“Not a Waterpark”

Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Saint Clair Shores, Michigan
“Not a Waterpark”
Reviewed June 4, 2006

We stayed elsewhere, but I have to comment on the "HUGE" indoor waterpark. It was terrible! Do not waste your money by staying here if you want the waterpark. It is small, dirty, hot, crowded, no towels, no one at the door checking room keys so everyone and anyone can come right in, and it made our eyes burn. What a waste of money building this jungle gym.

Stayed May 2006
12 Thank mjkandik

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
port huron, mi
Reviewed October 31, 2005

The worst experience we have ever had with a hotel. It gave us a bad impression of Mackinaw City. We would not recommend ever staying there and was so afraid we would have extra charges on our bill. We walked out when we couldn't get refund and left the keys on the counter. Don't ever frequent this motel. They are not honest business men. We hae never been treated so rudely.

8 Thank bonelle3917
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 29, 2005

Comfort Suites lured me in by the old "bait and switch". I booked a 1 room suite w/ 2 queen beds, partial room divider, wallbed, balcony and lake view. This room rate was $79.00 plus taxes, etc. The above room features and rate was confirmed when I made the reservation. Upon check-in I told the clerk my name and she acted confused then asked the other clerk to help her. They pointed at the computer and talked under their breath so I could not hear. They agreed about something. Thus, she gave me a room number and charged me $125.00! I let them know that my room was reserved for a lot less and they insisted that was the price. I asked to speak to a manager to no avail. I could not leave because if I did they would charge me for a no show. My room was ready at 3:00, so they said. It was now 4:30 and upon entering my room a housekeeper told me the room was not clean yet and to come back in a little while. So I did. Again, upon entering my room, I find that they gave me the wrong room! I called down to the desk and of course I was wrong once again. I was stuck with this room. It was a nice room but not the room I reserved. Only 1 queen bed with a pull-down Murphy bed, no room divider, no balcony and no lake view. I brought this to their attention upon check-out and they said there was nothing they could do. I asked to see the manager again to no avail. I asked who I can talk to about righting this wrong. They could not give me an answer.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Central Illinois
Reviewed October 11, 2005

WE recently stayed at this hotel because of the indoor waterpark. The waterpark is great for kids. The suite rooms ( one queen bed and one king bed and a sofa bed) are plenty big for a family. They even have a regular size microwave. The staff was friendly. The breakfast area is very large. There is a game room and a workout room in this area. When we were there is seems that they were still planning on doing some more construction. I was very pleased with this hotel especially after staying at another hotel that advertised a waterpark. This was a great deal for the money. Kids had a great time, breakfast was great. We will stay here when we come back to Mackinaw city.

7 Thank amoelsol
Monroe, Michigan
Reviewed August 22, 2005

Where to begin? I called the hotel to book a 2 queen room - was given a rate of $148 - told her I had a AAA coupon for $20 off so that brought it to $128 - she said if I booked it right now she could offer me a rate of $118 - so I booked it. I asked to have a confirmation emailed to me - glad I did - when I read it - it showed "suite 1 queen" - I got to the hotel to check in - I ask what that meant - figuring that it was just a type of queen room and was told it was a room with a queen bed and a murphy bed - I explained that was not what I reserved - I reserved 2 queens. Being a choice privledge club member - I asked for my "free" upgrade - the male manager said he did not have any direct upgrades, but I was welcome to pay $20 to upgrade to a room with a King bed and a queen bed. Now, mind you - I had originally booked for a 2 queen room - so this "upgrade" should not have cost me anything. I had to pay the upgrade charge to be able to accomodate the 2 adults and 2 children in my family. On to the "waterpark" - they advertise on their website - Largest indoor waterpark in MC - and they need to give an award for "Misleading Marketing" to the marketing company who is putting these ads together! They fail to tell you that they advertise all the slides with plural s's but you will only find 1 of each slide. They fail to tell you that the entire structure is about 20 feet long and maybe 15 feet high - a little more if you count the little bucket on the top. They ALSO fail to tell you that even though you are a registered paying guest of this hotel - you will be sharing that "waterpark", pool and hot tub with hundreds of guests from about 6 other surrounding hotels - isn't that lovely?? Needless to say, we will not be going back there again!!

• Stayed August 2005
15 Thank twinmomlisa
Chicago suburb
Reviewed July 20, 2005

I was under the mistaken idea that every room at the Comfort Suites was a suite - I was sadly wrong. We had a room in the "new building." In order to get there, we had to find the outdoor entrance in the back of the building (hidden from the street), take the elevator to the third floor, go across the sky bridge, past the breakfast room (which I'll comment on in a minute), and up a huge flight of stairs (with luggage and three kids!) The room was one room with a double bed and a murphy bed. Hardly what was represented on the website. I trekked back to the Manager, who told me that our room was not a suite. When I complained that we did not receive what was represented on the website, he could care less. He would not give us our money back and claimed the hotel was full so he couldn't give us a suite. Later that night the "vacancy" sign remained lit. The breakfast was terrible. The worst part - we paid $200 for this stay! Beware!

• Stayed July 2005
12 Thank carrieo
Pecatonica, Illinois
Reviewed June 12, 2005

I saw only two stars by this motel on a travel booking web site! I can't believe it. My family of six spent two nights here. The desk clerk had a perfect room for us. I booked a few months in advance and got a terrific suite. It was ground floor, it had two bedrooms with two queen beds in one along with its own air conditioner and T.V.. Our room was a King Bed with a large Jacuzzi, a T.V. and its own air conditioner. Plus a small fridge, a microwave, sink and coffee maker with plastic bowls and eating utensils free for the asking. The bathroom had two sinks and doors to every room. This place was within walking distance to everything you need. So we never moved the car. The ferry to the island is across the street. A beautiful outdoor pool. And an indoor water park and pool is new. The water park is not geared for kids much older than 10 years, but the pools are. Our rates were great! I guess by booking early. The rooms are spotless and the help is all friendly. The free full hot breakfast will save you money as food prices are ridiculous in the area. Two stars? Try five!

11 Thank biknrun