WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #34 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Troy, Michigan
“"Mistake"”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

The hotel is old. Usually that does not bother me, but the wallpaper was starting to come off the wall. The in-room refrigerator was noisy at night. It just didn't feel really clean, and it was weird having the sink almost butted up against one of the beds. The "water park" is really no water park (maybe for locals). Both the waterpark area and pool are in separate buildings with no indoor corridors. If it is cold outside you will be walking in a bathing suit cold and wet outdoors. There is no lobby. The beachfront is not clean (it is overgrown). We should have stayed at the Clarion right next door where it was cleaner, newer and friendlier.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Blairsville, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

My stay at the fairview was terrible, the room was dirty and cobwebs everywhere. I went to the office and because all the rooms were taken as I was told I had no choice but to stay. I had to get clean sheets because the ones on the bed were stained. I did call when I return home and the Manger Frank said he would have to speak to the owner, who's name he would not give me and I've not heard a word. Mackinaw City was very nice, but please stay at another hotel. My daughter and I clean the room that night thank god we took cleaning supplies. So they not only got maid service but I paid to do it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Mackinaw City hotels

Lansing, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

My family vacations annually to Mackinaw City for a 2 night "weekend away." Because our time together is precious, the last thing I want to worry about is spending $ for travel and lodging only to end up in a dirty room with a rude staff to ruin our time together. After doing extensive online research of the "Bridge Vista" hotel, I called them to make reservations. They were full but recommended the Fairview. I foolishly took their advice and booked a weekend at the Fairview. After doing so, I discovered MULTIPLE poor reviews from MULTIPLE web sights for the Fairview. These reviews called the Fairview "musty", "dirty", "rude", etc. I called "Wesley" at the Fairview to cancel my reservations and explained that I was disapointed with the reviews and wished to cancel my reservation. He than informed me of their 72 hour cancellation policy (which seems crazy.....really, 72 hours?) and would not refund me for 1 of the 2 nights. I asked to speak with the manager. He informed me that the manager wasn't there (at 2:30 in the afternoon) and said "he is gonna tell you the same thing anyway!" I hung up with Wesley and called the Bridge vista back. They were extremely professional, appoligized for the Fairview, offered me a room for 2 nights, spoke with the Fairview manager (remember, the guy who wasn't there) and had the Fairview refund my money. To summarize, FAIRVIEW = SHADY! By the way, we have stayed at the Super 8 bridgeview.....nice and clean, We have also stayed at the Hamilton several times. Very nice and clean. Again, FAIRVIEW = SHADY!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Kalamazoo, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

Our room was exceptionally clean, large, with a wonderful balcony view. It was convenient to Mackinaw City, had a large beach, and huge breakfast buffet shared with the hotel next door. We were lucky enough to visit at a time where the rates were lower due to being off-season, and there were not a lot of guests at this time. Everything was great. We would definitely stay there again, and wished that we had stayed here instead of at another hotel across the bridge where we paid 3 times as much and had a bad experience. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area. It looks as if the main building had been renovated in recent years.

Room Tip: We had a beach view room on the 2nd floor. The ground level rooms are right on the beach, however y...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Osseo, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

We took our 12 year-old grandaughter and her friend to Mackinaw for two days. Because we could not get the same suite at the other hotel for two consecutive nights, we booked our last night here. I was promised a top floor suite, but when we arrived (after a day in the Island) we were put in a lower suite. When I asked about this, I was told "We don't guarantee floors." A "bait and switch" -- pure and simple.

The people above us had kids who liked to run across the floors. I bought earl plugs and Sominex and eventually managed to get to sleep. When I complained about this to the desk clerk the next morning (without losing my temper!) I was told "Sorry!: and handed my receipt.

I have since learned that this hotel IS NOT a member of the Chamber of Commerce, and they have not reponded to my registered letter. I have contacted my state senator, but I am unsure what, if anything, I can do without litigation.

AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bay City, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

I chose this hotel because of the water park amenities. The water park was disappointing and was not a water park at all but a spray park. It was rusty, some of the spray features were broken and the drains were backed up and slimy. Our room was disgusting. When we walked in we were hit with an overwhelming musty and lemon odor. The bathroom had mold in the shower, a rusty shower curtain rod, hair in the drain and a missing piece of paneling on the door. My overall experience was horrible. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed 2 nights each night getting worse it started with horrible front desk service we went to our room it looked like we went back into the 1960's the beds were old and hard with only a couple pillows per bead and were not made properly the room had a foul Oder and the floor had visible dirt on it the showers were dirty and on the second day the shower actually backed up with sewage an was unusable to us an the smell was awful the water park had was half broken and when we went to use the hot tub it had a horrible smell that was left on Our clothes and Brown bubbles there is some of it there was more but to wrap it up never stay here no matter the savings

• Stayed August 2012