“Nice place, one thing to consider” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Shores At Mackinaw

The Shores At Mackinaw
Ranked #13 of 41 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Byron Center
“Nice place, one thing to consider”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2008

We stayed at the Shores this past summer and I felt I needed to write a review so that the "family of travelers" can have an idea what the Shores offers. First, if you book make sure if you want a view of the water that you ask to have a view of the lake and not just a peek out a window if you look in the right direction. The condo was very clean and had EVERYTHING that you need as far as utensils and cookware. Deco was of your basic furniture and art you see typically in rentals. Bedrooms were nice size and had quality linens. SO, as far as you can see the condo's are nice which leads me to the issue we had. We stayed in a upper and we have 3 kids all under 6, and the family we were with had three of thier own. As day led to night the kids were playing and not even full throttle as they typically due. At a time of 8 PM we got a knock on the door and it was the renters downstairs who were having a difficult time due to the loud banging coming from upstairs. I told her I will attempt to quiet the crowd however it was rather early and that they really were not being over the top. Well I went back upstairs and informed everyone of the complaint and our condo took on a feel of being trapped in a situation where we could not let the kids even walk around. It was terrible and a second complaint brought me to a feeling that this week long stay was going to be terrible. I called the on-site management and spoke with him regarding the situation. He had very few answers for me because the Shores were booked for the week. He did say that if the kids were not being to loud that I should enjoy my stay and try to keep the noise to a minimum. I felt better however being of a caring type I still felt bad for our downstairs neighbors. Well the next day the neighbors found out that another unit was available so they promptly moved, feeling uncomfortable when we all saw each other. So the moral is, Management made it work for both parties however what would have happened if another unit was not available? There was no way our kids were going to be in quiet mode every night at 7 PM. The condo's are built with thin floor/walls where you can hear people talking from room to room. So I feel justified inr writing this review, my goal was not to slam the The Shores, they were very friendly and did help but our stay was doomed due to the construction of the condo's and you can not fix that issue. PS - we never got a new neighbor the rest of our stay!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — construction of units
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
      Cleanliness
16 Thank kalby1969

Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)