New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Cancellation policy is 72 hours and the days are counted by noon” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Dockside Waterfront Inn

Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Troy, MI
“Cancellation policy is 72 hours and the days are counted by noon”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

I tried to cancel my reservation, but was shocked when the 72 hours cancellation period is counted by noon of every day, not the check-in start time of every day. The lady over the phone at the hotel did not tell me about the noon when I made reservation.

The manager on the duty insisted on the policy and I could not cancel the room because I called 2 hours later than the 'noon' deadline.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank HenryInMichigan
Anna L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Dockside Waterfront Inn, responded to this review, October 15, 2014
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 231-436-5001.

BEST WESTERN PLUS Dockside Waterfront Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

But it had a few issues, starting with the desk staff. It was like pulling teeth to get information out of them, they're not the friendliest people there.
Some of the hallways and elevator lobby are rather dark.
The room was good, clean. And so was the bathroom. Some of the rooms have the old "hose" style hairdryers. I hadn't seen those since some of the older hotel rooms in Europe!
Overall, a great place to stay if you're in the area for a couple of days.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor and ask for a great view of the bridge.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Dian6

uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Right on the beach so ask for a sea view! Large, comfortable well fitted rooms. A decent breakfast although not amazing. Great indoor pool that we always seemed to have to ourselves!
Handy for the ferries to the island and to a myriad of local restaurants. Only disappointment was the fact that the staff were a little humourless!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Anna L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Dockside Waterfront Inn, responded to this review, October 19, 2014
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 231-436-5001.

Bay City, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

Stayed here for business. I didn't care for my room overlooking the parking lot with a walkway outside my door that allows people walking by to shake the floor and look directly into my room. So it was either sit with the curtain drawn in the middle of the afternoon or have people looking in as they walked by. Cleaning staff constantly yelling to each other across the parking lot and from the upper walkways.
That said, it was probably average for Mackinaw when you pay about $100/night in the summer.

Room Tip: The rooms on the waterside are worth the extra money. Ground floor rooms where you can walk directly...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Anna L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Dockside Waterfront Inn, responded to this review, October 25, 2014

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

Stay of 8-12-13-2012, Mackinaw City, MI

Two Nights Stay without reservations. Very nice and clean Top Floor two Queen Bed Room with Couch. Stay here about ten years ago – room looks like recently remodeled. Private Balcony with two chairs and table overlooking the lake. Very peaceful – private beach below – can watch the boats coming and going to Mackinac Island.

Can walk to Shelpers Boat Dock (they take you to Mackinac Island). Hotel has free pick up and drop off service. Downtown Mackinaw is also walkable from this hotel.

Beds were comfortable with more than enough variety of linens and pillows. Ceiling fan over the beds – nice. Air conditioning also works well.

One item that needs improvement – the outer door is hard to shut – you need to slam to close and lock.

I must complement – Judith of the housekeeping staff – she did any excellent job of cleaning room each day. Always very friendly.

Breakfast is served each day in a separate large room overlooking the city and lake. Wonderful selection of both hot and cold foods – Fresh fruit selection, waffle maker, scrambled eggs, sausage, breads, etc. Attendants keep tables clean and food area full.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Checked in but could not understand desk person at all. Got a terrible room with a view of the parking lot and the table for smokers! Yuk! We were very disappointed in this hotel. The breakfast room was crowed and the food was just ok. The people cleaning the tables made me cringe as they cleaned the tables...
Not planning on returning. Best Western needs to look into either having the place renovated or torn down!

Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Patpett
Lakemoor
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

After reading reviews I was feeling hesitant about staying at this property. I stay in Best Westerns for work, all across the country and I decided to try it. At first impression the hotel lobby was just “OK”. Nothing to say wow. The front desk attendant made up for that. She was courteous and efficient with check in. Our room was on the second floor facing the parking lot. Exactly as I picked. No expectations lost. The room itself was clean and well spaced out with sitting area and desk space. Nice to have when staying for 3 nights. Breakfast was a hot hotel breakfast. I don’t understand why guests expect cook to order eggs and fresh squeezed juice for under $100 per night. The savings of $20+ everyday was well spent elsewhere. The pool was clean and not over crowded. Overall I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hamilton Inn Select - Beachfront
Hamilton Inn Select - Beachfront
#28 of 39 in Mackinaw City
BEST WESTERN Harbour Pointe Lakefront

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Dockside Waterfront Inn? Share your experiences!