“Not impressed!”

Crown Choice Inn & Suites Lakeview & Waterpark
Ranked #30 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

Not sure I'll ever visit this area again, but I know I'll never stay here again. Dirty carpet, bugs in the room, smoke alarm that went off when I took a warm (not hot) shower, crowded nasty breakfast area ...these are just high points. Mama told me if you don't have something nice to say, then don't say anything at all. I guess I should be speechless!

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JanineD536
There are newer reviews for Crown Choice Inn & Suites Lakeview & Waterpark

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Breakfast area on the third floor was difficult to access. In the rooms on the ground floor you are unable to close the curtains over the exit door when you leave the room so people can see into the room while you are gone. The internet connection was very sporadic and unreliable. When we checked out they were unable to provide me with a copy of the bill but they said that they would email me a copy. They did not send me a copy. I made a followup request by phone and still I received no copy of the bill. Some of the desk clerks were courteous but a couple of them seemed to have attitude problems.

Room Tip: I would advise you to avoid this hotel. I wish that we had checked TripAdvisor reviews before we bo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ed and Pam R
Reviewed June 11, 2014

We always stay at this hotel when we go to Mackinac. In the past years we've seen it decline, as it's become very dated and just doesn't feel nice to spend more time in the rooms than needed. We started started staying here more than a decade ago when everything felt nice! Sadly it's not the same feel anymore. We are returning to Mackinac for our annual trip this year and will not be staying here. We are prepared to pay a bit more for somewhere which is better kept. Nothing is worse then going into a hotel room and upon inspection for the first time, it's feels like a big let down. On the flip side, we've always loved the pool and the continental breaky! No complaints. Staff has always been fine. But the hotel needs to invest a little into improvements and I understand from a business perspective that's something you want to minimize, but in saving the expenditure, you are also losing returning customers. We are paying a little more for a place with better reviews. A positive note, this hotel is right on the beach front if you go out back. It's lovely to hang out in the evenings at sunset!

Room Tip: Try somewhere else! This is ok if it's off season and you are only paying $40 per night. But a...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank UKYankie
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Long list here: Mold & mildew everywhere- lobby, room, furniture, bathroom, pool area, spa area, suite kitchenette. Extraordinarily outdated. Disgusting smell everywhere in both suites we rented for the night. TERRIBLE front desk service after a long day of travel with an incredibly unkempt & disorganized lobby. Rooms are DISGUSTING. Holes in the sheets, bugs inside the room, spider webs & dust in all the corners & around the window/doors. The pool area had the most appalling smell to it, I refused to go in any of the water because it was clear the company isn't keeping it adequately cleaned & chemical-treated. None of the staff is actually in any sort of uniform so when someone came to change our molded & dirty sheets, we had no idea who was knocking at 11pm. Overall message: avoid this incredibly low-level, motel like experience when it's this incredibly overpriced. Truthfully. Also, I was going to upload the pictures I took of this... place, but I would have to upload an entire album of all of the mold, bugs/ants/spiders, cobwebs, mildewed bathroom, etc. I do NOT understand how this is a legal and licensed lodging establishment. Getting reported.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank L M
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I stayed here Easter weekend 2014 and the rooms were alright (I stayed in a suite and it was big) but my family stayed in a regular room and it was quite small. The pool is extremely hard to access, you either have to go outside and then walk to another building, or you have to go upstairs and then walk across the hotel and then go downstairs again, kind of a pain in the butt! The housekeeping services were not great. Our room was cleaned while we were out ( and we had run out of toilet paper) and we we came back there was no more, we asked a maid later and got some! I must say though, the absolute WORST part of this hotel is the Continental Breakfast! It was virtually in edible! I can usually always find something, but I couldn't eat ANYTHING here! Also the parking lot is way too small and cannot hold enough cars for all the rooms. That being said, it is close to the bridge (and we spent all our time in St. Ignace, and the waterpark and pool are great for kids (and adults!!) I could stay here again, but I would bring my own breakfast foods. The location is nice. Like I said, not horrible, but not what I was expecting from Mackinaw City!!

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 1, 2014

For being one of the newer hotels in Mackinaw, the quality was very poor. The room had very outdated looking furniture. Upon arrival, our bed was a mess (looked like someone had slept in it), the comforter was dirty, and the furniture dusty. There was no extra bedding for the pull out couch. The t.v. did not work properly and when the front desk was called, nobody came to fix it. My husband was able to finally get it to work. The breakfast area was huge and would've been nice if the area didn't smell so badly. My husband said it was a moldy smell which was overpowering and did not smell the least bit clean. The breakfast itself wasn't bad wish there would've been a selection of fresh fruit (apples, bananas, oranges) instead of bowl of canned fruit. My kids loved the pool area. I didn't like that the "waterpark" part was on a timer and someone had to go turn it back on. We didn't know that at first and it seemed kind of goofy. The hot tub looked like the water was green and I refused to go in it at first. My mom asked a guy who appeared to be an employee and he assured her that it was not really green (It seriously looked like swamp water) and that it was the color of the hot tub area itself. He said it needed to be redone. It also seemed goofy to have to wear those paper bracelets to the pool when there was nobody there to check them.

Despite the kids having fun, I don't think I would recommend this hotel. If it's a last resort option maybe, but I wouldn't rush back.

Room Tip: Our room was on the third floor same as the breakfast room. I would not want to stay close to the p...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Mycrazylife
Reviewed March 24, 2014

The water park is nice for the little ones and parents can watch them play from the whirl pool! very Convenient hotel has great location, room was clean, breakfast was good, pool and whirlpool and Jacuzzi also

Room Tip: my advice would be to upgrade to a suite room are much to small for a family!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family