“This is The Place To Stay!”

Mackinaw Beach and Bay - Inn & Suites
Ranked #9 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Saginaw
“This is The Place To Stay!”
Reviewed August 31, 2010

My husband and I stayed here just one night - a Sunday night when the hotel rate was more affordable. What a place! We really enjoyed the balcony overlooking the lake and the extra space in the suite. This would be great for a family. Everything was clean and fresh. It was a good hike into town, but an enjoyable walk. We just have nothing negative to say about this place - it was wonderful

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Battle Creek, Michigan
Reviewed August 24, 2010

We enjoyed the view (Mackinaw Island) from the balcony and the bonfires on the beach at night. Room was clean, only wish there was a door to give the bedroom privacy. Sofa sleeper I was told wasn't that comfortable (but how many are). Pool was nice, hot tub was a little dirty and small. Price was good and hotel wasn't far from downtown. We rode our bikes. Very close to the Arnold Ferry Service which you can watch the ferry come and go. Breakfast buffet was okay, but don't be late, they lock the door!!!

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Both my boyfriend and I were very impressed with the service at the hotel. The hotel was very clean. We only stayed here one night, but the view of the water was gorgeous (we had a water view room). For a romantic couple, I would 100% suggest this place! The night light surrounding this hotel is also wonderful. This hotel is perfect for a couple looking to have a nice, romantic weekend.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Ravenna, Nebraska
Reviewed August 22, 2010

I researched TA before choosing our Mack City hotel, and this place had the best reviews. We definitely enjoyed the space in the rooms. Granted the furnishings and decor were dated, but so what. You get a great space for the money. Two sleeping rooms, one with a king and one with a queen plus sofa bed. Also, a good sized bathroom, two nice TVs, a fridge and a microwave. Plus, a balcony which was a great place to sit and enjoy the view with a cup of coffee in the morning. The kids also enjoyed feeding the seagulls.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, from the first phone call to book our stay, to the second phone call to change dates, all the way to check-out. They offered ideas for where to eat - 'Neath the Birches has great food, by the way, but is pricey. They also had coupons for the shuttles to the island - awesome!

On the downside, I was disappointed in the beach. It was so rocky that my small children's feet hurt trying to get to the water. They enjoyed building sand castles, though, and we swam in the nice pool. It is a bit far to walk downtown, so we drove, but that was fine, too. The breakfast was NOT GOOD, and needs great improvement.

All in all, a place I would stay again, especially if the main idea is to stay the night, visit downtown, then the island the next day, rest, and then go home.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 18, 2010

The moment I walked into my hotel room, I could see this was not going to be a good hotel. The tv is ok, but the drab bumpy white wall was so ugly I could hardly look at it. The furniture looks like it was salvaged from a garage sale, and the vibe I got here was terrible. I looked out onto the "beach" from the small balcony with a plastic railing onto a seagull ridden mudpit. Nothing like the picture. At night, hundreds of small flying bugs gather around the balcony door and as soon as you open it, they swarm in. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

4 Thank esp96
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed August 16, 2010

We stayed for 2 nights on a hot August weekend. Our first impression was good, but then stepped into a musty hallway and an even mustier room. Maybe it's because it's beachfront? I don't know, but I'll admit, our view made up for it. We cranked the A/C and stepped out onto our nice-size balcony overlooking Lake Huron, Mackinac Island, and the Mackinaw Bridge off to our left. This is where we kept our eyes turned while we were there because the furnishings and decorations inside were outdated. The fridge and microwave were nice to have, though, and the bathroom was a good size. We did enjoy the fact that the 2 rooms of the suite were separated nicely by complete walls (bathroom in between). The other down-side was that there were a lot of bugs around there. I found a dead mosquito under my pillow, and our deck rails and deck door were covered with tiny dead bugs - I had to take a wet washcloth and wipe it all down - I don't think they clean the outside area at all because I threw the washcloth in the corner of the deck, and it was never picked up when the room had been cleaned. Also, we could see that the picnic table outside by the beach was filthy. We never did go down there, although watched many people wading on the shore, swimming in the lake, and making campfires at night. Even though the beds were not very comfy, I'll admit - I loved leaving the window open and falling asleep listening to the waves; however, was rudely awakened both mornings by seagulls squwaaaaaking because people were throwing food off of their balconies to them. We found our own balcony covered with popcorn after that. The hotel could do their guests a GREAT service by simply putting up signs or asking their guests not to throw food from their balconies. Also, don't leave your balcony door open - the area is known for their bat population. In fact, we saw one sleeping behind the newspaper machine outside the front lobby.
The pool was okay. There was a lot of sand or dirt at the bottom, but they had a cute waterfall feature and a couple of tubes to use. Honestly, when you walk in, it looks like a construction area. They have unfinished wood and a huge furnace type thing hanging to the right that you could literally walk right into. This didn't seem safe. It's in a very odd area, and the pool pretty much takes up the whole space with little walking area. The hot tub is tiny, and the water in it looked dingy. The kids had fun; however, there were no clean towels for them to use after their last swim there.
The free breakfast was pretty sad, but I'm used to staying at Residence Inn's. They had some powdery scrambled eggs they you could put some gravy on. They also had toast, a couple cereals, and some cheap mass-produced muffins and cinnamon rolls. Oh, and 2 belgian waffle makers, but get there early if you want one because the line for those is incredible (not surprising, considering the rest of your selections). They also offered only OJ or coffee to drink (with cream, sugar, or sweet-n-low). We would've liked the breakfast better if they offered some fresh fruits and some sort of meat to go with your eggs.
We stayed here because it was one of the cheaper suite hotels right on the water, but I'm not sure if we would stay again. I'd probably spend an extra $20/night and try a different hotel next time. We will definitely be back to the area, as it is gorgeous, and Mackinaw City downtown is incredible. If you're not too picky, you'd probably be quite content at this hotel.

Port Huron, Michigan
Reviewed August 14, 2010

This is a great hotel. Every room has a lakeview and a balcony. They are also equipped with a minifridge, a microwave, and a coffee maker. Each room has two bedrooms, with the one nearer the entryway having a couch which folds out into a bed. Along with the queen and king beds in the room, you could easily sleep six in these rooms. Unfortunately the beds weren't very comfortable and my back hurt more and more each night of our stay. The breakfast is good and includes scrambled eggs, self serve waffles, and biscuits and gravy along with the usual continental breakfast offerings. The hot tub was very relaxing, and the pool had a little waterfall. The fitness center consisted of two treadmills and a stair stepper, and a stereo which had a CD player that didn't work. The beach is nice, but it is evident that this was a marshy area before the hotel took over. There is some muddy area, and in the water there are lots of rocks. If you can make it past the rocks there are some sandy areas a little further out. If you want a sandy beach, the Clarion a few doors down is probably a better bet, but they have smaller rooms, and most of their rooms don't have a lake view. Also, the Beach and Bay has a fire pit and we enjoyed making a fire there on our last night there. It was a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple