“Be sure you know what you are booking”
Review of Cabins of Mackinaw

Cabins of Mackinaw
Hillsdale, Michigan
“Be sure you know what you are booking”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We booked a cabin based on such catch phrases as "built in 2010" and promises of a sitting area in each cabin Upon arrival, we discovered that in fact only a handful of the cabins were built in 2010, and that ours was likely built closer to 1910 than 2010. Though clean, there was barely room to move around the bed. No microwave, no porch, and our "beautiful view of Lake Huron" was the back side of the cabins pictured on the website. Conversation with inattentive office staff indicated that the pictures I saw had been of the log cabins, not what I had reserved, and that no, I could not cancel the reservation for the first night. (Nowhere on the website were there pictures of what I had rented) I would never recommend this facility to anyone. And I forgot to mention the skunk that wandered in as we were checking out, an appropriate last memory of "Cabins of Mackinaw."

Room Tip: Find a different motel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank cliff b

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We booked this hotel one month ahead and got confirmation letter. When we arrived, there is no cabin for us. The explanation is "we didn't charge your credit card". The manager was rude, but stuff called and send us to "beach and bay Inn &suites" which turns out to be a good stay.

I regret didn't read reviews first, but feel lucky of not staying in this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Alex Z

Travelers are raving about these Mackinaw City hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 1, 2013

When I arrived the sheets were stained with bodily fluids. Cabin was filthy. Was able to get new sheets fairly easy. No hot water for most part of 2 days.
When I went to manager Michael Nau to ask for a discount ,he had just finished putting an elderly lady in tears for complaining about her cabin and asking to cancel any further nights. When I asked him not to talk to elderly ladys like that he told me I could leave.
Saw multiple people at desk with a varitey of problems.
This place hides under a false name and no one has to answer for the problems including choice Hotels even though the sign says Econolodge. Maybe they should take down their sign if they dont want to hear the complaints. Cabins of Mackinaw and econolodge also share same address.

6 Thank Mikedunther
Buchanan, Michigan
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stay in one of the three room, loft cabins that are pictured on the website. My family and I could not have been happier. The location was wonderful, we were close to everything. It was wonderful to walk across the road and get on the ferry to the island and even better after a long day on the island to just walk back across the road and relax. The indoor water parks that we had access to were clean and a lot of fun. The cabin was cleaned every day, which we loved! It was heated and cooled as needed. We very much enjoyed the fact that we all had our own space to relax and sleep. The breakfasts were great, nothing super fancy, but just what we needed. The staff was very helpful with even little request and questions. I read the other reviews here and can't figure out where those people stayed, because the cabin where we stayed was excellent! Our only disappointment was the wifi connection was very spotty. But we were on vacation and didn't need to be online a lot! We would love to stay here again!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Barb C
Brighton, Michigan
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I have been in the travel industry for over 20 years. I'm shocked, how I was treated over the phone by the front desk as well as the general manager, named Mike (with no last name-he refused to give). He even told me that I was rude for ask his last name. My reservations was originally for 2 nights, starting On Sun, 7/28. I called today 7/25 to change reservation to 1 night only for 7/28, they made the necessary change without a problem. Approximately about 5pm I called to cancel my reservation because of the reviews on Tripadvisor as well as other circumstances. I was not going to have my vacation ruined. They told me I had to cancel by 12 noon, so my credit will be charged if I cancel. I asked to speak with a manager and she gave me Mike, said he was the general manager, I asked for his last name and he refused. I told him I understood it needed to be cancel 3 days prior and no time of day specified. He said you only have til 12 noon. I asked for an exception to cancel and he wouldn't consider and just refused. I even asked to change to another property because the reservation was book through the Mackinaw City website. He said No, that is not an option. I was so shocked in how I was spoken too as well as being treated so badly. Not only was the front desk girl (who also refused to give her name) and the general manager rude, the property they work for does not know one thing about guest service. The employees set the standards for the property, which in this case as well as many other reviews have said, they are the rudest people. They refused to give me the cancellation number and said my card will be charged. Not only they will charge my card they will also resell the room. After he said that he was canceling my reservation he hung up on me. After he hung on me, I immediately called my bank, on a fraudulent charge to my card from the Cabins of Mackinaw. I then call Mackinaw City customer service for the website and filed a complaint, which I would recommend to anyone who reviewed this property, especially if you were not happy. If I were the Mackinaw City I would not want a property or a general manager we part of the city website. Mackinac City is a great vacation spot. I have stayed at several of the properties on the website with no complaint. This years vacation we wanted to try the Cabins of Mackinaw they were different then a regular hotel. But this year or any other year I will not stay at the Cabins of Mackinaw based solely on how I was treated. Guest service is the most important thing with hospitality. I know this was a long review I hope anyone who reads find it helpful. I cannot say how the property is because I have not stayed. Tripadvisor is a great tool for the travel industry.

9 Thank Lynn W
macon
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Gerri from Georgia---If there were anything I could tell anyone who is thinking about staying at the Cabins of Mackinaw, it would be DON'T. Every negative thing that you have read on their reviews is true plus more. First of all, I am from the U.P. and am ashamed to say there are such rude people in a resort area. I presently live in Georgia and took a trip to Mackinaw City and Mackinaw Island with my son and his wife and children who are from Houston, Texas. My daughter in law made the reservations to this place based on the internet web site. It seemed to offer everything we needed though very expensive. We reserved a room and a cabin. The cabin cost around $275 and the room around $100. The room was o.k. Not what we would expect for $100 but after all this is a tourist town. Our big problem was the cabin. Upon checking in around 5 pm, we went straight to the water park. What a mess. This water park is not what it was advertised to be. This is strictly a kiddie water park. Most adults would have a very hard time enjoying this water park. For those of use who were watching their kids, it was not good. It was very hot and the windows would not open. Back to the cabin, there was no hot water(which made the jaccuzi tub useless), huge spider webs in the windows(that means there has to be spiders in the cabin), the hide-a-bed was broken down, there was no internet connection, the ceiling fan was covered with dust, and the cabinet door was falling off.
The breakfast buffet was a big fat lie. When we went to the buffet there was a long line of people standing in line with no food on the buffet. We took this family of 7 to a local diner for a nice breakfast. The final blow for us was the staff. I only spoke to the receptionist on the phone but I should have guessed that she had poor management when she informed me that it took her 5 minutes to answer the phone because she was in the bathroom. When the hot water was reported not working she informed me that the maintenance man and the manager would not be in until 9 am and that she would not be able to do anything. The manager, who was a very rude and abrasive man, finally came to the cabin to fix the hot water around 9:30 in the morning which was after we had all boiled water in the microwave and bathed in the sink. When we asked for a refund, he said we were not getting a refund because they don't give refunds. I have now filed a complaint with the governors office of consumer affairs and hope somebody can do something with this awful rip off. This hotel put a very bad impression of Mackinaw City area on my family and apparently has done the same for many others according to the other reviews. I don't understand why this behavior is tolerated by the chamber of commerce.

5 Thank geraldine w
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I booked a stay at this cabin and after reading the terrible reviews, cancelled 3 weeks prior to my scheduled stay via phone (they don't allow you to via email and have a 3 day cancellation policy). I received a call the night before I was supposed to check in confirming my stay. I politely told the caller I had cancelled. She told me if I didn't have my cancellation # and couldn't give it to her then I would be charged for the room. (They don't email you a cancellation # either)The caller was EXTREMELY RUDE and UNPROFESSIONAL and wouldn't even give me her name. It took me 5x of asking for her to release the managers name to actually get it.They ended up charging me the next day for my entire stay. I did speak to the manager, Mike, who did reverse the charge but overall the worst experience with a vacation to date!

1 Thank hfoster1427