“Stayed here because our first choice didn't open on time”

Hamilton Inn Select - Beachfront
Ranked #28 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Fremont, Michigan
“Stayed here because our first choice didn't open on time”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

My husband and I were moved to this hotel when the Super 8 we had made reservations for didn't open in time to make our reservations. I was very skeptical because I hadn't researched it and we were moved unexpectedly. However, when we got here we had a beautiful view of Lake Michigan from the balcony of our room. The beds were very comfortable and the room was clean and neatly decorated. They have a huge breakfast buffet and the staff is incredibly friendly. It's a great place to stay and next door to the Star Line boats to the Island!

Room Tip: Balcony rooms add a great view!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ruby C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Ishpeming, Michigan
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed here with my husband and 2 young kids as a place to sleep on a long road trip (we arrived at 8:30 at night and left at 9:30 the following morning). For this short stay, and the great off-season rate we received, it was great and I would return.
Pros: Great offseason rate, friendly staff, pool open late (great to tire out the kids before bed after riding in the car for a long time), nice breakfast are with decent food (but bad coffee).
Cons: Hotel could use a "refresh" (carpeting and paint seems worn, pain in pool is chipping), our room wasn't extremely clean (my 15month daughter found a hair tie covered with hair next to the phone, and also random stickers in the room, there was melted ice cream in the refrigerator).

For the rate and location, I was happy with this hotel and would stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
minnesota
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I stayed for one night and it was very nice. The lobby was beautiful, the room was nice, and the continental breakfast was decent. I did have a hard time sleeping because of loud people walking in the halls, so the walls are thin. It was very inexpensive, yet a very good quality.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed April 23, 2013

This review is long overdue but it's worth posting (I said I stayed in November 2012 but it was actually November 2011)

A friend and I were travelling from Ontario, Canada to Green Bay, Wisconsin and decided to head north and drive around the peninsula rather than on I-94 through Indiana and Chicago. We stopped in Mackinaw City for the night on November 18th 2011. As many others have stated, the town is fairly deserted in the winter months and we found it to be no different. This hotel was one of the few that were open in town. We were met at the front desk by a friendly worker who promptly checked us in at a great rate. The only complaint I had was that the room we were given was in the farthest wing of the hotel, on the 3rd floor. I guess the heating was off because the hallways were cold, but I can understand that since there were probably no guests in our area of the hotel. We put the heater on in the room and went out for dinner, and upon returning the room was up to temperature. The bathroom was clean and the shower was fine.

I would recommend this to anyone who travels through the area in their offseason if you're looking for reasonable and clean lodging for the night. I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Constantine, Michigan
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Staff was friendly. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Excellent location. Breakfast was good but not great, the quality of food was fine it was just chaotic and forget trying to get to the waffle maker without a fight! The beds were a bit hard. Pool was very nice. Housekeeping was very good and very friendly. Overall this was a great place and great value. Two room suit, exceptional value!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Midland, Michigan, United States
Reviewed April 8, 2013

if you want a very clean, spacious, quiet, above average room, this is a great place. The room was really clean - no dust in the corners or stuff on the carpet, the price was comparable to neighboring motels, the sheets were crisp and clean and the beds had lots of pillows and the comforters were like new. The room heat is temperature controlled and quiet (by comparison to others). The staff was very friendly and helpful. They offer a morning breakfast buffet with a variety of choices from hot breakfast (eggs, sausage, biscuits & gravy not recommended) to cold cereal and fruit. I would stay there again because the staff was very friendly and the room was very comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank James B
Shell Lake, WI
Reviewed April 4, 2013

First let me say that I am not someone who goes for extravagant. On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being someone who sleeps in their car, and 5 being someone who dresses for dinner, I am about a 3. When I travel, I sleep in motels, my slide in pick-up camper, and HAVE slept in the truck on occasion. To me a motel is where you sleep, not where you spend your vacation. I don't have kids, so I don't care about indoor water parks etc. I want a clean, comfortable room, with a tv and clean sheets, not-noisey and in the proximity of what I'm doing. That being said, I give this motel a 5 star. If you are looking for the very eligant, room service, and family entertainment - this rating is not for you. But if you want a very clean, spacious, quiet, above average room that blends in with the "flavor" of historic Mackinaw, this is a great place. The room was really clean - no dust in the corners or stuff on the carpet, the price was comparable to neighboring motels, the sheets were crisp and clean and the beds had lots of pillows and the comforters were like new. The room heat is temperature controlled and quiet (by comparison to others). The staff was very friendly and helpful. They offer a morning breakfast buffet that rivals what I have seen offered before, There is a variety of choices from hot breakfast (eggs, sausage, biscuits & gravey) to cold cereal and fruit. The buffet attendant is awesome. She regulary checks the food and keeps the area tidied up. I would definately stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo