“Nice place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lamplighter Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mackinaw City
Lamplighter Motel
You added Lamplighter Motel to your Saves list
Ranked #5 of 41 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Marion, Indiana
“Nice place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We found the Lamplighter to be cozy and very clean. The owner,Terry was very friendly and helpful in every way possible. We really enjoyed our visit. The landscape was filled with beautiful flowers that we loved seeing when we walked out the door each morning.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank 713Wanda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Cincinnati, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband and I took our first trip to Michigan last summer, traveling to a different destination around the coast every couple days. We had the pleasure of staying at the Lamplighter Motel. The owner was super friendly, and the evenings around the firepit with other guests at the hotel was a pleasant way to end the evening. The room we had included a little kitchen so we were able to save a little money and cook in. Our room was very clean, and the grounds were nicely landscaped and well maintained. The area itself is quaint and enjoyable. Walked pretty much anywhere we wanted to go, to the ferry over to the Mackinaw Island, restaurants, etc. Absolutely recommend for a pleasant and quaint place to stay and relax. If you want glamour and glitz, you won't get that here.

Room Tip: Motel offers discount tickets for the Ferry, and you can walk to the dock.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank loganohio
ROCKFORD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

A group of 10 of us stayed at this motel from October 5 to 7. The owner, Terry, will bend over backwards to make your stay pleasant. We were in walking distance of two blocks to the downtown Mackinaw City shopping and restaurant area and close to the ferries to Mac Island. The rooms are themed, though small. My husband and I were in an efficiency room that had a double bed, a living room area with a pull out couch, a small kitchen with utensils, plates, and pans for cooking on a stove. There was also a coffee maker and microwave in this unit. The bonus part was that the rates were less than the rooms with two double beds or a queen bed. I recommend this motel to anyone who wants to experience Mac City or the Island.

Room Tip: There are only 11 rooms, so if you are thinking about going in high season, I would book early. The...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
3 Thank PaulaJD
Rossville, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed here just one night before going to the island for 3 days and it worked very well for us. The key to staying at this type of hotel is in your expectations. If you want a clean quiet room with a decent bed and a functional bathroom and don't want to spend a lot, this may be your answer. We have this on our list of places to return to, however we may need to have a bed discussion with the friendly folks in the office next time. Our bed was just okay, but not great; I wonder if they have some better ones in other rooms? We were in room #1.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sewbirds
Ann Arbor, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

As per a previous reviewer, there were things to like about the Lamplighter, but based on the reviews in TripAdvisor I was expecting more.

I stayed in the Garden room. The Garden Room consists of two rooms, one of which is a designated bedroom, the other is a bedroom/ living room. A Jack and Jill bathroom is between both rooms. The air conditioning unit is in the bedroom/ living room; that room gets VERY cold when the second bedroom is comfortable. The rooms were small and claustrophobic and the bathroom was even smaller. The room is sorely in need of an update and refurbishment. I've stayed in Theme room hotels, but the condition of this room looks like it was last decorated in the early 1980s (see pictures). It also has some maintenance issues: broken door frames, worn and beaten thresholds, tattered blinds and doors (see pictures). Overall the room was clean, if you don't look in the corners (dark with dust) or under the beds (Cobwebs. I'm NOT in the habit of looking, but my makeup rolled under the bed! ). I liked that the room had a small refrigerator and microwave.

Terry and Jennifer were very friendly and helpful. I saw Terry sitting and chatting with guests several times, and he called everyone by their first name, which I thought was a nice touch.

I liked the central location. I parked my car and didn't move it until I left. They also have bicycles to use at no additional cost, which I used several times. Wi fi was hot and cold.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank MyHobbyIsTravel
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

This is certainly no fancy place, let's get that out of the way. It is a good place to save money on your stay (just plan on going out for breakfast, or stay in Granny's Cottage and bring your own food). My husband and I stayed in Granny's Cottage for a couple nights during our anniversary week. The room was clean, Terry was very friendly, and we felt pretty comfortable the whole time. If we come back, I will probably get a different room as realistically, we were not going to use the kitchen unit (which would be nice to have for a longer stay). Also, we visited in May and there were a number of bugs at night, so make sure to run into your room to keep the mosquitoes out!

Mackinaw City is a teeny place, and you can walk just about anywhere you need to go from the Lamplighter, so great location. Stay here!

Room Tip: Pick a themed room and see the website for pictures.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank Siewby
New Orleans, LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

My 10-year-old son and I stayed in "Granny's Cottage" for two nights at the midway point of our three week roadtrip in July, and couldn't have been happier with our accomodations. Terry and Jennifer, the owners, were the perfect hosts and made our stay so enjoyable!

Our unit had a full kitchen, so we were able to prepare breakfast in the morning. There was a queen bed and a separate area with a sleeper. The bathroom, like the entire unit, was immaculate, with oversized, fluffy towels. Free wi-fi worked great! The main street, with lots of shops and restaurants, was within walking distance, as was Shepler's Ferry.

I can't say enough about the hospitality extended by the owners...my son helped Terry build his evening bonfire, and then enjoyed chatting with all of the other guests. And he really got a kick out of the restored 1939 Buick...Terry even took us out in the car and we got a personalized tour of the area! We hope to return to the area again, and wouldn't think of staying anywhere else.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family