“Never Ever Ever Ever again. And btw, it's not even a Suite!”

Crown Choice Inn & Suites Lakeview & Waterpark
Ranked #30 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Reviewed June 1, 2010

Let me first say that I work in a hotel, so my eye might be a little more critical then the next. But also, because I work in a hotel, I might also be more forgiving, as I have complete understanding of what it takes to operate a hotel. So take this as you’d like; someone overly critical, or someone who knows what she is talking about. Your choice.

The best way I could descrive our stay at the Comfort Suites, Mackinaw City was “a joke”. Towards the end, all we could do was laugh.

Check in was friendly, and the desk staff actually came outside to point to where the door was, which was nice. From there, things went downhill. We made our way to the door, and through a series of tiny hallways that were VERY hard to navigate with a luggage cart (which, btw, we found outside, on the lawn). Once we made it to our floor, it was a struggle to find our room; which happened to be room 5422. We looked this way, and we looked that way. Finally, as we wondered past the breakfast area, we found a set of stairs that led up to what looked to be an extra banquet area. I thought there was no way our room would be up there, but sure enough; there it was! There was no elevator access to this floor, so I had to lug suitcases and coolers up the stairs.

The room: This hotel was advertised as a suite; which one of the reasons why I booked it. Apparently, their idea of a suite and my idea of a suite are two different things. Our room had a queen bed, and a queen size Murphy bed. In case you didn’t live in the 70’s like I did, a Murphy bed is one of those beds you pull out of a wall. Apparently, the space they saved by purchasing Murphy beds allow the hotel to falsely advertise the rooms as a suite. Maybe other rooms in the hotel are actual suites, but the room we got was no bigger then a normal hotel room with a bed we had to pull down at night.

The room did have a mini-fridge and microwave, which I knew when I booked. And thus we packed lunch meats and such. But when we got there, we found the fridge wasn’t working. I tried to call the desk, but nobody answered. We decided to fill the cooler up with fresh ice – but remember there wasn’t an elevator, right? So we had to lug the cooler down the stairs, and then back up. In the morning, we found that the cooler had reached an acceptable temperature, so we stored our food in the fridge before we left for the day. More on this later.

Next, we needed to feed the kids. It was late; around 10pm and they hadn’t eaten yet. I sent the kids to the desk to get some plates and cutlery, and they were told no. I didn’t believe my kids, because this is the hospitality industry and they MUST have plates, right? Well sure enough, I was told their plates and cutlery is reserved for breakfast only. Really!

Cleanliness: I’m a bit of a hotel snob, so it wasn’t up to my standard, but overall I’d say cleanliness would be at an acceptable level to non-hotel people. The carpets need a good cleaning though.

Housekeeping banged on our door at 8:30am and there was not a Do Not Disturb sign.

Breakfast was your standard free hotel breakfast. Nothing special, but it’s free so I don’t spend a lot of time complaining about something that was free. They have obviously recently renovated and made room for the large onslaught of people they need to accommodate on weekends. It was very unorganized and messy, and I never did see anyone working, so I couldn’t comment on service. We cleared our own table and picked at our food until we decided to grab some McDonald’s. Wait until you see the photo of the mess under the waffle maker. It makes me cringe that they won't spend $10 on a stainless steel baking tray!

Also; do you remember where I told you our room was located? That's right, right next to and above the breakfast area. The sound from breakfast was a crazy loud echo. There was no sleeping in on any of the three mornings we stayed.

When we returned that evening, we found that the fridge temp had not held, and all of our perishables had to be thrown away. Throughout the stay, every now and then, we would hear a funny beep – the microwave would beep at random times. It wasn’t until well into our second day that we discovered that the fridge/microwave were connected to the light switch by the door! Who in the world designs such a thing!!! So I guess it was our fault the food had spoiled, but really... that is the absolute dumbest design flaw I have ever seen! So beware the light switches!

The game room was adequate and entertained the kids, but for some reason, there were random pieces of fitness equipment scattered about the hotel; as if for storage. That left meager pieces of equipment left in the fitness center.

Safety was a concern as well - the exterior doors do not require a key to enter, so any old freakzoid can enter the hotel. There were mechanical key locks, so I know the intentions were there at one point; but they don't work so don't expect to feel secure. Further, our guest room door didn't close by itself - a major security breach for hotels who care about their guests.

One final thing; the other reason we booked was because of the water park. The park itself served it’s purpose, however, hours of operation didn’t suit our needs at all, and it might not serve yours, either. It opens at 10am (which is the time most people have left for the day’s activities) and closes at 10. We let the kids play for an hour or so on one of the nights, but that was it. Not worth the money at all!

The only good thing I can muster up about this hotel was that the TV was very large, and there was a large selection of channels… though many of them were fuzzy. But that is all I’ve got.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Stefanie C
There are newer reviews for Crown Choice Inn & Suites Lakeview & Waterpark

Reviewed May 25, 2010

We stayed at the Aqua Grand the first night in town, the view there was great but the room itself left a lot to be desired. The next night we stayed at the comfort inn and the room was amazing. It was a lake view but we had a corner room which didn't have a balcony so the second night we booked one with a balcony and the view was amazing. The rooms were pretty large and the beds were very soft. We also loved the pirate cove water park that was connected to our hotel. The only thing that they could have improved on is the breakfast. It seems like every hotel in mackinaw city has the exact same underperforming breakfast though.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank doctorkar
Reviewed March 5, 2010

We arrived as a late check in on New Years Eve to find the hotel was clean, the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The 2 room suite with a kitchenette was the perfect size for 4 adults and 3 children. We loved the breakfast buffet, it was perfect for the adults and the kids. We will be staying again. Children and adults alike we loved the water park!

14 thumbs up!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 3, 2010

Great and friendly service, clean rooms, awesome pirate swimming place for the kids, suite was great and not crowded at all in room with 6 of us all ages and sizes, close to things to do and great view! I definately will be going often and staying here just to enjoy the view and relax.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 20, 2010

If you're looking for stress free reservations, don't make a reservation here.

This hotel is part of a group of hotels owned by the same person/company. We wanted to stay at another property, and when we called, we reached the Comfort Suites who offered us a one-time only manager's special...it was a good rate. (The property we wanted to stay at was closed.) I've stayed at a number of the Choice Hotels International properties and have been pleased with the service, rooms, etc.

I decided to make the reservation. At the end of the conversation, the reservations guy said that when I hang up I won't be able to cancel the reservation because the hotel has a 72-hour cancellation policy, so I changed my reservation from a Fri/Sat to just Sat to allow me a window of cancellation since I found this policy to be a little extreme...and I felt a little pressured. I've never seen a 72-hour cancellation policy before...24 hours has been the max...and most have been either 4:00 or 6:00 p.m. on the day of arrival. (Travel plans change especially when traveling in the winter and with small children.)

Then I saw the TripAdvisor reviews about the hotel and spoke to a friend who had stayed there. I should have done my research first, but I wasn't planning on staying at the Comfort Suites when I called to make a reservation at a different hotel...and the rate offered was great. Anyway, my friend confirmed the negative comments on TripAdvisor and told me not to stay there...horrible service, dirty rooms.

I called to cancel my reservation at 6:30 p.m. (I made the reservation at 9/9:30 p.m. the night before), so I thought I was within the 72-hour window. The employee informed me that I hadn't cancelled within 72 hours...because the cancellation policy is based on a 12:00 noon day of arrival deadline...of which I had not been informed at the time I made the reservation. I explained this to the employee who said he could do nothing because I hadn't called by noon...and refused to work with me. I called back and spoke to a second person who basically suggested I was lying when I said I had not been told of the noon deadline and told me they record all their calls. I agreed that it would be a good idea to review those tapes. I haven't heard back from them, so I'll wait to see if my credit card has been charged. (Fortunately, my credit card company said they'll open a dispute claim if the charge does go through.)

Anyway, I thought I'd inform others considering a stay at the Comfort Suites. Be aware of their policies...and know that their customer service is terrible.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 29, 2009

We tryied to stay here passing thru town on our "honeymoon" we were married sunday and are going on our real honeymoon in the summer. We got to the hotel checked in and went to our room. With all the bedbug scares latly i am very cautious about checking everything at a hotel or strange place for them.... Well it imeadiatly threw me off when the halls smelt like rubbing alcohol because this is a way to kill bedbugs. So when we got to our room paranoid i started checking the walls and beds for the bugs and sure enough found them. so if you don't want to leave with extra baggage don't stay here

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2009

Spent 4 nights. 2nd time we stayed here. This time we got a two room suite on the lower floor. Very nice room and a seperate room for the two kids. A little more then a regular room but well worth it. Front desk was very friendly and gave me the exact room locating that I had requested two months eariler when i made the reservation. Breakfast is ok...its free so what can you say. The only thing I had a problem with is the spa was not hot enough and only one jet was working. I hope they address this issue before i return for my next visit. The indoor water park is the best. They kids loved it!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family