“Very clean, but noise level was high”

Crown Choice Inn & Suites Lakeview & Waterpark
Ranked #31 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Port Clinton, Ohio
“Very clean, but noise level was high”
Reviewed August 25, 2014

We got the Jacuzzi suite for discount price because the room that we booked was not available. Bonus for us!! Our room was very clean, and not outdated. The only problem was the noise level. Our room was under a hallway, so all night we heard footsteps and the entry door closing.

Even with the noise level so loud and continuous, we would stay there again. The clerk was friendly and the room was clean.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Reviewed August 18, 2014

I originally booked my room with Super 8, but after an emergency and our arriving late, they cancelled our hotel with minimal notice, leaving us wandering around Mackinaw City in the dark at 3 am. I came to Mackinaw to drop my daughter off for camping on the Island the next day. I found this hotel, and Romona, the front desk clerk was able to find us a room for $99. I was tired and grateful for a place to lay our heads for a few hours, but that's where it ended. The hallways hadn't seen a vacuum in weeks. The set up of the hotel was awkward, so we had to take an elevator to the third floor, then walk up a ramp, through the "breakfast room" up two sets of stairs before we got to our room. When we got into the breakfast room area, the overwhelming odor of mildew hit us right in the face. My daughter has asthma, so I was worried that this may have some bearing on her condition. We were going to place our food inside the of the mini fridge, but because it is in a cabinet, the heat from the compressor combined with the small space, makes the refrigerator ineffective. Two of the outlets on the walls where the beds were did not work, the hook on the back of the bathroom door was broken, so your clothes fall onto the floor if not hung just the right way and the room hadn't had a thorough vacuuming in weeks. I have a knee injury so climbing the steps etc., was not a good thing for my knee.

My daughter forgot her toothbrush and wanted to shower, so she asked if someone could bring up an extra toothbrush and shower cap (there wasn't one in the bathroom). She was told she would have to go down and get them from the front desk. On the way back, she decided to get breakfast, but was gone over an hour, the majority of that was spent standing in the food line that went back all the way to the laundry room, outside which was two full carts of what appeared to be dirty laundry. The breakfast area has soft spots in the floor which worry me that the floor is unstable underneath due to the water park below. I suspect that when the water park was added, that the building was not waterproofed to handle the constant humidity of water from the water park. There was scaffolding in the breakfast room and there's dehumidifiers lining the halls. That does not help the smell of mildew. When we went to check out, guests had taken food back to their rooms, and there on top of the crumbs that have been there for weeks, plastic cutlery, cherrios, etc., all in the halls. My daughter mentioned that the food was not good, and took two bites of the food she waited almost an hour to get (causing her to be late), and I ended up throwing it out.

The housekeeping staff does not wear uniforms, which I found unprofessional. They also try to clean when everyone is just getting up and to breakfast which is chaotic and I found more than one maid cart blocking the very narrow halls. I was surprised when I went to the door to come in the building at 3 am and found it unlocked, which is a security issue. There's a place to swipe your key card, but it either wasn't working or was disengaged.

I appreciate them helping me in a pinch, but I wouldn't stay in this hotel again. The owner is clearly driven by the ability to make a quick buck, rather than the safety and cleanliness of the hotel and basic maintenance to protect his/her guests.

2 Thank Leanette H
RO
Reviewed August 14, 2014

My family of 5 stayed here for two nights and we were extremely disappointed. The staff at the front desk is awful - zero customer service. We got a family suite for almost 200 per night. The hotel is older and way overpriced for the accommodations/amenities. The first morning our toilet flooded the bathroom floor. I called the front desk for the housekeeper then we left to visit the island. When we returned that night no one had cleaned the room let alone cleaned up the bathroom. All the dirty wet towels were still in the floor. I called the front desk upset and was told housekeeping didn't come because we put a do not disturb sign up which wasn't true. I explained the situation to the front desk manager that I called and asked for someone to come up immediately due to the toilet and he argued with me!! He said he had no record of my call. Absolutely terrible service! The breakfast is awful, one of the TVs in our room did not work, and the water park is tiny and boring for anyone over 5. Plus the water was too cold for my kids. I never give reviews but felt obligated because my experience was so bad. Do not stay here. Pick a different hotel!

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Hljack827
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed August 14, 2014

I could not understand a word that the check-in clerk said upon arrival and she was quite rude. Finding our room was somewhat of a hike. The building was remodeled at some point and there are two buildings with a connector on the third floor. Our room consisted of two beds; one hard and one soft. Luckily, I like the soft and my mom likes the hard bed so we were okay there. The floors really needed a good cleaning with a vacuum to pick up the crumbs. These are not suites.. well at least mine wasn't. The entrance to our building had ZERO security and anyone could walk in off the streets. The water park was decent but apparently it's the only one in town and other hotels guests have access to it. Day one was okay but on day two there was NO attendant on duty and NO towels to dry off. The breakfast area set up was a mess. The best thing about it was the waffles... However, the three waffle makers are in the same location which caused a pile-up. Thank God we didn't see any cockroaches.

1 Thank MotherOfTwo0608
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed August 13, 2014

DO NOT STAY HERE! What a rip off. Absolute terrible experience, which began the moment we walked in the door. We arrived late (9:30pm) and the girls at the front desk did not greet us. We had reservations for a king suite for one night at $287 after tax. My mom was with our family of 4 and we were splitting the bill. When we told them that, they acted like it would be a big hassle to split it. Finally the rude girl who seemed to be in charge agreed to split it, but very reluctantly. We were told that the pool and water park is only open from 10a-10p, so for $287 we only got to use the pool for 1 hour! Our kids didn't even get to use the water park! We noticed lots of other hotels later on in town that had pools that were open much later, and that opened much earlier in the morning! Anyway, after check-in, we made our way to the room. The halls of the hotel look like they need a new paint job and there is an awful smell to the entire place. The windows are all cloudy and the carpet and walls are too dark giving it a gloomy feel. Then when we reached our room, we were even more disappointed. Our King "Suite" was just a basic hotel room with a king sized bed and a queen sized bed in the same room! My husband and I took the queen and my mother and kids slept in the king. There was a very small sitting area when you first walked in with a sofa that pulled out into a bed, but the sofa was very old and dirty looking. No way was I going to make my kids or my mom sleep on there! There was a "kitchenette" which was basically a hallway with a sink and fridge and cabinets that were outdated. The bathroom was in that hallway, so you couldn't really stand in the kitchen if someone needed to get to the bathroom. The room did have a nice balcony but we had a view of the parking lot! I couldn't believe we had just paid $287 for this dump! That was BEFORE we reached for the ice bucket and noticed it had melted ice in it from the previous guests! I called the front desk and explained the situation. Any hotel I have ever stayed in would have been totally apologetic and embarrassed and would have bent over backwards to take care of us. They just sat there in silence so I asked if we could get a clean bucket and a bag for ice and she said "I will try to come and assist you in a minute." then she hung up. She never called back and never showed up with a clean bucket! No one checked back with us at all about the situation. I decided to go on a trek to find ice so i took the plastic off of the 5 new cups that were in the room and took my kids with me to help. There were no signs in the hallway pointing you to vending or ice, you just had to find it yourself. Finally, I decided there must be no ice on the 2nd floor so I took the elevator up to the 3rd floor and stumbled upon the area where they would be serving breakfast the next day, and the awful smell we had smelled upon arrival was getting stronger. As i walked beyond the breakfast area, I came upon 2 huge bins of dirty towels and sheets that had been sitting there a while. No wonder the place stunk! Eventually we found the ONLY ICE MACHINE in the whole place, which is located in the laundry room. It appeared laundry was being done because it was hotter than blue blazes in that room. I ran in and filled the 5 cups with ice and then the kids and I carried them back to the room. Later we walked around town and found tons of really nice looking places to stay next time that look clean. The next morning breakfast was a huge disappointment. the best part was the belgian waffles that you make yourself. Everything else tasted artificial and bland. We were thankful we got down to breakfast when we did, because when we left we saw a line of at least 30 people waiting for what would inevitibly be a disappointing breakfast. We commented to each other that we were glad we didn't have to wait in line for THAT breakfast! The best part of our stay was the times we got out of the room and walked around Mackinaw City. We aren't picky at all when it comes to hotel rooms, so it should speak volumes when I say we definitely won't be staying here again!!!

Room Tip: If they are rude on the phone when you call to book, they'll be even more rude in person! Do you...
2 Thank A F
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

Check in was the best part of our stay. Had 3 rooms and were upgraded for 2 rooms because of choice member. Rooms are old looking and tired, need major updating. Water park was very nice ,kids enjoyed time spent there. Breakfast was poor, eggs were tasteless not much choice for fruit, this is the season for good fruit. The people working the front desk are the best part of this hotel, nice friendly, helpful.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We were able to get away at the last minute and therefore were not able to research or book a hotel in advance. It has been several years since we had visited the City of Mackinaw and so we thought we should take another visit. The city itself is great, beautiful and quite enjoyable. Our hotel on the other hand was absolutely not!
Since we did not have reservations in advance they totally overcharged us on our disgusting room. It feels as if it was a crime the price we had paid!! So disappointing!!
The room was musty, humid and the floor had felt moist. The room had not been cleaned properly as there was food left in our room and there were pieces of a maxi pad wrapper left in our room under one of the beds!!!!
Our children did enjoy the splash pad area but the smell of chemical in the pool area was overwhelming. As well anyone could enter or exit the pool area from all angles so I did not feel as if this was a secured area for my children. The pool was very cloudy and one of my children complained that their eyes and throat were burning from the pool! Needless to say they were not allowed to go in the pool again.
The breakfast was beyond disappointing. Waiting in line for a over a half hour is not fun at all, only to have boxed food served to you. I understand the need for speed when serving a large amount of people but I also believe in quality.
Something did not sit well with us from this hotel and we were very happy to leave!!! People work hard for there money and to us this hotel basically stole ours. We will return to Mackinaw City again but we would rather sleep in our car then stay here again!!!

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family