New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Starlite Budget Inns

Starlite Budget Inns
Ranked #22 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
A TripAdvisor Member
“Good value for the money.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Place was very quiet and my husband and I slept well, even though there were children right next door, but air conditioner was old and didn't run at night. Luckily the temps were fairly mild for the two nights we stayed there, otherwise we would have been miserable. Also had a problem with the drapes. They were falling down and had to be propped up. Complained to the front desk about them, and was told they would be fixed, but it didn't happen during our stay (and I'm betting it won't get fixed this season). There were lots of cobwebs in the drapes. That said, I still would go back there in a pinch. It was a great value compared to surrounding properties.

• 3 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

for 49 dollars a night, this place was awesome! VERY clean, VERY friendly, and just all around great value, HIGHLY recommend! we are very happy with it here, a little outside of town, but a short drive to the beach.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank caroljoyj
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

We booked this motel because we had coupons for the casino, however when we checked in and mentioned the casino coupons, we were told they had no idea what we were talking about ; although we still had the pamphlet which clearly stated we were owed $50 in vouchers. None the less we dropped the issue.
The motel was fairly close to the main strip. We took a free shuttle from the motel to the ferry and back, which worked out nicely for us.
The continental breakfast was quite poor. We woke up early to eat, but even so found there was very little food left. All the juice was gone, as well as peanut butter and cream cheese; we were left with few options.
The rooms were quite dated but fairly clean. The staff was very friendly and accommodating.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Hockey_Princezz

Travelers are raving about these Mackinaw City hotels

Waterford, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Great value. We stayed two nights. I would stay here again and recommend it to others. It was clean and quiet. Close to many things. We mostly walked to where we wanted to go. Only a few steps from your car to your room for very easy and convenient unloading and loading. Bonnie was very helpful and receptive. Nice breakfast. My kids and I enjoyed our stay.

1 Thank family v
Leavenworth, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

We planned to stay in Traverse City and take the scenic route to Mackinaw City the next day, but when we went to book reservations in Traverse City, the lowest rate we were quoted was $135 with others rapidly going over $200! Before accepting those prices we decided to check the rates here in Mackinaw City. Since it is obviously a tourist town, we expected the rates to be similarly high. We were pleased to find that rates in general, were significantly lower and in fact had put a hold on a room at the Americas Best Value which is next door to the Starlite, but the Starlite sign said "Guranteed lowest rates" so I had to check it out!

Not only were the rates lower at the Starlite, but the room was bigger, cleaner and nicer than next door. So instead of spending one night as we had originally planned, we spent two and were very pleased. True, the refrigerator and air conditioner were not on when we got to the room, but saving energy on appliances that aren't being used anyway is not offensive to me. We turned them on and by the time we returned from dinner everything was fine.

Finally, I'd like to say that Bonnie, the hostess, was very pleasant, outgoing and helpful. Our experience at the Starlite may well have been the most pleasant surprise of our trip. We would definately recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sandra O
howell, mi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

This was awful. I lost money. I didn't even end up staying in the room over night. I couldn't even stand in the room for long it smelled so bad. Pool was freezing cold. Not close to anything so you had to drive to everything! The place is done for, needs to be bull dozed down. I found places newer on the water for not that much more money. What a shame. I thought it couldn't be that bad here for the money and it was. She couuldn't even give me all my money back for the second night that I cancelled immmediately when I knew I couldn't stay there. So I paid for one full night that I did not stay and part of another night I did not stay.

Detroit
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stayed here because it was cheap but buyer beware I guess you get what you pay for--the fridge was hot when we arrived (not even ON!) The air conditioner was not on (so the room was stifling hot) and the main lamp to the room didn't work. When I tried to call the office this is when I discovered the phone didn't work either. I called from my cell and got an "answering service" that promised to "wake up" the front desk help. Wow. She had the nerve to complain that I woke her up with these issues. I hoped for a replacement room but she said this is how it is. The fridge didn't get cold until the morning when it was time to leave. The air conditioner blew room temp air. I couldn't WAIT to get out of there. The only real perk was the half-way decent breakfast. Will never stay here again.

Room Tip: I noticed that some rooms had a door wall (glass sliding door). I don't know what that was all a...