Crown Choice Inn & Suites Lakeview & Waterpark
Ranked #29 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Clarkston, Michigan
“DIR...TY!!”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were very excited for our Memorial weekend vacation to Mackinaw. We arrived late to the hotel and literally unpacked the car and put the kids to bed. When we woke up the next morning we realized we had landed in some kind of dirty/icky-land. There was an un-clean smell, followed by dirty carpet/floor and even some lovely smashed May-flies on the walls. We called the front desk and notified them of the situation and they did say they would thoroughly clean the room while we were out that day. When we returned, I'll admit it was cleaner...but it simply masked the bigger issue that THIS HOTEL HAS A MAJOR CLEANLYNESS PROBLEM!! The hallways/stairwells are disgustingly dirty. Filth has accumulated in the hallways for SO LONG, that the corners had literal piles of dirt/food/grim in them. Dirty elevator too. Empty cups on the floor for multiple days. Which mean cleaning staff walked right past them without picking them up. It also means that there is no manager checking up after the staff. The "Water Park" is just like the hotel. Dirty...dirty...disgustingly dirty. It was a glorified play set with some hoses attached. But again, it was hard to get past the filth! Literal filth!

Stay away!! STAY AWAY...unless you are a new cleaning staff and can help this hotel revive itself!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank dvmharris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Gaylord, Michigan
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I booked a room at this hotel for my Granddaughters 2nd Birthday... I wanted it to be a Mimi and Grandbaby night, so that she could enjoy the little waterpark.. Well I went to pick her up after work on the day of check in and my Daughter told me she was running a fever... I thought oh no she cant go and enjoy herself if she is sick, and she could get sicker if I took her. So I immediately called the hotel to see if there was a way that I could reschedule for another night... After explaining to the Gal on the phone the situation (which by the way she was not very pleasant) she said that she would have to get a hold of the General Manager and call me right back.. After a couple hours and no call back I tried to call them and she said it would have to be tomorrow when they call me, cause he was not available. I said ok that I would wait to hear and expressed to her my appreciation.
WELL so much for that as I waited almost ALL day and no call; so I tried to call them again, and guess what I was blown off AGAIN... Called everyday to try to talk to the General Manager myself, NO LUCK! I was not asking for a refund I just wanted to rebook the room to maybe a week or so later (which the rates would have been the same... I checked) I cannot believe the way I was treated.... I even told her that I could supply a Dr.s note if that would help as my daughter took my Granddaughter to the Dr and she did have an ear infection :(

I do know that if I cant get good customer service when I have not even been to the hotel in person, I can only imagine how it would have been if we went,... REALLY SAD! I will say they did not hesitate to withdraw the money out of my account the VERY next day after what would have been check in...

3 Thank charissa121
Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

We were totally scared by the reviews of this place and we proved them all wrong. our room had 1 king size bed 1 queen size bed and a pullout sofa in a separate room that was separated by a kitchen and bathroom. We also had a crib which they wanted to charge $6 night, so we ended up bringing our own. the room had a fridge microwave and sink, it worked out great for us, the beds were comfortable and when we called for more pillows and blankets they arrived quickly. the water park was awesome huge pool huge hot tub and a cool slide splash area for the kids which was a little cold. The next day we ask them to turn up the heat and it felt like they did. It was not busy at all for the end of May but it was rather cold outside so that may have had something to do with the attendance. We felt like we had a hotel to ourselves the only bad thing was during the week breakfast is across the street at a different hotel we were not expecting that. But it was okay. all in all we got to walk to the ferry and experience Mackinaw City and Mackinac Island for a good price. We would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank TwoandTwoHighChairs
Marquette, Michigan
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed at the Comfort Suites during the last weekend in April. We were supposed to stay at the Bridge Vista, but due to a major water main break, we were relocated to the Comfort Suites. Since we were staying during the off season (and likely since we had to move hotels), we got a normally very expensive suite for $69 a night. The placard on the door stated that the room was normally $358 a night, and it would definitely NOT be worth that price. We had a nice suite with a pull-out couch, kitchenette, and large main room with balcony. I have no complaints about the room itself. It was WAY too far to go to the pool. We had to go up a floor, cross a walkway, go through the breakfast area and down 3 very stinky and humid flights of stairs. The kids had a lot of fun in the pool. The floor of the actual pool was incredibly rough, and I cut myself just standing up. No one was monitoring the pool area, even though wristbands were "required" for entry. The pool area was large and aside from above complaints was very fun.

Room Tip: Travel during the off season to save major cash! Stay on the third floor to be far closer to breakfa...
1 Thank yoopfam
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed April 24, 2013

This is a great hotel to stay at with a family! Our suite was very spacious and clean, with a great view of Lake Huron, the free hot breakfast was very convenient. The Waterpark was a fun place to take my two young boys. I will definitely stay here gain!

Room Tip: A jacuzzi suite is worth the upgrade
Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I have waited to post this, giving the hotel the opportunity to replay to my original complaint. Our group selected this hotel so we booked our room without doing any research. We anticipated that the water park would be a blast for the kids. It was, but it was also "rough" and needs some updates. My children came out of the water area with skinned up knees, hips, elbows and many bruises. Back to the room I noticed the sheets were covered with hair and lint (gag!) then I noticed a fully shaped, uncrunched DORITO! Yep, it was in the bed. I then checked the other sheets and they were dirty too. I called for new sheets, at 10:00 pm. I called 3 times to check on my request as it too 45 minutes for new linens to arrive. To top it all off the drain in the shower/tub was so slow you had water around your ankles in about 2 minutes. We will NOT return, which is sad because they are fairly local and we like to support our local economy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Katie W
Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We live in Sault Ste Marie and decided to take our grandchildren to an overnight stay at an indoor water park near by for Easter. The only motel we could find that was open during the off season was the comfort suites in Mackinaw City, Mi. Even though the reviews of this motel were terrible and many people had mentioned how bad this place was - we decided to call the motel and see for sure what was going in. The desk clerk assured us that the only people that put in reviews are the few that are disappointed - all the good you never hear about . So, we went ahead and reserved a 200.00 a night suite - thinking we will have the best. Well, not sure if the comfort suites is a franchise or what- but, what a disappointment. The room was small - for a suite - fire alarm detector wires were hanging from the ceiling, no detector at all. Half the lamps did not work and it was dirty!!!!!! Basically we were there for the kids so headed to the watermark. The swimming pool was so dirty that when the kids threw in their diving objects to dive for - we never saw them again - not even with goggles on . Took the girls to the bathroom - no toilet paper - no comfort suite staff in the pool to tell this to. Reported this to front desk later in the day. Big sign saying no entry without armbands of the day. What a joke - many more people in play area without bands then with bands. Very dirty area - definitey not a family area - anyone who wanted in got in. Took kids back to the room - made sure they had baths to wash off all the dirty water - to very slow drains - took 45 minutes to drain the bath tub. Breakfast was OK- no complaints at all there. Now back to the waterpark - it opened at 10:00 - check out 11:00- again a mass of kids running around with no armbands and no discipline. Looked in girls bathroom - still no toilet paper and filthy. Should have used my first intuition and left, but, this is what we had come for - so off go the kids to play. Within minutes our 6 year old was going down a slide - down came a bigger child rammed him and he hit his face into the slide - split open his chin and we are on our way back to the ER in the Soo were he received stitches. Again no staff monitoring this area. We like many others will never return to this motel - we have stayed at many comfort suites and have never seen anything like this-gives Comfort Suites a very bad name which is not the case.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family