“Our room INCLUDING OUR BED had bugs, and the unfriendly, uncaring staff did nothing to help the situation.”

Crown Choice Inn & Suites Lakeview & Waterpark
Ranked #32 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed July 9, 2010

The name "Comfort Suites" is misleading.

1st night we found multiple bugs IN THE BED and entering the room through one of the large windows which hadn't been closed properly by either a previous guest or the maintenance/housekeeping staff. I attempted to close the window but it seemed jammed or broken.

Being rather unhappy, I went to the front desk around 12am and the woman behind the counter said there was nothing she could do until the morning. She wasn't able to get us a different room, or send anyone over right away to address the problem. Thankfully, we had a can of OFF with us, which i unloaded on the little critters. They were all dead in the morning.

That morning, a different woman behind the desk sent a maintenance worker to come "fix the problem" by vacuuming up the dead insects and supposedly spraying down the area with insecticide. His response was "Yeah, it's Michigan in the summer. There's going to be bugs."

Nice dude. Real nice.

2nd night was a repeat of the 1st. More bugs entered the room through the same window which hadn't been fixed. I sprayed them again, and they curled up and died like before. God only knows what crawled on us overnight.

The next morning we went to check out, and explained our story to the same woman behind the desk, hoping for a refund, discount, free night some other time, or anything that could rectify the situation. She said there was nothing she could do, and then blamed the problem on US, saying WE were the ones that opened the window letting in the bugs, which was completely false. She finally gave us an 800 number to call to explain our problem to some automated system. Real helpful indeed.

Her vibe (and the rest of the hotel's staff it seemed) was cold. Very cold. She seemed to not care in the least about our concerns, and did nothing to help our situation.

--- on to the rest of the hotel review --

Hotel facility was nice and clean otherwise. Rooms were large, and beds were actually quite comfortable. Location was right across from one of the ferries to the island. Hotel stay included access to the adjoining indoor water park (a pool, very large hot tub, and some kiddie water slides) and free breakfast at the "25 Foot Hot Breakfast Bar". Breakfast was good, hotel staff working the breakfast was unfriendly again. Wouldn't even smile or return a friendly greeting.

Overall I wouldn't ever stay here again or recommend this hotel to anyone again. The unfriendly, uncaring staff was not helpful at all, and while the rooms and beds were spacious, it was not worth it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
alexandria, Virginia, USA
Reviewed July 6, 2010

Broken windows, hundreds of bugs and poor management....

It started the moment we walked into the room. We opened the window and it clicked as if it locked, however, it fell and hit my son (21-month old) on the head. Maintenance came and discovered that THREE windows needed new parts and that they are going to screw it shut so it cannot be opened. The internet was in and out and just got to be frustrating with the poor connection. The "deluxe fitness room" has one treadmill, one stationary bike and a Bow Flex. But the most disturbing problem was the bug infestation on the second night. We pulled the sheets down after waking up to bites and discovered about 10 to 20 bugs (winged ants) on my 7-week old son. I was appalled. We traced where they were coming from and opened the curtains to discover hundreds of them from the window that fell on my other sons head.

Needless to say, we were upset, but what made it worse is how management handled the situation. I asked to speak with him when we checked out and was told to call back after 6pm. I did and left about 4 total messages and not once could the reception tell me when he would call me back.

Finally, I called customer relations at Choice Hotel and complained and that is when I finally heard from him BY EMAIL, not a phone call. To add insult to injury, he apologized for the "inconveniences" and offered a $20 refund. Having to go get another key card because ours didn't work or the soda machine is out of order are inconveniences, but 3 defective windows and hundreds of bugs swarming the room is a safety hazard... Finally customer relations reimbursed me for one night (better than $20 for my "inconveniences" as the manager puts it). I would have been happy with this offer from the very beginning with the hotel manager, but because how he handled this situation, I feel he should accept responsibility and reimburse both nights for a truly awful stay on a family vacation. Really poor management skills from this hotel.

But I have to say, my son loved the water park....

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank tankerchic
Norcross, Georgia
Reviewed June 24, 2010

This hotel was awful! The rooms are much smaller than you anticipate. The entire hotel is dirty. We placed some wet towels from the pool outside our door one afternoon and when we checked out the next morning they were still there.
Speaking of the pool, there is no supervision from hotel staff at the pool waterpark. I got in the waterpark with my kids, but it was hard for even me to see when it was safe for us to go down the slides, so imagine how hard it would be for kids. I saw 3 children get hurt by other kids coming down the slide too soon. The water was also very murky. Keep in mind also that 3 other hotels share this water park, so it is likely to be crowded at prime swimming times.
The beds in the room were not up to par, either. Both the kind and queen beds sloped on one side so sleep was next to impossible.
The worst thing we encountered was a bloody band-aid in the bedding of the pull out sleeper sofa. We told someone at the hotel about it and he laughed. We were never offered replacement bedding so that bed was un-usable. The next morning when I mentioned it to management, I was told to "Have a nice day". I would under no circumstance recommend this hotel to anyone, period!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank gtlb
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed June 23, 2010

We were supposed to have a balcony reserved. The lady at the front desk said we did not and none were available. She gave us a room over the water park. And she is rude and arrogant as someone else stated. The elevator is at the back of the hotel. You have to carry your luggage about 50 feet outdoors to a door that leads to an elevator. The elevator only goes up part way. Then you get off and carry the luggage up a long ramp, through a dining room then up a long flight of stairs to the room hallway. The “Suite” was a small piece of junk. I have seen better craftsmanship on outbuildings. The closet door would not close, the bathroom door would not latch. There is a Murphy bed that is dangerous if you don’t get out of the way when you pull it down. The room was small. When we checked out it was raining and there is no covered area to load your vehicle. This hotel may be liked by people with kids, but it is not for seniors. The wi-fi did not have a good enough signal in this section of the hotel to be useable. We tolerated (barely) 2 nights there this time, but never again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank MP10001
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed June 1, 2010

Let me first say that I work in a hotel, so my eye might be a little more critical then the next. But also, because I work in a hotel, I might also be more forgiving, as I have complete understanding of what it takes to operate a hotel. So take this as you’d like; someone overly critical, or someone who knows what she is talking about. Your choice.

The best way I could descrive our stay at the Comfort Suites, Mackinaw City was “a joke”. Towards the end, all we could do was laugh.

Check in was friendly, and the desk staff actually came outside to point to where the door was, which was nice. From there, things went downhill. We made our way to the door, and through a series of tiny hallways that were VERY hard to navigate with a luggage cart (which, btw, we found outside, on the lawn). Once we made it to our floor, it was a struggle to find our room; which happened to be room 5422. We looked this way, and we looked that way. Finally, as we wondered past the breakfast area, we found a set of stairs that led up to what looked to be an extra banquet area. I thought there was no way our room would be up there, but sure enough; there it was! There was no elevator access to this floor, so I had to lug suitcases and coolers up the stairs.

The room: This hotel was advertised as a suite; which one of the reasons why I booked it. Apparently, their idea of a suite and my idea of a suite are two different things. Our room had a queen bed, and a queen size Murphy bed. In case you didn’t live in the 70’s like I did, a Murphy bed is one of those beds you pull out of a wall. Apparently, the space they saved by purchasing Murphy beds allow the hotel to falsely advertise the rooms as a suite. Maybe other rooms in the hotel are actual suites, but the room we got was no bigger then a normal hotel room with a bed we had to pull down at night.

The room did have a mini-fridge and microwave, which I knew when I booked. And thus we packed lunch meats and such. But when we got there, we found the fridge wasn’t working. I tried to call the desk, but nobody answered. We decided to fill the cooler up with fresh ice – but remember there wasn’t an elevator, right? So we had to lug the cooler down the stairs, and then back up. In the morning, we found that the cooler had reached an acceptable temperature, so we stored our food in the fridge before we left for the day. More on this later.

Next, we needed to feed the kids. It was late; around 10pm and they hadn’t eaten yet. I sent the kids to the desk to get some plates and cutlery, and they were told no. I didn’t believe my kids, because this is the hospitality industry and they MUST have plates, right? Well sure enough, I was told their plates and cutlery is reserved for breakfast only. Really!

Cleanliness: I’m a bit of a hotel snob, so it wasn’t up to my standard, but overall I’d say cleanliness would be at an acceptable level to non-hotel people. The carpets need a good cleaning though.

Housekeeping banged on our door at 8:30am and there was not a Do Not Disturb sign.

Breakfast was your standard free hotel breakfast. Nothing special, but it’s free so I don’t spend a lot of time complaining about something that was free. They have obviously recently renovated and made room for the large onslaught of people they need to accommodate on weekends. It was very unorganized and messy, and I never did see anyone working, so I couldn’t comment on service. We cleared our own table and picked at our food until we decided to grab some McDonald’s. Wait until you see the photo of the mess under the waffle maker. It makes me cringe that they won't spend $10 on a stainless steel baking tray!

Also; do you remember where I told you our room was located? That's right, right next to and above the breakfast area. The sound from breakfast was a crazy loud echo. There was no sleeping in on any of the three mornings we stayed.

When we returned that evening, we found that the fridge temp had not held, and all of our perishables had to be thrown away. Throughout the stay, every now and then, we would hear a funny beep – the microwave would beep at random times. It wasn’t until well into our second day that we discovered that the fridge/microwave were connected to the light switch by the door! Who in the world designs such a thing!!! So I guess it was our fault the food had spoiled, but really... that is the absolute dumbest design flaw I have ever seen! So beware the light switches!

The game room was adequate and entertained the kids, but for some reason, there were random pieces of fitness equipment scattered about the hotel; as if for storage. That left meager pieces of equipment left in the fitness center.

Safety was a concern as well - the exterior doors do not require a key to enter, so any old freakzoid can enter the hotel. There were mechanical key locks, so I know the intentions were there at one point; but they don't work so don't expect to feel secure. Further, our guest room door didn't close by itself - a major security breach for hotels who care about their guests.

One final thing; the other reason we booked was because of the water park. The park itself served it’s purpose, however, hours of operation didn’t suit our needs at all, and it might not serve yours, either. It opens at 10am (which is the time most people have left for the day’s activities) and closes at 10. We let the kids play for an hour or so on one of the nights, but that was it. Not worth the money at all!

The only good thing I can muster up about this hotel was that the TV was very large, and there was a large selection of channels… though many of them were fuzzy. But that is all I’ve got.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Stefanie C
Grand Rapids
Reviewed May 25, 2010

We stayed at the Aqua Grand the first night in town, the view there was great but the room itself left a lot to be desired. The next night we stayed at the comfort inn and the room was amazing. It was a lake view but we had a corner room which didn't have a balcony so the second night we booked one with a balcony and the view was amazing. The rooms were pretty large and the beds were very soft. We also loved the pirate cove water park that was connected to our hotel. The only thing that they could have improved on is the breakfast. It seems like every hotel in mackinaw city has the exact same underperforming breakfast though.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank doctorkar
Northern Ontario
Reviewed March 5, 2010

We arrived as a late check in on New Years Eve to find the hotel was clean, the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The 2 room suite with a kitchenette was the perfect size for 4 adults and 3 children. We loved the breakfast buffet, it was perfect for the adults and the kids. We will be staying again. Children and adults alike we loved the water park!

14 thumbs up!