Crown Choice Inn & Suites Lakeview & Waterpark
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Otisville, MI
“Not great!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have to say that this hotel was not great. The room for the most part was nice, just needed a bit of updating. The front desk service was exceptionally great. Michelle was there every time I needed something and was more than accommodating!! The breakfast was very yucky. Our second morning we went to the pancake chef in town instead of taking advantage of their "free" breakfast. There was always a terrible smell in the hallways. The waterpark also creeped me out a bit. The water was cloudy and there many rust stains on the children's play area.

1 Thank champiner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Mississauga, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

I booked this hotel back in June as a stop-over from Toronto to Sault Ste. Marie for August. Received my confirmation number via email. A couple weeks later I discovered the rate had been reduced so I called the Toll-Free number and asked if they could honour the price. They said sure but would need to cancel the current reservation and make a new one. That was done and I asked for an email confirmation which I realized later that I never received. Following that, per all the bad reviews that seemed to be mounting up I cancelled altogether on-line. I received a cancellation confirmation via email (using the only reservation number I was ever given) and that was that. I have all emails and print-outs.
When I got back from our vacation I discovered they had charged me for the night. I called and explained everything to them. They said that I hadn't cancelled the second (lower priced) reservation. They also said that the CS rep would have cancelled my first reservation to make the 2nd. I told them that I was never given another reservation number and if indeed my 1st reservation had been cancelled how was I able to on-line? She also said that they didn't have my email address to send me the (2nd) confirmation - yet somehow they had it for the first? They just didn't want to know.
Long story short, they (Customer Service who also contacted hotel directly) said it would take 7-10 days to investigate yet on Aug. 20th I received a format letter basically stating that it was my err and there would be no refund. I made the initial call on the 13th - so much for "investigating". This letter also stated that they hoped I would visit in the future - that made me laugh. I had also asked for their records of occupancy for the night I had booked - as it is illegal to double charge for a room. I never got that.
Once could call it an oversight, a miscommunication or mistake. I call it underhanded and very poor Customer Service and I am only too happy to spread the word. Not once did they even try to come to a compromise - I was the one who "didn't cancel".
After the letter, I called the Head Office in the States on Aug. 21 and spoke to the Executive Office. The lady I dealt with easily pulled up my file - USING MY CANCELLATION NO. - and informed me that unfortunately these hotels are franchised so in terms of a refund they could not enforce one. She did however, advise me that she would be sending me coupons for this hotel chain equalling the value of the rate I was charged. These can be used anywhere in North America. I will quarantee that they won't be used in the Mackinaw City hotel.

DIRTY AND CROOKED

1 Thank LUGGAGETAGH
Troy, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights in 3 adjoining rooms with our family for a funeral. The kids loved the little water play area- not exciting for the older kids but the 4, 5, 7 and dads all had fun :) The rooms were nothing fancy- "suite" is a bit of a misnomer. Our "suite" was a Murphy bed and a queen bed. The murphy bed had a sofa positioned under it with a coffee table in front of it (stupid). We had to move the furniture out of the room to fit the bed down. When we did lower the bed it was actually more comfortable than the standard bed so we traded with the kids:) Yeah there were dust bunnies and they had constuction going on and I had to call the front desk and ask them to tell the workers to quit smoking in the hallway (duh) but they responded immediately. Breakfast was yummy- waffles were good, coffee was good. There were muffins and bread and good eggs. I suppose if you come to the breakfast bar 10 minutes before closing they will have slim pickings and cold eggs but if you can't make it by 10 am you're out of luck. The fitness room was small but equipped. Laundry next to it, and a few arcade games. Local food very good and 2 ferries to the island within walking distance.
For the price, it was fine. I'd stay again, and I'm picky.

Room Tip: n/a. just ask if there's construction on your floor.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Grand Rapids
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

This was definitely a great place to stay in Mackinaw City! The service was great, the room were very clean a comfortable, the FREE breakfast was delicious, the location was perfect, and best of all the indoor water park was a wonderful plus to my family's stay! This hotel was very reasonably priced and my family, 5 yr old boy and 3 yr old girl, will stay here every time we visit Mackinaw City!

Room Tip: I would recommend upgrading to the 2 Bed room Suites! LOTS & LOTS of Room!!!
Woodland, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

This place was horrible, the floors were dirty , the rooms smelled of mildew. Very out dated. They barely spoke english. Glad it was only for one night. Pictures ....must of been taken years ago...this place needs fixed up!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Read the reviews believe what people say!!!!
1 Thank Heidi S
Superior, Wisconsin, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

The best thing I could say about staying here is "thank goodness it was for only one night"!!! Horrible rooms only beat by the breakfast buffet! There was no food to speak of when we went to eat. My husband opened the lid to get some scrambled eggs and two flies flew out of it! No bread , bagels or muffins to make toast. No yogurt. There was a plate with doughnut crumbs on it sitting there.The mixed fuit was just a big chunk of frozen fruit that you couldn't use. And so incredibly filthy--the floors, the tables....everyone was complaining. One couple was really upset as they were booked for 4 nights and since there is a 72 hour cancellation policy they were "stuck". The waterpark they advertise is a joke. Unless you are under 3 years old, you wouldn't even go in there. My advice--"Stay ANYWHERE else but there. The franchise shouldn't even allow them to use their name! What they write in their advertisement doesn't even resemble the reality of this place!! Stay away!!!

Room Tip: keep driving past......
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joan J
Clinton Township, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

Suite equals - 1 bedroom with 2 double beds, walkthrough bathroom/kitchenette, another bedroom with 2 double beds. The furniture looks like it was obtained from an auction; nothing matched. Very expensive to stay here and not worth the money. "Free breakfast" - empty coffee carafes, no cereal, blobs of dried waffle batter all over, NO food available.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
1 Thank Madre25