“Just The Best”

Hamilton Inn Select - Beachfront
Ranked #26 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
“Just The Best”
Reviewed July 26, 2005

Recently I stayed at the Hamilton Inn and it was the best. The hotel staff was so polite and willing to do anything. The room was so clean with a great view of the bay. It was great every day I had clean towels. The hotel also offers free internet access and it was wireless. Another great thing is the hotel is just a few blocks away from the Crossings( the downtown shopping center) that had stores and some really great restaurants. There was a ferry dock right next to the hotel that made for easy access to Mackinac Island. In the morning you did not have to go anywhere to eat breakfast. The Hamilton Inn has a FREE hot breakfast buffet with eggs, wafles, biscuits and gravey, and lost more. I will be staying at the Hamilton Inn every time I visit Mackinaw City.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Metro Detroit
Reviewed July 24, 2005

Overall a decent place to spend the weekend. The breakfast was not worth what they said it is...more like 10 feet long. More so institutional looking. Our room was near the end near the STARLINE docks..so every morning you could hear the boat horns. The beach was kind of small and the pool and hot tub were a lil murky but overall still relaxing for a bit. Would I stay here again? yes. The beds (tempurpedic) are hard ..and you have to give them a chance. first nite my back killed but saturday slept with no problem. Some rooms do not have these beds.

1 Thank nucleuscracker
Reviewed July 21, 2005

A lot of these reviews sound like the place is the Ritz, but to me it was a basic hotel. Yes it's on the beach and yes they had a breakfast, but it was dry, basic and nothing special. I paid $80 so it's not bad for $80 but I'm not jumping for joy.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
Reviewed July 20, 2005

I recently stayed at the hamilton Inn. I tell Yo the truth the prices are very high and the service is just OK. The beach is well maintained. i shoudl have stayed on the Island. The pool area was very dirty. There was sand and debris on the bottem of the pool. I was also very hot in there. The overall customer was lousy. I had a question about a refund and the manager never called me back. The breakfas buffet was just OK. Don't be fooled. You pay over $150 a night, so in escence you are not getting a free breakfast but they make You feel that it is at no extra charge. I would not stay at this hotel again. There are a lot of other hotels out there (Grand Hotel) on the Island. Marriott Prices but Red Roof Inn service. Think twice before Your book Your room at The Hamilton Inn.

Travelers are raving about these Mackinaw City hotels

Illinois
Reviewed July 18, 2005

Hamilton Inn is definately overrated. The reviews make the inn sound amazing when it really is just a standard 2-3 star inn. The hotel was clean and there actually is wireless internet, but the breakfast was disgusting and the service was just okay. My room key had to be replaced twice because it didn't work and the staff there were pleasant if you said "hello" to them first. The location is good and the beach is nice. The pool was and felt dirty and the hot tub barely worked. I was really looking forward to swimming too but I just couldn't stay in it. I wouldn't have mind paying $100 or so a night but I actually paid over $150 a night. Definately not worth it.

I probably will try a different place next time (if there is one).

Reviewed July 14, 2005

Okay, now that I've gotten that insult out of the way, I must admit that I DO love going to Mackinac Island. Unfortunately the hotels there are vastly overpriced - and believe me, as a world traveler, I do not mind paying good money for a fine hotel.

As for Hamilton, these 5 star reviews must be written by folks who do not generally stay at nice hotels. The rooms are strictly avarage, the beach is very small and has a terrible view of the municipal pier, there is NO wireless internet access in the rooms despite what management says, the breakfast buffet is ten times worse than McDonalds.... but again we're talking about Mackinaw City, so I guess this is as good as it gets.

I'm looking forward to seeing that few people find this review "helpful" - oh well, you must be living in a fantasyland where you want thinfs to be better than they really are.

• Stayed June 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Jacksonville
Reviewed July 3, 2005

For what we paid, I was very impressed with the accommodations at the Hamilton Inn. We had plenty of space and a balcony with a great view of the bay. I've stayed in scores of hotels, whether on business or pleasure, and I typically have trouble sleeping in hotels, but I have to admit this was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in in a hotel. The other great advantage of the Hamilton Inn is that two ferry lines are right next door to ride over to Mackinac Island, and almost everything there is to do in Mackinaw City is within walking distance. This is one of the few hotels left that offers more than just bagels and some cereal for breakfast, which I appreciated. However, truth be told, the food wasn't that great. Still, if we ever make it back to Mackinaw City, we won't even think twice about where to stay.

• Stayed June 2005