All reviews parfait homemade granola other guests lilac room mackinac experience mission point breakfast was amazing large porch shared bathroom place to stay beds were very comfortable view of the lake the location is perfect bike rental short walk hosts brian
Selected filters
Reviewed July 26, 2016

Small Point is now under the management of Brian and Christina Findley. Brian is the son of the owners John and Lois Findley who ran the B & B for many, many years. Brian and his wife have a combined 60+ years experience in the hospitality industry and are more than qualified to provide a B & B experience like no other.

Unlike years past, the breakfasts are now all fresh made. Belgian waffles, various strudels, muffins, and on and on. My favorite are Chris' homemade English muffins. Unbelievable!

Brian has gone to great lengths to enhance the guest experience by providing larger refrigerator space for guests, including a dedicated ice maker. For all those who insist on staying connected to the outside world, WiFi is now available. Yea!

My wife and I have stayed at Small Point for many years and with the recent changes and upgrades we are sure to stay for many, many more. Thank you Brian & Christina and your beautiful daughters, Lacy and Elizabeth, for making this years stay the best ever!

Room tip: Lakeside, 2nd floor
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
3  Thank Greg F
christinafindley, Owner at Small Point Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2016

Wow, you're making me blush! It was wonderful having you visit and I look forward to welcoming you and your wife next year. I'm glad that you appreciate the addition of WiFi, sometimes our guests don't want to be connected!

Reviewed July 25, 2016

This was not our first visit to Small Point Bed & Breakfast and will not be our last. Since our last visit, they made some improvements (even though is was already very good). Breakfast is fantastic. Baked goods, including streusels, muffins, waffles, etc., are made from scratch. The ambiance on the front porch makes is hard to leave and do anything else. If you get off the front porch, you can rent 7 speed bikes to trek around the island and bike to the top at the historic Fort Holmes. It is a short walk to town to have dinner or walk to down to the waters edge and watch the beavers at hard work on their lodge, Of course the sun rise in unbelievable but we got to watch the moon rise. The managers and the staff treat their guests in a warm friendly welcoming way. Staying at Small Point, as usual, was a great experience.

1  Thank Michael R

I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your visit this year and gratified that you appreciate the changes. Our goal is to keep the qualities that our long time guests enjoy while continuing to update. I look forward to welcoming you back next year!

Reviewed July 25, 2016

We have stayed at Small Point in mid-July each year for the past 24 years in connection with the annual Bayview Mackinac sailboat race. We love it and the entire Findley family. Sitting on the porch with a cup of coffee in the a.m., looking out through the lilac trees towards Bois Blanc Island, and hearing the bell ringing on the bouy off of Arch rock is about as good as it gets.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Fantastic, 24 years!? I guess next year will be your silver anniversary with us! I'm so glad that you've enjoyed staying here, we really appreciate your loyalty. I agree it is pretty hard to beat the tranquility of our porch in the morning. I look forward to welcoming you back next year!

Reviewed July 19, 2016

Visited early July 2016, let me CORRECT the awful review that I saw written in July of 2015 about breakfast, because that review is absolutely outdated and wrong. There are new managers starting in 2016, and things must have improved very, very much since the previous managers. Breakfast was very good - boiled eggs for protein, assorted cereals, fresh in-season watermelon, canteloupe, grapes, homemade yogurt parfaits with homemade granola and in-season fruit, the 4 mornings we stayed there the excellent HOMEMADE pastries varied between: blueberry struedel the best I have ever had, an excellent coffee cake, carrot muffins, chocolate cranberry muffins, banana muffins, blueberry muffins, regular & gingerbread waffles, homemade english muffins. Plenty of milk, orange juice, and a second juice which varied (apple juice, mixed-berry juice), coffee. Since breakfast served 8-10 am, was always room at the table. And china dishes and glasses, no there are certainly no dixie cups at the breakfast table. The bathrooms, most are shared, never had an issue getting in for a shower, some people morning, some people night users. Would have preferred they update their 2 bathrooms on 2nd floor so both are modern showers instead of primitive shower in antique bath tub. But water was always hot. Very clean, wonderful front porch, definitely good value and peaceful.

1  Thank visitor999Ohio
christinafindley, Owner at Small Point Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2016

Thank you for your kind words, nothing makes us happier than knowing that our guests enjoy their time on Mackinac Island. Breakfast is part of our name so I think it is really important to get it right, I'm glad you enjoyed it! It is interesting that you commented on the age of our bathrooms. We plan to renovate them after the season so that they will be ready for the 2017 season. I'd love to welcome you back.

Reviewed July 18, 2016

First of all, we loved the owner and her daughter. The hospitality and friendliness of the owners can make or break a place, and it is the reason my daughter and I choose to stay at bed and breakfasts. Small Point knocked it out of the park. We stayed in the 3rd floor room (which is air-conditioned). All of their rooms are very large and seem to sleep multiple people, so value wise this B&B is a great deal, particularly for families. Our room could have slept 4, with a double bed and bunkbeds. The bathroom was huge. Breakfast was the best part though - amazing baked goods, yogurt parfaits with homemade granola, waffles, berry compotes, strawberry butter, etc....(all available in gluten-free!). On the day we left they even packed us some of their baked goods to go. Best food on the island and if they offered picnic lunches or dinners we would have done that too. Small Point also offers bike rentals to guests at a tremendous discount over the other bike rentals on the island. Finally, the porch is a great place to sit and hang out or work. I loved the quiet on that part of the island, but it is still super close to downtown.

• Trip type: Traveled with family

I'm so glad that you enjoyed your time on Mackinac Island. We believe that a good breakfast is the best way to start the day so we're gratified that you enjoyed yours. We are always happy to accommodate our guests dietary needs, thanks for letting us know in advance so we could do that.