“disappointing”

Best Western Plus Dockside Waterfront Inn
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Reviewed October 8, 2005

originally booked for the Hamilton but reservations were lost so got sent to the BW. Not impressed, internet service advertised(wireless) but could only get a connection in the lobby, hot breakfast was very blah!!! Would not stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2005
11  Thank MichiganRsG
There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Dockside Waterfront Inn

A TripAdvisor Member
Independence, Ky
Reviewed September 25, 2005

BOOKING: I called the motel directly to make the reservation. I told the clerk that my MAIN interest was a room with a spectacular VIEW of Lake Huron.. Our flight got in late and when we checked in our room was in the smelly BASEMENT (or below street level so you had to look UP for the view) and the view was of a parking lot and the back of a maintenance building.

ROOM CHANGE: The desk clerk said all the other rooms were booked. Said we MIGHT be able to get a different room the next day if WE called down to the front desk in the morning; which we did. A clerk told us to pack our things and the maid would move all our items. This was a hassle but were happy to move. When our items were moved the maids did not re-refrigerate our cold drinks and food (the food went bad). BUT we let that slide.

CARD KEYS: Two days later our credit card keys would not work . We walked over to the office and another rude clerk said that WE must have done something to the card keys for them not to work. Huh? BOTH keys? The rude clerk fixed the credit card keys ONLY after she left us STANDING there while she RUDELY answered the phones.

ROOM DETAILS: Upon entering the room on day 3 to freshen-up we noticed that there was NO soap and NO shampoo. I called the front desk and housekeeping brought shampoo but no soap. Earlier in the day, I had purchased a $9 bar of Indian made soap to give as a gift. I just opened that and used it.

LATE CHECK-OUT REQUEST: When we made the reservation we told the clerk that we would need a late check-out since our flight did not leave until later in the day. (Check out time was 10:00 a.m. ) She said that would NOT be a PROBLEM; but we were to bring it up AFTER we got here.
For FOUR days we kept asking about a late-check out. FINALLY, we spoke to the manager who said a late check-out was $10 per hour. NO ONE had ever told us that or we would not have stayed there.

• Stayed: September 2005
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 24, 2005

We recently spent 3 days here and met other family members from out of state. The staff was very friendly and the location was ideal to all the shops and restaurants. We had a beachfront room which was nice and the sunrises were beautiful. The rooms however, were old and musty. The decor needed to be upgraded. I would not stay here again unless it was refurbished.

• Stayed: September 2005
8  Thank vacationers96
Reviewed September 19, 2005

The Best Western Dockside was clean but needed some updates. We got a fantastic price booking 6 weeks ahead and during the week days before the memorial weekend. We were quoted one price for 2 lakeside rooms, but when we arrived we were given 2 poolside rooms. After some discussion with an employee, we were given what we had booked. The staff wasn't friendly and the post cards that my daughters sent to their friends that were left by the front desk never arrived. ( my daughter thought she saw the staff member throw them in the trash can as she exited the area)
The breakfast was nice but kind of hard to get to the upstairs area for someone who has trouble walking stairways. Overall I would stay again, just making sure I had in writing exactly what price and location of rooms I was booking.
Marilyn

Stayed: May 2005
5  Thank Marilyn Z
Reviewed September 15, 2005

The hotel itself is beautiful, but I had a problem with the property manager. We had to cancel our first reservation and change it to the previous week. I had canceled the reservation and received a cancellation number along with the person's name.

When I received my credit card statement, I was billed for a no show. I called the hotel several times and spoke with the manager. He informed me that was not a valid cancellation number and the person who canceled my room was a long time employee. He would not budge on this and became very rude and told me "there is nothing else he would do". First of all, he did nothing for me! Luckily I work for a travel agency and was able to contact our sales rep who refunded my money to her account. (she even called the manager and he would do anything).

This unfortunate incident has forced me to NEVER stay at another Best Western property.

• Stayed: June 2003
12  Thank Sitarra
Reviewed August 22, 2005

On a recent trip to Mackinaw City my family and I had reservations at the Best Western Dockside. When we arrived we were informed that the beds in the room reserved for us had ruined by the previous occupants. With no other rooms available Best Western arranged for us to stay at the Hamilton Inn Select just down the street. They voluntarily paid the difference in price and a major potential problem was avoided. Kudos to “Anna” at Best Western Dockside for her diligence in not leaving my family high and dry after a long day on the road. My only regret is that we didn’t get a chance to stay at the Best Western Dockside as originally planned.

5  Thank USAFMSGT
A TripAdvisor Member
Shorewood, Illinois
Reviewed August 15, 2005

My husband has severe mold allergies and if the musty and out-dated lobby were a pre-cursor to what we should expect for our rooms, then we would have to find other accommodations. I explained my concern to the girl behind the desk and she explained that the rooms (our room was 121) had all been recently remodeled and were very nice, she also explained I couldn’t get my money back($225)regardless, because of the 72 hour cancellation policy.

We entered a dingy and unsanitary room that was filled with noxious, moldy air. My husband and I tried to make the best of a dreadful situation and thought we could “stick it out”. The room was anything but “recently remodeled”, stained carpet, grimy bed covers, a continuously running toilet (with a broken and unhygienic seat), and the intense, deafening roar from the broken air conditioner.

Needless to say my husband had an allergic reaction and we had to leave within three hours. When we called the next day to get our money back--the manager was absolutely ranting and said he had an asthma attack due to some "other activity" and then flat out refused to give us our money or an apology.

BUYER BEWARE!!!

Best Western Harbour Pointe Lakefront
Comfort Inn Lakeside
Comfort Inn Lakeside
#12 of 39 in Mackinaw City

Been to Best Western Plus Dockside Waterfront Inn? Share your experiences!