“Good Place”

Ranked #20 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Shelby Township, Michigan
“Good Place”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at the end of June 2013. We got a call the morning we were to arrive telling us there was flood damage and they could move us to another hotel or put us in a suite instead of a lakefront room. We were a little disappointed in no lakefront view but our suite was very nice. The beach is right there and you can also use the small waterpark at the hotel across the street. The hotel is in walking distant of all the restaurants and shops and right next to the StarLine ferry dock which made it super easy to ho to the island! You can even watch the ferry boats come in from the beach which my daughter liked. They have a large complimentary breakfast which was also nice to grab before heading to the island. The price was great and we would stay again.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Flatwoods, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed September 2, 2013

The hotel is rated #1 on most sites when you check it out. It is one of the older hotels in the area and the beachfront is nothing to write home about. The access to the beach is limited to the few 1st floor rooms which do not have a railing at the double door. If you have to reach the beach from the "hidden" doors, make sure you have assistance as the concrete pad has no steps or rails as you step down to the beach area. The breakfast area is also "hidden" and has one menu; out of a box or can !!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else !!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank PatHBlanchard
Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Looked at our room. Room was dark , old, and well used. It was very outdated. Although the room appeared to be clean it clearly needed to be renovated. First floor reaked of bad b.o.

I knew I had to stay the first night , but I tried to cancel the following 2 nights. I told the front desk I was unhappy with the room and wanted to cancel the remaining 2 nights. At this time the desk became very stern with their rules. They told me the only night I could cancel was the last night of stay. I told her I was unhappy this did not matter to them. At this point I was getting angry and the front desk lady said she was ready to argue with me all day long. I did cancel the last night of stay immediately. I sucked it up and went to our room.
When it was time to check out. I found out the front desk did not cancel the last night of my stay. I was starting to wonder if the lady did this on purpose. I was told the manager would be in at 7am. After explaining to the manager everything in detail along with the name of the front desk lady, she allowed me to leave and didn't charge last night of stay on the bill.
Finally, my whole stay here left me feeling like a prisoner. We will never stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank farmer666

Travelers are raving about these Mackinaw City hotels

Ontario's Near North, Canada
Reviewed August 30, 2013

This was our second time staying at the Hamilton Inn, so obviously we were not disappointed on our first visit. With that said there will not be a 3rd stay for our family. This time we felt like we were an imposition to the front desk (like the other guest checking in at the time). After settling into our room my daughter discovered food left in the fridge from the previous guest and the room's cleanliness was not up to expectations. This time we found the breakfast to be mediocre.
I will leave this review on a positive note, the location is ideal; next to the ferry, along a great beach and within walking distance to downtown. Enjoy your time in Mackinaw!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Flat Rock, Michigan
Reviewed August 29, 2013

This is our second time staying at the Hamilton Inn Select. The first time was wonderful but that was nearly 4 years ago. It would seem that age is catching up with the hotel. Unlike most reviews, we did find the hotel staff to be very friendly and helpful however. We were even upgraded to a king Jacuzzi room for free. The room had a strong mildew odor. The Jacuzzi tub was filthy and we refused to use it. We went down to the pool area, and both the hot tub and pool were filthy so we passed that up too. Our bed was quite uncomfortable. It was like some sort of lumpy memory form mattress. The breakfast buffet was only ok. The promised Pancakes were no where to be found since the pancake maker was broken. We did love our view of Lake Huron and enjoyed the beautiful beach. I am sure the hotel could be nice again with some renovations to the rooms.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank funplacesngoodfood
Saginaw
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

This was our 2nd year staying at the Hamilton Inn Select in Mackinaw City. We love the beach front view rooms!
Front Desk Staff *****

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank dursnece
Midland, Michigan
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husband and I usually go to Mackinaw City (one of our favorite weekend holidays) one - three times a year. We used to stay here from the mid-1990's until around 2002. The staff's behavior was just as listed in several other reviews - from cool to downright rude. The hotel was fairly new then, and was quite nice. The quality began to decline, so we began to stay elsewhere on our visits. This past weekend (Aug. 23 - 25) we stayed at the Hamilton again, as there were very few options available (a busy weekend in Mackinaw City). Here are my findings:
1. cleanliness - I am a clean freak. The bathroom and main room were very clean.
2. condition - the carpet had been replaced since our last visit, as had the bedspreads. They removed the wallpaper border, but left the old wallpaper. The glue was coming thru the seams and the paper was torn in some spots.
3. MUSTY ODOR - there was a strong musty/mildewy smell permeating the room, despite the strong use of the air conditioning and the room probably getting nightly use for several months.
4. Strong smell in the hallways and lobby. My husband thought it smelled of feces. I wasn't sure, but it wasn't a pleasant smell.
5. beds - the beds were the solid foam type that is very comfortable.
So, lots of pros and cons. We won't stay here again unless there's no other option.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family