“Quiet with great views & options”

Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We rented one of the cabins for 3 days & absolutely loved the location! Across from the beach with views of the freighter traffic, Mackinac Island & the bridge. Cabins were spacious, very clean & comfortable. Make sure to bring along lawn chairs! Facilities were clean & store had good selections of things you may have forgotten. Check in was very impressive with knowledgable staff & no waiting. We did arrive an hour earlier than our check in time but everything was ready & welcoming. I did our reservations on-line & they called within minutes to confirm dates & cabin style/size. Will certainly return & recommend!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank melemery

Reviewed August 6, 2012

We have stayed here twice. Most recently last week (early August, 2012). This is a massive private campground complex, within sight of the bridge, Macinac Island and within a nice bike-ride to Mackinaw City.

What this is not, is private, wilderness camping. As long as you don't come here expecting that, I think you'll find it very enjoyable. If you camp at large campgrounds, with a mix of RVs, tents, cabins and people, this place fits the bill.

It's incredibly family-focused (not just family-friendly).

The camp store is well stocked. The pool, bathrooms and showers are impeccably clean.

We have only ever rented cabins, so this review is about two cabins we rented in August 2012.

Check In Process - Very efficient. It's a huge campground, so they need to service an awful lot of cars/RVs/trailers coming into the campground and they did a masterful job at a busy time of day. Very impressive.

Truth in Advertising - We had a lake view cabin for our first stay. It was great! Very private, view of Bois Blanc Island from the picnic table. If we walked out on a little spit of land, we could see Mackinac Island and the Bridge. Lots of cedar trees shielding the cabin from heat and from neighboring cabins. I think we paid a fair rate for the cabin, had a great night, very enjoyable camp-fires at both breakfast and dinner (and afterward) and would highly recommend the Lake View cabins to anyone looking for nice campground lodging in the area.

For our second stay we had a rustic cabin across the drive from the park store. It was clean, it was exactly what they promised, but we absolutely hated the location. The park store is busy right up until it's 11pm closing time, with huge diesel trucks rumbling in idle right across the dirt-drive from our cabin. It made the campfire rather un-enjoyable. If wonder if they could switch the orientation of these cabins so the picnic tables and fire-pits are "behind" instead of in-front. As it stands, our cabin's fire-pit was about 10' from the road, so we didn't feel great sitting next to it as F250s idled right in front of our site, and people tooted their car-horns to tell their kids to get out of the pool. As it stands the cabin itself was great. It would have no trouble recommending the cabin. I would strongly suggest you call early and ask for a cabin anywhere away from the park store. We understood that our late reservation (about 30 days before our trip) meant we got less-than-optimal location and we were ok with it. Still a great value.

Amenities - Clean pool. Clean bathrooms. Clean cabins. WELL DONE! Well-stocked park store. Dry firewood. The fire truck rides are hokey and fun. The views from the property are great. We didn't try their beach, and we never tried food from the park store. The arcade looked nice enough too.

Location - This is the real jackpot of this place. 3 years ago we stayed and brought bikes. I would recommend you do the same (it didn't work for us this trip, but more because of the 10 days off-road in the woods beforehand). There is a rail-to-trail path from the campground to Mackinaw City, roughly 4 miles I believe. It's flat, easy riding and when we brought bikes we never drove to town at all, just rode bikes. Very relaxing. You are close to the Mill Creek Historic State Park which was really fun too. The Star Line to Mackinac Island has a free shuttle from within the park, so again... nice and easy (especially if you have an RV and no car in-tow). The location is optimal too because you're not right *in* Mackinaw City which can be a little annoying with traffic and kitsch.

The Verdict: If you like campground complexes where there is no reason to ever leave this one is cleaner than most, friendly service, efficiently run and worth the price.

Room Tip: Lake-view cabins are great!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Suydam
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed for two nights. Great family atmosphere and very quiet. Washrooms/showers were clean. Stayed in the super saver sites. You can't beat the value. The pool was nice. The camp store was well stocked with just about anything you could need.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2012

The staff is unhelpful and rude. We reserved in person, despite my better judgment, after looking at the sites. I SPECIFICALLY asked the woman at the window if there was a fee for canceling since we were unsure of our dates. She gave me an odd look and said "Not if you let us know in advance. There is a $3 non-refundable fee". I went ahead and reserved since $3 is not much risk. I asked her to only charge one night since we weren't sure of our plans and didn't want to give more than the minimum in advance. Well, they charged the whole stay on our credit card. We did, in fact, have to cancel and I gave almost 2 weeks notice. They charged us $13 to cancel and said there is a $10 cancellation fee that they state at the window and in an email confirmation. I was NOT told about the $10 cancellation fee. If I had known it would be $13 to cancel then I would NOT have made the reservation until I was sure of our dates. I've called back and spoken to 2 rude people, the manager being one of them. The manager insisted that they give this information to everyone and I can assure you I was not told. She also said that it was marked that I was told about the $10, well, it was also marked that I only wanted one night charged and they didn't do that, so several things marked on that sheet are incorrect. The manager wanted me to email my complaint after I've already called twice and emailed once, and that she would forward it to the owner who would likely do nothing. THIS IS RIDICULOUS and HORRIBLE customer service. I cannot believe that anyone would recommend this place. I didn't even stay here and I can assure you that I will tell EVERYONE going to mackinaw to not fall for this place, who cares that they have a video of their campground, they have horrible customer service.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Kori J
Frank R, Owner at Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2012

Our cancellation policies are consistent with nearly all seasonal businesses. If everyone who booked a site or a cabin could cancel and receive a full refund (without leaving us enough time to be able to rebook), we would go out of business. Our regular site policy is that there is a $10.00 fee for cancelled reservations. Site cancellations must be made 4 days prior to obtain a refund. This is stated as part of our reservation procedure as well as being stated on our online reservation system. Once that reservation is made EVERYONE receives a reservation confirmation that ALSO explains the policy. There is no question that everyone working here knows our cancellation policy as everyone on the staff explains it to each person making a reservation (many times a day). This individual was very rude to our staff and manager (who you can see by other reviews here is very hard working, well trained and professional). We are proud to be a family operated seasonal business with 40% of our customers coming back as return visitors and another 30% come here by word of mouth.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

Everything all in one. Pool. Store.. Beach etc.. An absolute must. Hay rides. Fire truck.. Chipmunks galore..
Very well maintained.
First time we took the kids camping.. Absolutly will return. Privatly owned.. State should take some pointers

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Doug K
Reviewed August 1, 2012

This is our third year camping at Mill Creek and this is the place where we will ALWAYS go! We select lots that are conveniently located close to the showers and facing the bridge. The atmosphere of the entire campground appeals to young and old.

The restrooms/showers are kept very clean which is amazing, considering the number of camp sites! It has been fun getting to know the staff in the store and they are always willing to just talk with you.

The only negative is that the WiFi connection is sketchy. We had to go to the main entrance before the WiFi would connect. It was explained to us that a new system had been installed and they were dealing with many technical issues.

This negative isn't enough to rate the site below excellent. We have already made plans for next year.

Room Tip: Always ask or a campsite facing the bridge!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank JWilliam0316
Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

Very family oriented. The roads are dusty but most campgrounds are. Very big place we camped with a 45" and stay in the bigger lots there was a nice shaded playground right by us which was nice. While driving around the other lots were very close to each other. We would not like that you were practically eating with your neighbors. Where we were we had room it was quite and we were only a two minute walk to the beach. U would definitely want to bring bikes to get to pool or the sandy beach area. Nice shaded trails pool was packed through to many people for one pool. The mini golf was the most unatractable ever. Did not like that. But overall for a family of four with a 3&5 year old we were pleased. Also if you want a campfire u might wAnt to bring your own ring because they were the size of a fry pan

• Stayed: July 2012