“Average”
Review of The Beach House

The Beach House
Reviewed July 25, 2011

My husband & I spent 2 nights here with your dog. The room was hot! The AC unit was too small to cool the room, and the fridge was took a long time to get cool. There is nothing fancy about this place. If you're looking for modern, this would not be the place to stay. The owners were a little creepy, but I didn't see them looking thru our windows. All in all, it was kind of a cute little place. But I don't think we would stay here again. The room was just way too warm. Oh, and the hot tub was really dirty to where we didn't wnt to get in it!! The pool was cold, could have been warmer & even it had a greenish tint.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 10, 2011

My husband, myself and our two kids stayed here in July for a long weekend. We paid close to 500.00 for 3 nights and it was not anything we thought it would be! The inside of the cottages are very outdated and the bathrooms are a joke! When you sat on the toilet your knees crushed against the sink and im only 5'4"!! I had to almost do gymnastics to get my hair wet in the shower because the head is sooo low and the water pressure was barely enough to rinse my hair! The bathroom sink was disgusting!! I attempted to brush my teeth and the sink was clogged so I pulled the plug out and it was sooo slimy and nasty!! There were hairs that were not ours floating around the sink water it was soo gross! The beds were alright and it was clean for the most part. The cabin we had was what they called a stones throw from the beach however they dont tell you that your view is going to be blocked by lakefront cabins and those peoples vehicles! If you have a large truck or two vehicles to bring the parking is VERY cramped and you will never fit! When we sat on our porch we were a stones throw away from other renters! Also, I too saw the male owner looking in windows towards evening so they are all telling the truth in the other reviews! I told my husband that he creeped me out! Another thing that was really kinda creepy was that when we left for the day we came back and realized someone had came in our cottage when we were gone and made ONE of our beds and took out the trash.... but we never told them or asked them to do it nor would we have wanted them to do it if we were asked! Usually at a hotel you have the option of housekeeping, you dont here! It was even more wierd however that they only made one bed as if they were using housekeeping as a reason to look in our cottage! Also, if you get a lakefront cottage be prepared to have the people behind you constantly walking through your little yard area to get to the beach, I watched a ton of people do it and I always tried to go through the areas where I knew people werent there or the unrented cottage yards so i didnt disturb other people. All in all we will never stay here again, its definitely not worth the money, last time we were in Mackinaw we rented a cabin from Mill Creek campground and that was wonderful for half the price!!!!

Room Tip: IF you want any privacy here opt for the cabin in the very front to the right of the office! you wil...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank reeree_11
bhmc, Owner at The Beach House, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2011

I am sorry you were not happy with The Beach House....we have daily maid service...if a bed is not it is out of respect for your personnel belongings setting on the bed. My husband walks around each evening and turns the lights on...there is a light switch behind each cottage... We only allow one vechicle per cottage because we do not have parking for more.

Reviewed July 8, 2011

If you are looking for a traditional up-north, Michigan cottage situated in an awesome location, this is it! While the cabins can be a bit small and basic, you really can't beat the grounds they are situated on. The owners, Maxine and Russ, take impeccable care to keep the grounds picture perfect, and for me that goes a long way. If you call to ask about the cottages, Maxine is likely to say, "I can't sell you new, but I can sell you neat and tidy" and boy does she. We rented a beachfront cottage which had a fantastic view of the Mackinac Bridge and Mackinac Island. You literally are just steps away from the water, and the beachfront is absolutely beautiful. There's plenty of adirondack chairs, swings, and picnic tables to use, too. Wood is provided for campfires, as are charcoal grills for grilling which is a nice touch. Did I mention that there's an indoor swimming pool and hot tub? Did I mention Russ and Maxine make you fresh muffins and coffee every morning? Seriously, if you are heading to the Mackinaw area, this place can't be beat!

Room Tip: Ask for a beachfront cottage!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank dprudzinski
Reviewed June 26, 2011

We were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and wanted to search out something a little unique. The Beach House is all that and a bargain, too. Spacious cabin, very clean and a nice beachfront location. It's only about a two minute drive to the middle of town. You can walk. It's safe, but a little far. We opted to drive in and park at the center of town and then walk everywhere. Russ and Maxine were excellent hosts. We will be back.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank bkoneill62
Reviewed June 23, 2011

Arrived at the hotel around 9:30pm and greeted by Maxine. Very pleasant woman! She was very patient when Visa did not accept our gift card as payment. After successfully paying, she took us to our cabin and gave a short rundown of the amenities. (Free muffins and coffee in the morning, firepit, pool, beach, etc.)

The room (well, cottage) was very nice! Room decor and construction was a bit dated, but suited the cottage nature of the property well. Our cottage had two queen beds and a roll away mattress to sleep a total of 5 people. There was a kitchenette with sink, refrigerator and two burner appliance. The beds were a little on the firm side, but I didn't mind much- also there are lamps above the beds. This was perfect for reading! The shower was nice but tall people beware, the nozzle came to my shoulders! (6'1")

The muffins (Banana Raisin) and coffee were VERY delicious.

The location is very nice, only a 2-3 minute drive into the main stretch of Mackinaw City. I will DEFINITELY stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nick M
Reviewed August 25, 2010

This place has the three C's I look for in a place to stay. Clean, Comfortable, and Courteous staff. Had a great time, right on the beach a plus. Close to everything, yet not in the middle of hussle and bussle of the city. Nothing fancy, just a comfortable safe atmosphere.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank haley9551
Reviewed August 21, 2010

After pouring over reviews of places to stay in Mackinaw for our honeymoon I decided on The Beach House. We are down to earth people that just wanted a relaxing place to stay and we found the perfect spot. From the moment Maxine walked us to our beach front cottage we were in love. The beach is incredible, serene with awesome views of the bridge and Mackinac Island.
The cottage was very clean even though the decor is bit dated.
We are hoping to return again!

1  Thank Timhush