“Great stay & affordable price”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mackinac Island
Small Point Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #11 of 14 Mackinac Island B&B and Inns
Hamilton, Canada
“Great stay & affordable price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

This was my first B&B experience and it was a pleasant experience overall. The room my fiancé & I stayed in was just right - it wasn't fancy, it had everything we needed, it was clean and well kept. The room we stayed in had its own bathroom but no shower just a tub. Taking a showering wasn't a problem, you just use the bathroom upstairs when it's free. The breakfast was average but it was more than enough to get you started for the day. The location was a bit far from downtown but if you are biking or if you love walking the location is not a problem.

It honestly felt like I was staying at a cottage - the atmosphere was serene, you're closer to the nature aspect of the island, and it was away from all the high traffic commotion of downtown. Jim & Judy are such great hosts, so friendly. They truly try to make your stay very easy & comfortable. I don't have anything I liked least about my stay with them. If I go back to the island I would stay with them again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bunnay

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
st louis, mo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Rent them there for a fraction of what you would pay at the bike shops. You are at the very edge of town, with a view of the lake and only those biking the circuit to break the serenity. It is nothing fancy but everything you need at a very attractive price. One of my favorite memories will be biking back there from a round of night putting and deciding to go just a few yards past the house on the trail toward Arch Rock. Pitch black but for the glittering stars, the bats pinwheeling above your head. We will be back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank stlcathy
Ferndale, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

We always love to stay here. The porch is perfection and the house takes you back in time. Its so quiet and the absence of tvs in the room makes it feel like a real vacation. Judy and Jim are awesome and full of knowledge of the island.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Bethany R
Cumberland Gap
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

We return each time we visit the Island! This little B&B is perfect for a couple or family traveling to the Island...there are more elegant places and residences closer to the action but Small Point fits our needs completely...it doesn't have air conditioning in every room (many places on the Island don't) and one shares bathrooms on the upper floors but the foot tubs are so refreshing! The breakfast has variety and something for everyone and the large comfy front porch has a view well worth the price...we had a lower floor room with a bathroom and tub for $119, well below the usual Island summer prices. Small Point is located just past Mission Resort and is a bit of a walk from the ferry docks but that distance also provides a secluded, peaceful atmosphere...and Mission point has a carriage transport which one can use for $1.25. Small point does close in late September and isn't available for late fall visitors.

Room Tip: Private bathrooms are available but the shared bathrooms seem to be plentiful enough not to cause a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kathy M
Tecumseh, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Small Point B&B is the most wonderful place to stay on the Island. It has the most relaxing porch to hang out on. This is the gem of the Island. Jim and Judy do a great job making you feel welcome and have a great breakfast too.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Margaret B
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Judy was an absolute godsend when I showed up to get the ferry (on the Mackinaw City side) much later than anticipated and couldn't check in at the B&B and still make it to a friend's wedding on the other side of the island. With her helpful suggestions I had my bag sent to the B&B where it was waiting for me after the reception. Without talking to Judy first I would have missed the ceremony.

My room was very spacious and comfortable (originally booked for 2, my partner couldn't make it) and could have accomodated 3 people. I slept in and missed the crowd for breakfast. But had a very nice chat with Jim when I did make it down. The location is an easy walk from the ferry even pulling a suitcase.

I would definitely return to this B&B for a longer stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank at8408
Westport, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Small Point for our first time on the Island, and we were happy with our experience there.

Good points:
-Location: fantastic, quiet location. The breeze was lovely. Super quiet during the night.
-The Porch: I loved the wraparound porch. A perfect place to sit and chill with a beer on a breezy afternoon.
-The Hosts: Jim and Judy were very nice and pleasant to be around.
-The Decor: I know some reviewers didn't like the '70s feel of some of upstairs rooms, but I enjoyed how low-key the decor was and how it wasn't "frou-frou" Victorian. I've stayed in a few of those types of b&bs and they just made me feel weird. I did think the place could have been aired out better on the lower level because it smelled musty when you walked in. But it definitely felt cozy and although our room was small, the bed and pillows were comfortable. The whole place was very clean.

Things that could be improved:

-The bathrooms: although super clean, there was a bit of a lineup for the bathrooms in the morning. There are only 2 (only 1 with a shower) and for a place that has at least 6 rooms (some of these to accommodate families of 4), I don't think they were enough to service everybody. I don't mind sharing, but I really don't like waiting for the bathroom.
- The breakfast: it was good, but not great. I liked the fruit and the bagels, but there were altogether too many pastries. Could use healthier options like yogurt and cereal along with the fruit.
-Internet: I know, I know. Mackinac Island is a place to relax and not worry about email and work, etc. BUT. Because we are Canadian tourists, we cannot use our cellphones to check email and thus need wifi. Small Point does not have wifi, but we were told that we could mooch it from the neighbouring resort. We were never able to do this (we actually went to stand in front of the Mission Point Resort to check email). So, it would be nice to have wifi IN the b&b.

The rates were so reasonable at Small Point that we would probably stay there again. Great value for a cozy place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple