again in the future in your travels to mackinaw. Teresa
Redford, Michigan, United States
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I have looked over many reviews for hotels in Mack city and this one had the best reviews I've seen. I love how attentive the GM is and she seems to really make herself available which is really awesome! We are coming in today to stay here before we head out to the island for the next night and I'm excited to stay here already lol!

1 Thank Jesse S
TeresaDitta, General Manager at Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
I am glad you choose our hotel, and I truly hope you enjoyed your stay with us. Please feel free to contact me with any comments you might have about your stay. :) Teresa 800-633-1515
Taylor, Michigan
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Loved it on our trip up north and loved it on our way back home. I will try to stay at this type motel where you park directly in front of your door. It's so easy to unpack and pack the car. When I made a mistake, they went out of their way to help me. On our next trip up north, we'll be staying again. Continental breakfast has a good variety of foods, and the indoor swimming pool is fantastic.

Room Tip: Make your reservation early, before the no vacancy sign appears.
1 Thank tiggerthehun
I am so glad you returned and enjoyed your stay once again. I hope you have safe travels home and come see us again soon. If I can be of any further service please don't hesitate. :) Teresa