“Wedding Weekend”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mackinac Island
Small Point Bed & Breakfast
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Judy was an absolute godsend when I showed up to get the ferry (on the Mackinaw City side) much later than anticipated and couldn't check in at the B&B and still make it to a friend's wedding on the other side of the island. With her helpful suggestions I had my bag sent to the B&B where it was waiting for me after the reception. Without talking to Judy first I would have missed the ceremony.

My room was very spacious and comfortable (originally booked for 2, my partner couldn't make it) and could have accomodated 3 people. I slept in and missed the crowd for breakfast. But had a very nice chat with Jim when I did make it down. The location is an easy walk from the ferry even pulling a suitcase.

I would definitely return to this B&B for a longer stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank at8408

Reviewed August 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Small Point for our first time on the Island, and we were happy with our experience there.

Good points:
-Location: fantastic, quiet location. The breeze was lovely. Super quiet during the night.
-The Porch: I loved the wraparound porch. A perfect place to sit and chill with a beer on a breezy afternoon.
-The Hosts: Jim and Judy were very nice and pleasant to be around.
-The Decor: I know some reviewers didn't like the '70s feel of some of upstairs rooms, but I enjoyed how low-key the decor was and how it wasn't "frou-frou" Victorian. I've stayed in a few of those types of b&bs and they just made me feel weird. I did think the place could have been aired out better on the lower level because it smelled musty when you walked in. But it definitely felt cozy and although our room was small, the bed and pillows were comfortable. The whole place was very clean.

Things that could be improved:

-The bathrooms: although super clean, there was a bit of a lineup for the bathrooms in the morning. There are only 2 (only 1 with a shower) and for a place that has at least 6 rooms (some of these to accommodate families of 4), I don't think they were enough to service everybody. I don't mind sharing, but I really don't like waiting for the bathroom.
- The breakfast: it was good, but not great. I liked the fruit and the bagels, but there were altogether too many pastries. Could use healthier options like yogurt and cereal along with the fruit.
-Internet: I know, I know. Mackinac Island is a place to relax and not worry about email and work, etc. BUT. Because we are Canadian tourists, we cannot use our cellphones to check email and thus need wifi. Small Point does not have wifi, but we were told that we could mooch it from the neighbouring resort. We were never able to do this (we actually went to stand in front of the Mission Point Resort to check email). So, it would be nice to have wifi IN the b&b.

The rates were so reasonable at Small Point that we would probably stay there again. Great value for a cozy place.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank fuschia_rose
Reviewed February 2, 2012

My wife and I visited Small Point for the first time last July, and I was very impressed. It's a 10-minute walk to town and is the very last B&B before you get out of the reaches of the village. The staff were very friendly and helpful and we met some very lovely people that were staying there as well. I will be back this July for our anniversary again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank BenBTC
Reviewed October 3, 2011

We've stayed at Small Point three times, always for race weekend (post-Labor Day). The rooms are comfortable. The innkeepers (Jim and Judy) are helpful and the location is great. Just out of the fray, the Inn is quiet and the porch is a great place for coffee in the morning; wine and relaxing. It is very low key and quiet and everyone is pretty respectful of one another. You can mooch the wifi from Mission Point next door.

Room Tip: Check on locations of bathrooms, there are some shared.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank RobertafromMI
Reviewed July 25, 2011

My wife and I stayed at Small Point B&B and we feel very comfortable and peace of mind. Our room was at first floor mark private and gives us full privacy. Our hosts Jim and Judy were very nice and friendly. The breakfast served at time and if we need to warm our food for lunch or dinner (late night), either Jim or Judy helped us out. The rates of bike charges were very reasonable and fit within our budget.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Window2011Chicago
Reviewed January 2, 2011

I stayed at this B&B with my boyfriend and his mom. It is their family tradition to spend a week at Mackinac Island every summer. Before I even arrived both my boyfriend and his mom had told me that they didn't really get along with the property managers, Jim and Judy. This story is not affecting my personal review of the property but the first year BF and his family stayed there, he and his sister and friends were out drinking on the porch and Jim actually turned the lights off on them. When confronted them he said that they should be in bed and that they were being too loud. If there are bedtimes, why aren't they posted so all the guests know? (sarcasm)

It seems strange that they keep returning but boyfriend's mother loves the large porch, the fact that it is out of the way, and the low price. She refuses to let other people get in the way of doing what she wants. Plus when she rubs Jim and Judy the wrong way they are way more tolerant of her than they are of boyfriend and me.

We arrived on a Tuesday and the B&B was very mellow. The large porch was enjoyable. We brought two coolers of food and made most of our meals there. It was nice to have fridge space and not to spend too much on meals. The breakfast was fruit, pastries, breads, bagels, and hard boiled eggs. I do like to have more warm breakfast, but what was available was tasty.

I like to sleep in, especially when I am on vacation, and after I wake up I like to spend a little time on my computer. Every day I was woken up or disturbed during my computer time for the cleaning lady to try to clean our room. She didn't hide her annoyance at our chosen schedule and never seemed to figure out that maybe she should just save our room for last. Also, the beds were hard and made my back hurt.

I decided to do a puzzle while I was there and Judy questioned me about it repeatedly. She seemed to think it was a bad choice for passing my time since the weather was nice. I felt very uncomfortable by the judgment passed on both my sleeping schedule and choice of pastimes.

The worst part of the entire trip was that the weekend we stayed was race weekend, and the owners of the property came up for a visit. Both Jim and Judy spent extra time making the property look nice for the owners, like putting out new pillows on the porch. The owners came in, acting like they owned the place (which they do) and I felt like I had to suck up to them every time they were around. Their grandson woke me up every day after he arrived by being a typical noisy toddler. Furthermore, the owner's kids stayed in the gazebo on the porch, making it impossible to spend much time on the porch. I feel like if you are going to take over the Bed and Breakfast you own, you shouldn't rent it out to guests at the same time. The time they were there I felt like I was staying with in-laws or distant family I didn't know well, where I had to be on my best behavior at all times.

The property managers were also clearly annoyed at my boyfriend and I wanting to spend time enjoying the nightlife. They didn't like us being out after the time they normally lock the doors and turn off the lights.

Small Point is a good place to stay if you are elderly, or go to bed and wake up early. If you are like me and want to make up your schedule as you go along on your vacations, this is probably not the place for you. Also, avoid it if the owners will be there.

• Stayed: July 2010
14  Thank naiveinsight
Reviewed July 30, 2010

We visit Mackinac Island every year - hopefully a few times each summer - and have enjoyed staying at the Small Point . The location is quiet and provides fantastic sunrises as a bonus to a fun-filled day of biking and joining the various Island activities.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family