“Great View, less than great service”

Hamilton Inn Select Beachfront
Ranked #19 of 40 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We have stayed at this property numerous times, although this was my first in 2013. The rooms are not very clean. I had to wear my sandals in the room as my the bottom of my feet were very dirty/black and left prints in the bathtub and all I had done was walk around the hotel room. I left a very large tip for the cleaning staff and that resulted in pretty much nothing. There were several dead bugs smashed on the wall which were never cleaned. I had hoped she would see the black prints in the bathtub and clean it. Not the case. We originally booked for one night and then added a second night. This was over labor day weekend. CRAZY busy due to the Labor Day Bridge Walk but we understood that going in. The real problem occurred when they charged my debit card for essentially an extra night and tied up over $300 of my checking account funds just because I added a night all the while collecting over $600 for two nights. Wow, what a great way to reward me for adding a night. Good bye Hamilton Inn Select. I visit Mackinaw numerous times a year and you will not be getting my repeat business.

Also, the front desk staff was very difficult to understand.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I made our reservation at this hotel because we decided it seemed to have a good rating. A little more to pay than at the other hotels. The desk clerks were not the friendliest and never smiled at all. You would think that they would be cheerful. We were suppose to get discount coupons for different things in Mackinaw City but they knew nothing about them. The pool was so full of chlorine that my husband went under water and when he came up he could hardly see. Everything was blurry.
The breakfast bar was nice but very cold in the room it was in By the time we sat down to eat the food was cooled off because it was cold in there.
The beach was ok but a big step off of the deck coming out of the door down to the sand. We have been to mackinaw City many times and other places we stayed were better at cheaper prices. And over all things were better all around.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor and that is where the breakfast room is so that was a good thing.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We have stayed here many times. It is clean, a great location, and has super comfortable beds. The rooms have refrigerators which is always a plus. We like to face the lake. It is nice if you are on the second and third floors to open the door wall and listen to the waves during the night. the beach is a nice sandy beach. It isn't always warm enough to swim in Lake Huron, but you can still enjoy playing in the sand or reading a book on one of the beach chairs. There is a nice indoor pool, too. The jacuzzi rooms are nice, too. The breakfast is nice, the usual hotel buffet, but there is a lot of seating! We have been here many times and will return.

Room Tip: If you like to listen to the waves, ask for a second or third floor lake view room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at the end of June 2013. We got a call the morning we were to arrive telling us there was flood damage and they could move us to another hotel or put us in a suite instead of a lakefront room. We were a little disappointed in no lakefront view but our suite was very nice. The beach is right there and you can also use the small waterpark at the hotel across the street. The hotel is in walking distant of all the restaurants and shops and right next to the StarLine ferry dock which made it super easy to ho to the island! You can even watch the ferry boats come in from the beach which my daughter liked. They have a large complimentary breakfast which was also nice to grab before heading to the island. The price was great and we would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed September 2, 2013

The hotel is rated #1 on most sites when you check it out. It is one of the older hotels in the area and the beachfront is nothing to write home about. The access to the beach is limited to the few 1st floor rooms which do not have a railing at the double door. If you have to reach the beach from the "hidden" doors, make sure you have assistance as the concrete pad has no steps or rails as you step down to the beach area. The breakfast area is also "hidden" and has one menu; out of a box or can !!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else !!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank PatHBlanchard
Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Looked at our room. Room was dark , old, and well used. It was very outdated. Although the room appeared to be clean it clearly needed to be renovated. First floor reaked of bad b.o.

I knew I had to stay the first night , but I tried to cancel the following 2 nights. I told the front desk I was unhappy with the room and wanted to cancel the remaining 2 nights. At this time the desk became very stern with their rules. They told me the only night I could cancel was the last night of stay. I told her I was unhappy this did not matter to them. At this point I was getting angry and the front desk lady said she was ready to argue with me all day long. I did cancel the last night of stay immediately. I sucked it up and went to our room.
When it was time to check out. I found out the front desk did not cancel the last night of my stay. I was starting to wonder if the lady did this on purpose. I was told the manager would be in at 7am. After explaining to the manager everything in detail along with the name of the front desk lady, she allowed me to leave and didn't charge last night of stay on the bill.
Finally, my whole stay here left me feeling like a prisoner. We will never stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank farmer666
Reviewed August 30, 2013

This was our second time staying at the Hamilton Inn, so obviously we were not disappointed on our first visit. With that said there will not be a 3rd stay for our family. This time we felt like we were an imposition to the front desk (like the other guest checking in at the time). After settling into our room my daughter discovered food left in the fridge from the previous guest and the room's cleanliness was not up to expectations. This time we found the breakfast to be mediocre.
I will leave this review on a positive note, the location is ideal; next to the ferry, along a great beach and within walking distance to downtown. Enjoy your time in Mackinaw!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family