“Arrived and Motel WAS CLOSED!!!! Oct 4, 2006”

Fairview Beachfront Inn & Waterpark
Ranked #33 of 40 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Reviewed October 12, 2006

I called and made reservations for the Aqua Grand Inn & Waterpark, Mackinaw City, MI. We were staying for 3 nights and also bring along our small dog. They gave me a rate of $50.00 for each night so I booked it. The reservations were made 2 1/2 week in advance. We arrived in Mackinaw City Oct. 4th and found that the Motel was closed!! No one bother to call us, we had a small post-it note on the door telling us that they had to close and our credit card would not be charged!! Here we are in Mackinaw City with our dog and no place to stay!!! The place was empty no one around. I looked in the pool room and the pool was 3/4 of the way drained. I can not believe the way we were treated!!! Just a small post-it note telling us!!! Not a lot of places let you have dogs and we had to pay A LOT MORE for a room in Mackinaw. If it opens back up beware it could happen again and with no notice!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LaciJ

Reviewed August 23, 2006

First of all, despite their claims that this hotel was built in 1999, the motel room we were assigned was straight out of 1965 and hadn't been cleaned or kept up since then! The room was dirty, with mold in the bathroom, stains on the carpet and rips in the window screens. Perhaps the rooms in the larger building are more like the pictures from the website, but we were VERY disappointed. Secondly, the breakfast room was a small area with 3 plastic tables and 12 chairs for a hotel full of people. If you eat at a prime breakfast hour, then you have to stand. Thirdly, the splash park has limited hours which do not allow for your children to play on the morning of your departure. They are open from 3PM to 10PM only and the pool is in a separate building from the splash park, so children with different interests cannot both be satisfied.

I would not recommend a stay at this property. There are many other places to choose from in Mackinaw City that look like they would be well worth the money.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Nancy D
Reviewed July 30, 2006

We stayed one night at this hotel. I would rate it an economical 2.5 star
level hotel. The rooms are ok with exception of the carpet. It is quite
dirty though being right on the beach, it takes a lot of abuse. Check in
is from 3pm-11pm. It was fast with no problems. There are rooms facing the
parking lot and the lake. Obviously you pay more for the lake view. There
is a large beach area with a volley ball net. However, the lake shore area
itself is quite narrow and small. There are some chairs there for about 20
people. The lake bottom is 'mushy' feeling and you need to wade out a good
100 yards before you are up to chest level water. And the lake water is
always brisk anytime of the year. The waterpark is only good for young
kids, less then 8-9 range. The jacuzzi there is quite big and nice. The
pool, which is separate from the waterpark, is ok. It also has a small
jacuzzi. The waterpark hours are 3pm-10pm. The pool hours are 10am-11pm.
There is a very basic continental breakfast. Coffee, juice, bread,
muffins, bagel, and cereal. The location of the hotel is a healthy walk
to the shopping area and restaurants but reasonable. So if your in for a
short stay, not overly picky on accommodations, want to be on the beach,
with young kids, and you can get a rate of less than $100/night, I think
this place is ok.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank bcsystems
Reviewed July 30, 2006

I can highly recommend this hotel. I got what I paid for. You can get better amenities and facilities but you'll have to pay for them. Since we don't spend a lot of time in the room the luxury amenities aren't very important. Most of the Cons are minor so take that into account.

Pros.
1.) The staff was friendly.
2.) Room was clean. I had a second floor lake view room (Room 306).
3.) Rates were very competitive.
4.) Nice Pool & Water park. Pool was a little small but since we went late in the evening that wasn't much of a problem.

Cons.
1.) Screen in door was broken.
2.) Breakfast area is too small. (I only got coffee so not a big deal)
3.) Beach area is broken into two parts, separated by a strip of vegetation.
4.) TV had poor reception on several channels (Since we brought our kid's Playstation not a big problem.)
5.) No microwave in room.
6.) Only one ice machine.
7.) Charged $1 per day for local phone calls.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2006

The rooms were not even close to the cleanliness standards I would expect for $200 a night. The carpets were all stained and the entire hotel gave me the impression that nobody cared it was being run down and deteriorating. I cannot enjoy a vacation when I have to return or wake up to a room I don't feel is clean, where there is mold on a shower curtain, where paint is chipping, and it just plain does not feel clean. The only enjoyable thing was to be able to walk out to the beach front but even the walk on the sand to that again showed me nobody is keeping up the place. There were wrappers and cigarette butts all over. All I could think was this is such a waste. This beautiful ocean front property with a rundown piece of property on it. For those of you who truly need clean rooms do not go here.

• Stayed: July 2006
4  Thank 233Traveler
Reviewed June 7, 2006

I was traveling with my wife and two kids. We checked in on Wednesday night and just had a basic room reserved. When we checked in the Desk Clerk asked if we would be more comfortable in a two room suite and only charged us $10 a night for the suite. We not only got an extra bedroom (and away from the kids) but the suite had a mini kitchenette with a refrig and a microwave so we were able to get food in the room and not go to restaurant saving us more than just the $10 extra bucks. The view from the balcony was wonderful as well (make sure you ask for the top floor i you like great views).

This hotel was right on the lake...we walked up and down the beack both days and even though it was chilly outside the kids loved the indoor water park while we relaxed in the huge hot tub.

I have to tell you we had a great time...the water park is so nice that people from all the hotels around this one kept trying to sneak in and use it ...it got to be pretty funny after a while. The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly and the whole place just looked and felt like brand new.

I will go back and I highly recommend this hotel to anyone with young kids...after all it is their vacation too!

Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank Im4osu
A TripAdvisor Member
farmington hills, michigan
Reviewed March 26, 2006

With summer coming to Michigan, I thought I would share some experience from my trip to northern Michigan and my weekend stay at the above hotel in Mackinaw City.From the friendly greeting upon arrival to leaving, everything was very enjoyable. Our two children especially enjoyed their time at the water park, it not only tired the kids out, but my wife and myself slept well that night.The beach was clean and the water was enjoyale for everybody. I have just finising makling reservations for this year and thought I would share my feelings with whoever was interested.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member