“I would never stay here again.”

Americas Best Value Inn Mackinaw City
Ranked #27 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Macomb, Michigan
“I would never stay here again.”
Reviewed July 10, 2011

On arrival, the room had a spider web with bugs in it in the corner behind the door, there was a spider on the shower curtain in the bathroom and the coffee pot was dirty. The pool and spa were green, I would not let the kids swim. The second day we left for the day and when we returned, the beds were not made, the floor was not vaccumed and the cleaning staff left three sets of towels even though there were four people registered to the room. The towels were dingy looking and rough. The bed sheets were very worn out. We did complain to the front desk and they were only able to refund us $15 because they could not get ahold of the manager. The girl at the front desk said she had been refunding money all day due to rooms that were not cleaned. The motel does offer free breakfast which was ok the first day, the place was clean and there was a girl there making waffles who was nice and friendly. The second morning, the girl that was making waffles looked like she did not want to be there at all and the waffles were not cooked all the way. We were very glad we only had to stay for two nights and very glad to leave. If we had not arrived so late on the first day, we probably would have looked for another option, however, we were there the week of the holiday and everything else was already booked.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank JJRP4
abvi_mackcity, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Mackinaw City, responded to this review, July 19, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and we are very sorry that you were not happy with your stay. It's unfortunate that you had to experience these things while you were trying to enjoy your vacation. We take these comments and concerns very seriously and it lets us know what we need to do to improve our property. Just to let you know I am the new manager and have taken over since you stayed with us. There have been a lot of changes made and many of the issues have been addressed so I hope that you will give us another chance to make your vacation great.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
West Bloomfield MI
Reviewed July 4, 2011

We were over charged and then the room was dirty and had all kinds of spiders and bugs crawling in the bathroom. Slept with socks on top of bed. Afraid to sleep under dirty blanket, they probably don't change the sheets! YUCK!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Bluebaby01
abvi_mackcity, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Mackinaw City, responded to this review, August 3, 2011
I apologize that your stay with us was less than perfect, and I want you to know that we do take your comments and concerns very seriously. I am the new manager and have taken over since you stayed with us. I am doing all I can to improve the property and appreciate all of the input I can get from our guests. It's unfortunate that you didn't have a great experience with us but I do hope that you would give us a chance to make your next vacation in Mackinaw City a great one.
South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed June 30, 2011

We stayed at this hotel from 6/27 to 6/30. The room was clean when we arrived. The bed was /horrible/. It was a Queen, and when my fiance and I were both on it we both rolled towards the middle. We would leave during the day, come back, and discover that the Maids had cleaned. They would throw away whatever soap they had left from the day before, and leave us with no shampoo. The last night they didn't bother leaving anything. They did nab a few of my fiance's beers, however, and our rum was gone a lot faster then what we were drinking it!

Didn't get up in time for the breakfast, but the pool was large. The hottub was hot enough, but the jets don't work. None of the employees would come out to replace towels for the pool area.

The internet access was horrible. 75% of the time we couldn't use it. In general this place is kind of run-down, and the staff seems lazy, and they'll drink your beer!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BlahBlah61
I want to apologize for your stay with us being less than perfect. I have since taken over as the general manager and there has been a complete turn over of the staff because of it. I am doing everything that I can to improve the property and I take the guests comments and experiences very seriously (both good and bad). I hope that with the improvements that I am making you will give us another chance to make your experience in Mackinaw City a memorable one.
Wyoming, MI
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Pros: Curb appeal of the Inn was good. The pool was big, and even though the hot tub jets did not work it was very hot. The room was very big. Breakfast offered a lot of food.

Cons: When we arrived, they did not have our reservation. We booked through booking.com and I had called to confirm right after booking. We drove 4 hours and were told no reservation. It was kind of up in the air until they finally found a print out they had, even though they still did not have our reservation their system. Management was very unprofessional. We waited to be checked-in while she called in her prescription to Wal-mart on her cell phone. The room was outdated, towels were thin, cable was fuzzy, walls were thin... but it's what is to be expected at $40/night. Breakfast had plenty of food, but it was VERY low quality. Stale donuts and biscuits... and they made the waffles with water they got from a laundry sink. :( Also, they offer high speed internet, but it only works on the lobby.

Summary: This place is fine if you know what to expect. If you are willing to risk not having your reservation on file, a little dirt and noise, and just need a place to lay your head..... then this may be the place for you. I will not stay here again.... a little extra $$ is worth a nicer experience. :)

Room Tip: Ask for the second floor.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mikejameevm
First I would like to apologize for all the trouble that you had while you were supposed to be enjoying your vacation. There is no excuse for the things that you experienced especially during checking in. There are times that the paperwork gets misplaced but there is no reason that your reservation shouldn't have been entered into the system. I can assure you that the behavior of the staff is unacceptable and with the turn over of the staff since you stayed with us that will not happen again. I personally, take your comments very seriously and do all that I can to make the changes necessary to be sure that someone else won't have to have the same things happen. I hope that with the changes I have made you would give us another chance to make your vacation a memorable one.
Hastings, Michigan
Reviewed August 31, 2010

We stayed here for one night, and it was a neat, clean hotel. No frills, but a decent place to stay. The staff was friendly and helpful. Cant beat it for the price. A good overall value.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Hbar223
Spring Hill, Florida
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Over priced, noisy with overhead walkways. Room was in need of remodeling.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Comstock Park
Reviewed August 2, 2010

This is the cheapest Hotel in Mackinaw City i guess we got what we payed for. The room was decent actually very clean no complaints on that. Then when we went to turn the air on it was BROKEN! Some of the workers at the front desk are not helpful at all. So we ended up sleeping the whole night with no air and it being 70 degrees outside, VERY UNCOMFORTABLE!!! Then to top it off there was a wedding party outside until 3AM partying, drinkin and being very loud. Front desk didnt do a darn thing! WE WILL NOT BE GOING BACK AND I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE!!!!!! SERIOUSLY PAY THE EXTRA MONEY TO STAY SOMEWHERE ALOT NICER.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple