“decent stay”

Ranked #30 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Chicago, Illinois
“decent stay”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

was a decent stay we had a beachfront room that was nice,clean,and relaxing . however we did miss the microwave (none in our room) the shuddle to the ferry boats was a plus for us the pool (indoor only) was ok clean but the hot tub was out of order we did not have any use for the water park but seemed ok when we looked at it. the hot breakfast was good but held next door so a little walk is needed.

Room Tip: no elevators in the beach front we were on the 5th floor so be perpaired to climb stairs.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

Office personel not in uniform or wearing name tag; not helpful. Musty smelling room, but clean. Poor lighting. Two outlets in the room were non-functional (one without a face plate, the other with an obvious short) One working outlet was an octopus with a six-way splitter on it to supply four devices. Bugs were crawling in the room from patio door, which was closed. Have never felt so dirty sleeping in such a slum. Ask for room 201, and experience it for yourself.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joel F

Travelers are raving about these Mackinaw City hotels

Reviewed July 30, 2012

No sandy beach, swamp like conditions at the waterfront. Disgusting rooms. Found an open bag of Doritos and other food left overs under our beds. Balcony door broken. No hot breakfast. Bumped from Super 8 that was close to town, had wifi and offered breakfast. Rude help at Fairview from manager. Was prompted for review from Mackinac Chamber of hotels and provided them this info. Big surprise (sarcasm) no response after. Shameful

• Stayed July 2012
Southgate, Michigan
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Stayed 2 nights with my family, and the rate is what attracted us. 2 nights in Mackinaw City during peak season for under $200 with breakfast included is great. Parts of the property could be considered dated, and some could use some TLC, but I also considered the rate. I tend to be rather picky, and there wasn't anything that I couldn't overlook. The beach was phenomenal. The location was also a plus, we were away from all the hustle and bustle of downtown but could ride our bikes to the ferry to the island. If you're looking to stay at the Ritz pay for it and stay elsewhere, if you're looking for a decent, quiet hotel with good amenities at a great rate stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second level, the first floor is partially underground and it's not walk-o...
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We stayed at this hotel unfortunately for 3 days. The room was dirty and had not been updated for years the way it looked. I wrote "Wash Me" on the mirror and it stayed there for the 3 days we were stuck! There was mold around the tub and sink and they both had no drain plugs in them (if you would of dropped something like a ring or anything small it would of went down the drain with no return). The bedspreads were old and outdated so we threw those on the floor first thing and the blankets were the spongey kind. One of the beds had a big round circle ripped out of the spongey blanket and was missing. The air conditioning rattled and shook all day and night. It was absoultely aweful. There was several cherrios under the bed that must of been from who knows who and was never vacumned. When we checked out, they never asked us how was our stay, how was the room or nothing.. that should throw up a RED flag right there! My husband and I made a pack that we will not stay in another hotel that is not a well known chain we have been burnt too many times. Stay clear from this place!

Room Tip: Go to a well know chain and check your room before you pay.
2 Thank Nancy D
New London, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 22, 2012

First of all, I booked 2 nights of stay at an alternative motel (Days Inn) through the Mackinaw City Tourism and Chamber of Commerce website. When I arrived at the motel at check in time, they don't have my reservations, tell me the computer was "froze" and couldn't get into reservations, gets on the phone and starts calling local motels for 2 night openings (Thurs. and Friday) before completely communicating with me about this. I had a booking number from the room reservation, but they said it wasn't confirmed. So she finds me a place a little ways down the road at the Fairview, tells them to charge me what I was going to pay them.

I get to the Fairview and see it's a dive of a place. The front sign says they have the lowest rates. I ask if they are cheaper than Days Inn, they ackowledge that, but still charge me Days Inn rates. They give me a room on the 3rd. floor, balcony, lakeview, 2 queens, just what I had reserved. They have no elevator. We haul up luggage and gear for 2 adults and a 2 yr. old 3 flights of stairs. The stairwell is so dirty, carpet is torn and ragged, the walls haven't been power washed in years. There are dead bugs and spiders, spider webs and bird poop all over the walls. I wanted to turn around and run right there, but they had me in a bad place and no refund. The handle breaks on my suitcase because I couldn't lift it up the entire 3 floors to carry it...I want to cry.
We get to the room, open the room and it only gets worse. The out-dated carpet is sticky on our feet, The beds are low, very hard and squeeky. The bathroom sink drains slower than molasses. The dead bolt on the balcony door only unlatched if you lifted the door. The balcony had a concrete floor of which one side was covered with green wet slime from the a/c condensation. The siding was covered with dead bugs, bird poop and full of spider webs and spiders. The seat on one of the plastic chairs was cracked and they were so soiled we had to spray them down with Lysol and room towels first. Huge spiders were dropping down over our heads. The 2 yr. old was hanging on the PVC railing of which we found had several loose railings that were cracked and we envisioned her falling over 3 floors to her death. Needless to say, we couldn't enjoy the view from the balcony. The beach was very unkept and rugged. Had no chairs or recliners on the beach like the surrounding motels. We saw people get the Clarion's recliner chairs and use them.
I left housekeeping a note to clean the balcony, along with a tip, the next day. They took the tip, but didn't take the advise to clean. My daughter said they didn't speak english, so they probably couldn't read it either.

Hotel Impossible needs to visit this place!! I'm surprised it didn't have bed bugs!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
Greencastle
Reviewed July 20, 2012

The A/C was not sufficient to cool the room, it was comprised of two old window units mounted into holes cut into the walls. The toilette didn't work and I had to constantly adjust the float, while doing this I found mold growing all over the wall behind the tank. The shower went from ice cold water to dangerous scalding hot water over and over again without warning. I originally planned on staying 3 nights but left after one. They still charged me for the second night and the guy at the desk told me he would rent it out again if he could even though he was charging me regardless of all these problems.

Room Tip: The best room to choose would not be at this hotel.
1 Thank frd845