“Welcome Home!”

Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
fostoria, Michigan
“Welcome Home!”
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Wrapping up the end of a 2 week vacation we decided to spend the last two nights in one of our favorite vacation spots, Mackinaw City and the island. Being on the road in cities we weren't familiar with we chose a few less than comfortable places but knew what we were getting here. Although we've stayed at alot of hotels in Mackinaw city we chose the Best Western Dockside for it's location. We had done alot of driving the last two weeks and wanted a place close to everything. Our room was a king, jacuzzi courtside. When we opened our door we were in awe! It was beautiful! Very classy looking, clean and the staff was friendly and professional too. And the price...well you can't beat it for what we got. Very pleased, as we knew we would be, and would recommend this hotel. It's great for families with the clean, beautiful beachfront as well. My daughter and I stayed here a few months ago and had a balcony suite. It was so nice and beautiful that we went and got super and brought it back to eat it on our balcony rather than coose a restaurant. Awsome place. you should try it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Anna L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Dockside Waterfront Inn, responded to this review, October 2, 2011
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 231-436-5001.

BEST WESTERN PLUS Dockside Waterfront Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed September 25, 2011

If you are looking for a nice hotel with a good location that includes breakfast (self serve), this might be your place. We reserved a king room with a balcony with a view of Lake Huron. The room was clean and large. The balcony was small but big enough for 2 chairs and a table. The view is beautiful and the beach is very nice. If it wasn't a cool, windy day in September we would have taken advantage of it. It looks like the swimming would be excellent there as well. The only things that could use some attention was the water pressure in the shower and the floor in the bathroom was freezing cold (we put down a towel to act as a rug to keep our feet warm). The breakfast was self serve in a large dining room and happy to say the coffee was surprisingly good. They had enough to choose from such as make-your-own waffles, toast, sausage and scrambled eggs, nothing special but got us through until lunch. I might suggest that you bring your own ketchup, it was the cheapest most watered down ketchup I've ever had.

Overall though, the location is great. It is next to the ferry dock to Mackinaw Island and a short walk to many nice shops, restaurants & pubs. I would reccomend this hotel to family & friends with a couple of precautions.

Room Tip: I think is is worth the extra money to have a room with a balcony facing the beach, unless you are j...
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 231-436-5001.
North Carolina
Reviewed September 22, 2011

This is an older property (though to us it didn't look so in the photos we saw---which decided our staying there). It has many, many rooms and we had to park a long way from the building our room was in. We booked a lake front room for 3 nights and upon checking our room out were very pleased with the spaciousness. Though an older room, it had two queen beds, table & 2 chairs (old), microwave & sm. refrigerator on floor under TINY sink and counter. The bathroom was HORRIBLE! So tiny we could not believe it. Bathroom linens had seen better days and you did not get 3 bath towels, only 2. (We are used to 3 in the nicer hotels we stay in). The sliding glass door did have a 'security bar' that I liked. The balcony was okay; overlooked Lake Huron and one of the ferry services. The good ends here. Around 5pm it sounded like a herd of circus elephants was practicing basketball on the floor of the room up above us! Run, run, jump, jump until I thought I would scream. I called the desk and asked if we could be moved to the 4th flr. and was told they had no more rooms because the hotel was full for the night (9/19/2011). I said, "Well, if we can't get a top floor room tomorrow, we will have to check out! We can't stand this noise!" The manager told me that she could not complain to them until 11:00pm by LAW. We just left our room and drove around and had supper. Returned to our room around 8:00pm and the noise was STILL going on! I called and told them we would be checking out tomorrow, I could not stand this! She could not promise us a room, only if one opened up. Well, we didn't want to wait all day only to be told they were unable to give us a room. She offered a courtyard view (parking lot!) on the 4th flr. and I told her we had paid for the lake view and that was one reason we had booked here! This noise went on til 11pm and we drifted off to sleep only to be awakened again during the night! It was still going strong at 7am and then we said, "Let's get out of here!!!!!" I called the desk and told them we were checking out if they could not get us a lake front room! Minutes later a female at the desk called and said, "I forgot to tell you that a rollaway bed is $10 extra." I said, "WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? We don't need a rollaway bed! There are ONLY TWO OF US!!!!! Just consider us checking out!!!" We called the Holiday Inn Express and found a top floor room there and moved that day! there was NO WAY I could stand 3 nights of the people above us. (Don't know when they checked out.) On our our way down on the elevator there were two guests who said they were on their way to breakfast across the street because the hotel's "free included b'fast" was HORRIBLE. While we were loading the luggage in the car, the people doing likewise 2 cars down from us were talking about the nasty breakfast and wondering where to go eat! So, I would say the b'fast is not very good. We didn't waste our time; ate at one of the restaurants on the main square.
**NOTE: Incidentally, though we were told the hotel was 'full up' that night, we never did see a "NO VACANCY" sign where you drive by the hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank luvsf
Anna L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Dockside Waterfront Inn, responded to this review, October 4, 2014

Wayne, Michigan
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Myself and two other women stayed 2 nights here. We done a lot of pricing and checking and when we send the picture of the hotel our first thoughts were "no we can't afford that one" but checked it out just for the heck of it. The prices were in our price range, we loved the view and everything we wanted to see was within walking distance. I highly recommend for anyone, oh and breakfast comes with it. How much more could you ask for,

Room Tip: Lake side view is beautiful in morning and evening.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Baton Rouge, LA
Reviewed September 20, 2011

We reserved a king bed, nonsmoking, lakefront room with sofabed and full breakfast for the night of 9/16/11. Thank goodness we had only planned to use this hotel as a one night stopover on our way to Mackinac Island. We checked in without any problem. Parking was very difficult and we could not find a parking spot anywhere near our room. Upon entering our room, we found that we had been checked into a room with two beds instead of the king bed. Upon calling the front desk, we were told that they had no king room (obviously they had given ours away due to our late arrival despite the room being held with our credit card) - no apology, no offer to decrease our nightly rate of $193 with tax, only a comment that we had been given an upgrade which was obviously untrue. Other problems-couldnt get the wireless internet connection to work and got no help on this matter from the front desk. Lastly, the vending machines were scattered far from our room and the snack machine did not work - a fact that the front desk person knew we will called to complain. The breakfast was average but the dining room was uncomfortably warm.
We would not stay here again - mostly due to fact that the staff was not accomodating in any way. Way too expensive for such poor customer service. There are many hotels in Mackinaw City so next time we will stay somewhere else.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed September 16, 2011

The rooms had very dated decor, however they were clean and the bed was comfortable.Don't get the 4th floor, it was dark, we sprang for the waterfront balcony and on the 4th floor it was very small, larger on the lower floors. I didn't like it and won't stay there again.
The breakfast is very average.

Room Tip: Don't get forth floor balcony, it's dark and small.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Anna L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Dockside Waterfront Inn, responded to this review, October 19, 2014

Franklin
Reviewed September 4, 2011

We got there and the staff is not accomodating. Our room was in an area that was NOT convienent for loading and unloading your luggage and we are not in our 20's-40's year range. I made the staff aware of our difficulty and they ignored it by providing a map as to to one end of the building or to try to cut thru lobby and computer room. I noticed they provided a simple ramp for the laundry and something similar could have been done in the area that we were located. PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR RESERVATION SINCE PRICES DROP!!! Bats are all over the place. Food is ok and cleanliness is only average since I found crumbs on the dress skirt of bed.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Charmingnl
Anna L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Dockside Waterfront Inn, responded to this review, October 25, 2014

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mackinaw City
Best Western Harbour Pointe Lakefront
Comfort Inn Lakeside
Comfort Inn Lakeside
#12 of 39 in Mackinaw City

Been to Best Western Plus Dockside Waterfront Inn? Share your experiences!