“Average motel for the price”

Americas Best Value Inn Mackinaw City
Ranked #27 of 40 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed the weekend of the 14th also. Our room was fine - no bugs, no bad bedding! It is an older motel. The carpeting is old style as are the bedspreads, but the room was clean and comfortable. A little more care could be taken with vacummng by using the wand to get along the wall etc. It was chilly in the evening and the heat worked fine. The hotel is not fancy, but if you are just looking for a place to sleep and watch a little tv, it wll suffice. Who spends a lot of tiem at the motel when you're in Mackinaw City anyways?!? It is at the south end of town in a quiet location on the edge of the city. They offer a continental breakfast which is average - b&g, make your own waffels. they did run out of coffee and "had to defrost more"? The O.J. was watered down. But, there were still a lot of people there every morning enjoying it. I got a "buy 2 nites, stay a 3rd free" deal so that is why I stayed there. If I were to pay full price, I would probably pay a little more and stay at one of the motels on Lake Huron.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank chewbdu
Steven C, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Mackinaw City, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Thank you for your response. I am only sorry that we didn't exceed your expectations. We pride ourselves on clean, affordable accommodations and better care is needed to insure guest satisfaction. I hope that you will consider staying with us again, so we can have a second chance at providing you with our great customer service and cleanliness.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

As of Friday, 14th at 12 o'clock in the morning the America's Best Value Inn had bed bugs in at least two of it's rooms on the second floor. And when we told them that there was bed bugs that looked at us like we where dum and did get there act together until we said " we let everyone in the complex know there is a bed bug infesation." They were not customer friendly and did not make any form of imberstment for the inconvence. So, I strongly advise anyone considering this hotel/inn to look else where. They are extremely under hotel health code violations if they have bed bugs and didn't really care to do anything until someone wants to make a big scene. Most of the things were broken hot tube, reck room was closed and we where suppost to have bottom floor because we have people with bad knees and they gave it to another group after telling use we would have the bottom floor. So, service aka not good at all, honestly how ever runs the hotel should go back to school for hotel managemnet because there is NO customer services.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank 810Laura

I would like to sincerely apologize for your stay here. We take every guest complaint seriously, and this was no exception. Upon your call we were able to give you several options; one of which was finding you new accommodations with a full refund. You opted to stay. For your troubles, we did issue a refund on your rooms which was made aware upon check out. We have since called in professionals to inspect for pests in all rooms as to ensure we have no problem. Again, I do apologize for your stay as we failed to meet your standards.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Its pretty poorly managed place. Good location very close to the cruises to island, but it pretty badly managed. Torn bedsheets, lights not working, shower is either tooo hot or tooo cold, dirty towels.. the list goes on. The front-desk was helpful though.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

I would like to apologize for the problems with your room. We try very hard to ensure guest satisfaction. We rotate out any stained or torn linen regularly, but unfortunately we missed some. Light bulbs do burn out and we would have replaced them had we known. Again, I am sorry we didn't wow you. Hopefully you will consider staying with us again; giving us a chance to show your our superior service.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights over the Labor Day weekend. I have never stayed in a dirtier room! The toliet had not been cleaned in what seemed like weeks. Towels were so stained and filthy I didn't even want to use one. The pool had the biggest hairball (and bandaids) floating in it. Carpet was filthy and was not even vacuumed when we got in there. I had to go to the front desk and ask for it to be vacuumed. Comforters had stains all over them. They know how many quests were scheduled to stay there for the holiday weekend, yet had one toaster and one waffle maker for the all the guests. Ran out of food for breakfast. Months of dust on the bathroom fan and hanging lamp! I don't mind staying at a place that's a little older, but there's no excuse for a room to be filthy! Spend a few dollars more and stay somewhere that you don't feel dirty even after taking a shower.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank grtraveler1970
Steven C, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Mackinaw City, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

I would like to apologize for your recent stay at our property. What you describe should not have occurred. Our main focus is always the cleanliness of our rooms and our property. I will be talking with all my housekeeping staff to look into how we can improve our level of service. Let me assure you that action will be taken to correct these problems.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

We reserved a jacuzzi king suite. Upon check-in, went to our room and it was a queen size regular room. Upon calling the front desk they said come back to the office. When i walked in she handed me a new key and said to me "hmmm, not sure what happened, you have a king reservation." No apoligizes, nothing. We drive to the other end of the building and see the other clerk walking out of the room that we are now suppose to go to. Walk up to the room, and find out he was leaving because another guest had complained the room was to dirty so he was in quickly dusting since it had never been done since the building opened 40 years ago.

I don't believe in spending huge amounts of money for a hotel room. I believe that basically you are only going to spend a short amount of time there and i refuse to spend as much then as I do for a months mortgage.... but i do expect a CLEAN room. Yes, the building needs a lot of work, it looks like a cheap motel, but I would have no problem with that if it was clean. I peeled the comforter off, looks like it has never been washed since they put it on there in the 70's. But the inch of dust around the furniture because thats as close as the vaccuum gets.... Spend your money elsewhere, we won't stay there again!

Also, they might have had belguim waffle maker and bagels...but they had 1 of each. So i didn't feel like waiting in line behind the other 8 people there. So I spent money on breakfast, maybe if i had put it towards the room I could have had a cleaner room?

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Steven C, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Mackinaw City, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

I want to first apologize for your stay here and the mix-up with your reservation. Let me assure you that our main focus is the cleanliness of our rooms and I am upset to hear that we did not meet your standards. We will be working diligently to improve our level of cleanliness and customer service so as to make all satisfied.

We have also bought new waffle irons to hopefully lessen congestion during breakfast.

Again I do apologize for the issues you had.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

My fiance and I had a brilliantly easy and comfortable stay! We got the romance package for only $15 more and received a $25 gift certificate to the Bluewater Grill (which wasn't very good, so we were thankful for the extra $25) and a bottle of wine. We stayed in the king room with the jacuzzi which was so private, incredibly spacious, and very clean. The only annoyance with the room was the older television; we had to go to Walmart to get a converter box to connect our PS3. The staff was ridiculously friendly and helpful (especially Steven!) and even offered to help us with our bags during a storm at midnight. The breakfast could have been better had there been more than one waffle maker (with guest screw ups, you just gave up waiting), but what could you really ask for since it was free? Overall, a fantastic stay, super great value for the money, and exceeded my expectations. We will definitely return!

Room Tip: The king spas are more private and aesthetically pleasing.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Steven C, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Mackinaw City, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

I am so pleased that you both enjoyed your stay. We will look into purchasing some converter boxes for guest use and have recently purchased two new waffle irons to hopefully alleviate any congestion during breakfast.

We look forward to having you stay again with us.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

Stayed there the night before starting a week long bicycle tour in Michigan. The price was very reasonable for tourist season compared to others. The room was spacious enough to hold all our gear. It rained during the night so we were glad not to be camping! No complaints from me and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank COMO1ColumbiaMO
Steven C, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Mackinaw City, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2012

I am pleased to hear that your stay with us was enjoyable. Its nice to hear that we met your needs. On behalf of the entire staff, we look forward to having you stay with us again.