“Never Again!!!”

Crown Choice Inn & Suites Lakeview & Waterpark
Ranked #30 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Reviewed September 10, 2006

Where do I start?? Recently my husband and I took our honeymoon in the U.P. The first night there we stayed at a Comfort Inn and had no problems..Then We find Comfort Suites. You think you are getting a Suite but low and behold you are just getting a room..Beware cause you get charged the whole amount of money up front but they dont let you know this before your stay is up. And no reciept is given to you until the end. The area that we stayed in was above the waterpark. There were kids running up and down the hallway at all hours and doors slamming. The wind was coming through the bottom of the door that you could see under. It looked like the builders forgot how to cut the drywall straight. It didnt look like a high quality hotel like it suggests. Everybody in town can come to the pool / hot tub/ waterpark. In which I got glass in the top of my foot cause someone apparently broke glass in the hot tub. we felt it on the ledge. There is no one there to make sure that these are hotel guests in the area. The sauna was unavailable for use. It was filled with a hose and several chairs. These rooms are not even featured on the site and they have no balcony as it says. You are given security cards to get into the building but the building is left unlocked so the only thing you use your security card for is the room. When calling the manager of the faciltiy to question him on the billing and about the room itself he had no professional responses just excuses. We had to call there 5 times to finally talk to him because he was not available and never called back. He stated he never got the message . Anyways I would not recommend anyone stay here. It is a joke. They are crooks. We are in contact with the choice hotels main headquarters in order to resolve this issue.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dolphin36
There are newer reviews for Crown Choice Inn & Suites Lakeview & Waterpark

Reviewed August 11, 2006

My family stayed here the week of July 25th. The rooms were nice, but the staff was extremely unfriendly. We never had maid service until 7 PM every night, and turned it away a couple days because our son was getting ready for bed. We had to chase the maids down to get towels, toilet paper,kleenex etc. Our garbage was never removed.
The final straw was in the breakfast line when I was yelled at for moving the coffee pot out of the brewer, because I thought it was finished. The line attendant swore at me, asked me if I could read, etc. We tried to complain to the manager, but he never seemed to be available.
As for the water park, it was fine for my 3 year old, but my older kids (11 and 13) were bored. There is no attendant at the door, several people walked from other hotels to use the pool, as well as the free breakfast. There are several hotels in the area that had vacancies and seemed really nice.
For $220 a night I would expect much more.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank anniecat
Reviewed August 10, 2006

1.Desk Help very ignorant about local environment (here are the brochures of the restaurants we own (only 3)). Also very rude.
2.Breakfast bar is shared by 8 hotel/motels. Not your typical breakfast environment. If you’re staying on the floor with the breakfast bar, beware of traffic.
3.Water Park is shared by 8 hotel/motels. Not your typical swimming environment (unless you like Woodstock in your pool).
4.No security whatsoever. Amazing, people from the road can enter the Hotel and eat/swim. No validation of stay is necessary. Hotels these days use card readers at entrance doors, not this one. Anyone can come in.
5.Very Misleading Ad’s. I thought the water park and breakfast bar were exclusive to my $150.00 room. Turns out the dude staying in the shacks next door for $50.00 can have the same privileges (and coming through your hallway for breakfast and the water park). No class!
6.$150.00 room finished in 2005 had lamp shades and couch pillows tattered. Called help and they replaced with the next rooms furnishings. Glad I didn’t come in after me.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank gonzos21112
Reviewed June 4, 2006

We stayed elsewhere, but I have to comment on the "HUGE" indoor waterpark. It was terrible! Do not waste your money by staying here if you want the waterpark. It is small, dirty, hot, crowded, no towels, no one at the door checking room keys so everyone and anyone can come right in, and it made our eyes burn. What a waste of money building this jungle gym.

Stayed: May 2006
12  Thank mjkandik
Reviewed October 31, 2005

The worst experience we have ever had with a hotel. It gave us a bad impression of Mackinaw City. We would not recommend ever staying there and was so afraid we would have extra charges on our bill. We walked out when we couldn't get refund and left the keys on the counter. Don't ever frequent this motel. They are not honest business men. We hae never been treated so rudely.

8  Thank bonelle3917
A TripAdvisor Member
Michigan
Reviewed October 29, 2005

Comfort Suites lured me in by the old "bait and switch". I booked a 1 room suite w/ 2 queen beds, partial room divider, wallbed, balcony and lake view. This room rate was $79.00 plus taxes, etc. The above room features and rate was confirmed when I made the reservation. Upon check-in I told the clerk my name and she acted confused then asked the other clerk to help her. They pointed at the computer and talked under their breath so I could not hear. They agreed about something. Thus, she gave me a room number and charged me $125.00! I let them know that my room was reserved for a lot less and they insisted that was the price. I asked to speak to a manager to no avail. I could not leave because if I did they would charge me for a no show. My room was ready at 3:00, so they said. It was now 4:30 and upon entering my room a housekeeper told me the room was not clean yet and to come back in a little while. So I did. Again, upon entering my room, I find that they gave me the wrong room! I called down to the desk and of course I was wrong once again. I was stuck with this room. It was a nice room but not the room I reserved. Only 1 queen bed with a pull-down Murphy bed, no room divider, no balcony and no lake view. I brought this to their attention upon check-out and they said there was nothing they could do. I asked to see the manager again to no avail. I asked who I can talk to about righting this wrong. They could not give me an answer.

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 11, 2005

WE recently stayed at this hotel because of the indoor waterpark. The waterpark is great for kids. The suite rooms ( one queen bed and one king bed and a sofa bed) are plenty big for a family. They even have a regular size microwave. The staff was friendly. The breakfast area is very large. There is a game room and a workout room in this area. When we were there is seems that they were still planning on doing some more construction. I was very pleased with this hotel especially after staying at another hotel that advertised a waterpark. This was a great deal for the money. Kids had a great time, breakfast was great. We will stay here when we come back to Mackinaw city.

7  Thank amoelsol