“June 2013”

Best Western Plus Dockside Waterfront Inn
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Reviewed June 16, 2013

When we first arrived the May black gnats were still thick so having a balcony wasn't a smart decision. This was our first visit to Mackinaw City and being June it was still a little cool. Don't spend your money on the balcony unless you come later in the season. I would book near the pool and office. The room was large but really good use a face lift. There was a lot of peeling drywall tape in our room all over the ceiling. We were on the third floor and we could hear the people upstairs EVERY morning by a clicking when they were in the shower. Also no with kids should be allowed on the 4th floor. It was SO noisy listening to kids run upstairs in the corridor. The breakfast bar is standard, I couldn't eat the eggs, sausage or gravy but enjoyed the english muffins and hey it was a free meal. I thought the front desk people were very nice and no issues. They even let me swim earlier than posted and I had the pool to myself.

Room Tip: Pick 4th floor for quietness. Stay near the office if you want by breakfast and pool area.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Anna L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Dockside Waterfront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2014

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 231-436-5001.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

I stayed here for one night on my way to the UP. Had a nice view of the Lake Huron but in early May it was too windy and cold to be outside. The room had a king size bed and a sleeper sofa. It was comfortable, clean, and nicely decorated. Overall it was much nicer than I was expecting.
Breakfast the next morning is exactly what is to be expected of a free hotel breakfast. Nothing special but OK.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank temerich

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 231-436-5001.

Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

Immaculate, well furnished room with balcony looking directly on Lake Huron. I would stay here again. HOWEVER, request a top floor room because you can hear every step that the person in the room above you makes! Ditto with door closings, showers running, tubs draining - THE WALLS ARE PAPER THIN!!! Such a nice place to be so poorly constructed. Front desk staff was inept at check-in. Slow, confused at working the check-in computer, non-apologetic about their slow service. Three workers and all were the same. Poor, poor, poor...

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Great Stay, service was excellent, rooms were clean and spacious.
Great Breakfast. (Only suggestion would be to move the waffle station to the end off by itself to cut down on the congestion) Great trip, will be back !!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Spring for the extra $20 a night for a beach front balcony. It's totally worth it. Access to Lake Huron beach with beach chairs already set up. The room was clean with nice furnishings. The pillows are amazing. They sell them for $15 at the front desk.
Layout of the hotel is a little funky. The breakfast room is on the third floor. You can take the elevator up, but you still have to walk up a ramp and down the hall, then turn right and walk down another ramp to get there(all outside). They make it sound 'amazing' with the description of a 25 foot breakfast buffet. They have the usual stuff. Waffles, doughnuts, cereal and fruit, etc.
The gym and game room are another feat. They are on the 4th floor. You have to take the elevator or stairs to the 3rd floor, walk up a ramp and down the hall and then walk up another flight of stairs at the end of the hall. There are only 2 bikes, 3 treadmills (one of which was broken) and a Bowflex. Website indicated free weights which I did not see. Game room has two pinball machines and that's it.
Parking lot was very full of cars by the weekend and I am unsure if there is actually one parking spot for each hotel room.
Indoor pool and hot tub area were nice and seemed to be clean and maintained. Towels available on pool area.
Right on the strip and close to downtown shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2013

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Room was nicely furnished and comfortable, with good desk and recharging terminal for phone and computer. There was a large wall hung TV but the view was the best part. The desk staff were very accommodating. The included breakfast was pretty good in a nice airy bright room on the 3rd floor, though it featured powdered eggs that some of our group objected to.

Room Tip: Lake view is a plus for me. Also if on the 3rd or 4th floor, it's nice to be near the elevator...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 19, 2013

We had room with view of lake. Small deck to sit and watch ferry's and other boats. Room was clean and quit. Nice breakfest area with plenty of room for everyone. Food was excellent. Just what we wanted for one night stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Comfort Inn Lakeside
#12 of 40 in Mackinaw City
7 mi away
Best Western Harbour Pointe Lakefront

Been to Best Western Plus Dockside Waterfront Inn? Share your experiences!