“Only getting an average review because of one employee”

Shepler's Mackinac Island Ferry
Book In Advance
More Info
$15.00*
and up
Lumberjack Show Tickets
More attraction details
Owner description: Shepler's offers 5 different Lighthouse Cruises through the Straits of Mackinac. Each cruise is narrated by the Great Lakes Lighthouse Keepers Association. A portion of the proceeds from each cruise go to help with upkeep and restoration of area lighthouses. See the full schedule and buy tickets online.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Let me first say that this company did two things great. First, they gave us a military discount which was great because spouse just spent 8 months serving across the pond. Second, they got us safely to the island. That's where it ends.

Their young employee whose name starts with a K, left a terrible impression with us, leaving a terrible view of the company. Maybe it's a training issue, if not, then someone needs to share with this young man, proper customer service. We were staying overnight on the island, so our car was directed to a specific area for off loading. Immediately, employees were there to try and help us, (which can be a good thing) but we needed more time to figure out what we were going to take over to the island with us. We felt rushed and by the second attempt to get our bags, we just asked for more time. In all this rushing, I actually forgot to bring our son's breakfast food. (He has gluten and dairy allergies). When we finally decided what we were bringing, the young man says "How many nights are you staying?" When we told him he responded, "And you are bringing this many bags?" I began to justify it with him, which I shouldn't have done. This really made me angry and I had to hold back my wrath. This young man has no idea how stressful my life is with a special needs child. I have to bring things to comfort my child, things to give him routine, special foods and a bag full of his vitamin supplements. Just attempting to take some time off away from home is hard and here was someone questioning what I am bringing. The next thing he sees is that our (rental) car has plates from Kentucky. "You aren't really from Kentucky are you?" Now, I get the jokes as much as the next person, but you just ticked me off with your comments about the amount of stuff I need to bring. Really kid, what if I really had been from Kentucky? When he found out where we were from, then the jokes started about that state. So, let me get this straight, only people from Michigan are superior? Hmmm, interesting that you represent this company. Based off of his interaction with us, we decided to take our bags with us and not let them handle them. I wasn't about to let him get some tip money for helping us.

There is another company in the area who does take you to the island. Might be worth checking out.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,070)
All reviews
in 30 reviews
"on line"
in 35 reviews

Reviewed October 11, 2012

We loved going over to Mackinac Island on the ferry. It was the highlight of our trip. We biked all around the island and it was wonderful.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

I didn't quite understand how a ferry service could be Excellent until I went on Shepler's. Everyone was positive, willing to go the extra mile and cheery/friendly on a cold miserable day. I accidentally left my umbrella in the back seat of the car which had been taken to a secure lot by valet. No problem -- a quick radio call and the umbrella was on its way back in a few minutes -- Outstanding and all with a smile.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

It was 40 degrees, 25-35 mph winds, and 4-6 foot waves the day we went to Mackinac Island. It made for an awesome ride. Very roller coaster like. :-) I felt perfectly safe throughout. And my motel gave me a $3 off coupon. Nice.