“Money Saving Alternative to staying on the island” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Flamingo Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mackinaw City
Flamingo Motel
You added Flamingo Motel to your Saves list
Ranked #25 of 41 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Florida
“Money Saving Alternative to staying on the island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

My husband and I just returned from visiting family in Michigan. While we were there we went on a whirlwind tour of western Michigan, starting in Mackinaw City, St. Ignace and Mackinac Island. We originally wanted to stay on the island, but found it to be too expensive. After we saw the reviews for this hotel on Trip Adviser, we decided to stay here.

I called a few days before we left on our trip to inquire about the property. The lady on the phone was very nice and answered all of my questions. She told me about the heated pool, the bonfire with s'mores at night, coffee and donuts in the morning, the choice of rooms and beds, told me the rooms upstairs had a/c while the downstairs didn't, and said we had the choice of smoking or non-smoking, all for $59 a night. I told her I would discuss it with my husband and call back later to make reservations. The day before we drove to Mackinaw City, I called back to make a reservation. Luckily the 4th of July crowd just left so there was plenty of availability. I asked if we could check in early so that we wouldn't have to leave our things in the car when we visited the island, and she said that it wouldn't be a problem.

Sure enough, when we arrived around 1 pm our room was ready. Unfortunately, they gave us a smoking room, and we asked for a non-smoking room when making our reservation. Luckily, the room didn't smell too bad, so we kept it. The hotel is older, but it's very clean. Our room had a queen size bed, a little table with chairs, microwave, refrigerator, small closet, and a small bathroom with a toilet, sink and very small shower. There were a couple of cigarette burns in the carpet, but they were small and almost unnoticeable. It also had a ceiling fan, which we did not use, and a heater, which we did use since it dropped to 50 at night (and back home it's a toasty 110.) Overall it's a clean, quite, comfortable room for a very affordable price.

The hotel was very easy to find. It's just a few miles south of the downtown Mackinaw City, but it feels like you are in the middle of nowhere. It must be because of the 40 wooded acres the hotel sits on. They do have some trails in the woods, but we didn't have time to explore them. We also did not get to enjoy the pool or bonfire as it was pouring rain when we returned from the island. Do not hesitate to ask the hotel staff for recommendations and suggestions. They are very knowledgeable about the area and are more than happy to share.

We are already making plans to visit again next summer, and will certainly consider the Flamingo Hotel for our stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank AZDesertFlower

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Ann Arbor MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

We were going to stay at the KOA but decided to stop in at this cute motel to see what the rate was. The owner's are Fay and Jay. Fay greeted us at the front desk and offered my husband a coupon she had for the discounted price, so with tax our total was just $43.15! The KOA charges $27 so we figured it was a good deal. The rooms are Super Clean (really), I could not see dust in the corners of the bathroom or window seals! The room does have a musty smell initially but you don't notice after being in it for a minute or two. They also have free wifi which is how I am writing this review right now. We used the pool, it was refreshing. At night they had a bon-fire and even brought out marshmellows and roasting sticks for us! They are continuing to update the motel, Fay told me they just started in June/July, eventually new carpet etc... right now the carpet is Super Clean but old. Great place I highly recommend it if you like friendly owners who will tell you all about the free things to do in Mackinac City/Island, for example Darrow's Family Restaurant, which we will try tomorrow. Stay here, it's Great!

• Liked — Conversation with Fay and Jay and other travelers at the bon-fire.
  • Disliked — initial Musty Smell of room which will probably be taken care of when the carpet is replaced, she said soon!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Ilikestargazers
Battle Creek, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2008

This staff here is very friendly and helpful when it came to various suggestions as to places to visit. Mike made my family feel at home, and look forward to visiting again real soon. The room was clean, and comfortable.

Stayed March 2005
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2006

This Flamingo Motel is 2 miles from downtown of Mackinaw City, MI. Our group found this motel acidently and we were very happy. The price was cheap in a high season - $49.95 + tax. This motel is under new management. And new manager was friendly, helpful, and did every request that we asked about (two rooms close together, extra refrigirator, hair dryier and etc.) We highly recommend this motel for families, students travelers and everybody else who wants a great service at the reasonable price.

• Liked — great manager
  • Disliked — no hair dryier in my room
  • Tips/Secrets — great outdoor pool
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank HumanBe