“Great Value on the Island”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mackinac Island
Small Point Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 14 Mackinac Island B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 3, 2011

We've stayed at Small Point three times, always for race weekend (post-Labor Day). The rooms are comfortable. The innkeepers (Jim and Judy) are helpful and the location is great. Just out of the fray, the Inn is quiet and the porch is a great place for coffee in the morning; wine and relaxing. It is very low key and quiet and everyone is pretty respectful of one another. You can mooch the wifi from Mission Point next door.

Room Tip: Check on locations of bathrooms, there are some shared.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank RobertafromMI
There are newer reviews for Small Point Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed July 25, 2011

My wife and I stayed at Small Point B&B and we feel very comfortable and peace of mind. Our room was at first floor mark private and gives us full privacy. Our hosts Jim and Judy were very nice and friendly. The breakfast served at time and if we need to warm our food for lunch or dinner (late night), either Jim or Judy helped us out. The rates of bike charges were very reasonable and fit within our budget.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Window2011Chicago
Reviewed January 2, 2011

I stayed at this B&B with my boyfriend and his mom. It is their family tradition to spend a week at Mackinac Island every summer. Before I even arrived both my boyfriend and his mom had told me that they didn't really get along with the property managers, Jim and Judy. This story is not affecting my personal review of the property but the first year BF and his family stayed there, he and his sister and friends were out drinking on the porch and Jim actually turned the lights off on them. When confronted them he said that they should be in bed and that they were being too loud. If there are bedtimes, why aren't they posted so all the guests know? (sarcasm)

It seems strange that they keep returning but boyfriend's mother loves the large porch, the fact that it is out of the way, and the low price. She refuses to let other people get in the way of doing what she wants. Plus when she rubs Jim and Judy the wrong way they are way more tolerant of her than they are of boyfriend and me.

We arrived on a Tuesday and the B&B was very mellow. The large porch was enjoyable. We brought two coolers of food and made most of our meals there. It was nice to have fridge space and not to spend too much on meals. The breakfast was fruit, pastries, breads, bagels, and hard boiled eggs. I do like to have more warm breakfast, but what was available was tasty.

I like to sleep in, especially when I am on vacation, and after I wake up I like to spend a little time on my computer. Every day I was woken up or disturbed during my computer time for the cleaning lady to try to clean our room. She didn't hide her annoyance at our chosen schedule and never seemed to figure out that maybe she should just save our room for last. Also, the beds were hard and made my back hurt.

I decided to do a puzzle while I was there and Judy questioned me about it repeatedly. She seemed to think it was a bad choice for passing my time since the weather was nice. I felt very uncomfortable by the judgment passed on both my sleeping schedule and choice of pastimes.

The worst part of the entire trip was that the weekend we stayed was race weekend, and the owners of the property came up for a visit. Both Jim and Judy spent extra time making the property look nice for the owners, like putting out new pillows on the porch. The owners came in, acting like they owned the place (which they do) and I felt like I had to suck up to them every time they were around. Their grandson woke me up every day after he arrived by being a typical noisy toddler. Furthermore, the owner's kids stayed in the gazebo on the porch, making it impossible to spend much time on the porch. I feel like if you are going to take over the Bed and Breakfast you own, you shouldn't rent it out to guests at the same time. The time they were there I felt like I was staying with in-laws or distant family I didn't know well, where I had to be on my best behavior at all times.

The property managers were also clearly annoyed at my boyfriend and I wanting to spend time enjoying the nightlife. They didn't like us being out after the time they normally lock the doors and turn off the lights.

Small Point is a good place to stay if you are elderly, or go to bed and wake up early. If you are like me and want to make up your schedule as you go along on your vacations, this is probably not the place for you. Also, avoid it if the owners will be there.

• Stayed: July 2010
14  Thank naiveinsight
Reviewed July 30, 2010

We visit Mackinac Island every year - hopefully a few times each summer - and have enjoyed staying at the Small Point . The location is quiet and provides fantastic sunrises as a bonus to a fun-filled day of biking and joining the various Island activities.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank MargaretPierson
Reviewed July 25, 2010

I stayed at this B&B with 3 friends of mine while on a trip to Mackinac Island celebrating the upcoming wedding of one of my friends. We weren't sure what to expect from Small Point, as none of us had stayed there previously. It's not a glamorous resort by any means, and like a previous reviewer stated, there are things in the house that could use a makeover, but overall the place is just full of charm and personality! I had such a good experience getting to know our hosts and fellow guests. I woke up extra early just to have coffee with everyone and sit and chat, even though my friends and I were the youngest people staying there. The hospitality is second to none. Everything was clean and well taken care of and all of our needs were accomodated. If you're looking for a fancy hotel with lots of ammenities, this isn't the place for you, but if you're looking for a quiet place to enjoy some relaxation and good company, well, you've found it.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank thegiftofstones
Reviewed September 17, 2009

My husband & I have very mixed feelings about Small Point. Jim & Judy are wonderful, gracious hosts. In fact, we stayed there longer than we thought we would because they made us feel so at home and were very helpful with suggestions. They even offer bike rentals. The home is clean and the towels are fresh & color coordinated with each room. However the upstairs walls are not in keeping with the period of the home. This 1882 house was obviously refurbished in the 70's. While the downstairs areas are authentically designed and keep with the original time period, the only thing I could focus on upstairs were the hi-lo shag carpets of many colors in the bedrooms. We moved from the lime green room with white wicker as soon as there was availability. We chose one of the front rooms with traditional furniture without orange carpet. It had an amazing view of the lake, that is while peaking between the lilac trees. Those trees detract from what the room has to offer, and desparately need to be cut back to below the porch so that that view is not obstructed either from the bedrooms or the porch. We liked the home's location because it is so quiet. We could occasionally hear the horse taxis go by next door at the resort-- the last stop for taxis. We walked or biked everywhere and had a grand time. As for breakfast, there was plenty of good food, though not home baked. This B&B has great potential for a romantic getaway with some updates like carpet, wall treatments, and a private bath. Right now I think it is better suited to families.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SandyFromCali
Reviewed September 30, 2007

The Small Point B&B may be one of Mackinac Island's best kept little secrets. My family has stayed at this B&B 4 times, and we have never sat down to breakfast without couples and families who have returned for their 15th, 20th, 25th year, or even more. People love this place, and for many good reasons.

The Small Point is a 19th century (1882) home with beautiful Victorian architectural features. The large wraparound porch, furnished with wicker furniture and shaded from the road by a row of lilacs (oh, to be there in May when the lilac bloom), provides a welcoming entrance. It is also the place to be after a day of touring the island, or to just sit and read or watch the freighters go by. It is among the many delightful features of the Small Point that draws us and many others back, year after year.

As you walk through the screen doors, you step into a welcoming old house that feels like arriving home or to a well loved relative. The large living room is a comfortable place to sit, visit, play a game, work on a puzzle, or watch TV, if you must. The dining room across the main hall, where breakfast is served, is anchored by a large dining table, the kind of table that brings people together and encourages conversation.

Up the broad main stairs are the guest rooms. All the rooms are clean, cheerful, comfortable and spacious. There are various bed configurations available that make them ideal for accommodating families with children. I wish there was an option for a room with a Queen bed, but only full size and twins(in those rooms with extra beds) are available. But the beds are comfortable and we always sleep well. Of particular note are the three front rooms, with the tall windows facing Lake Huron.

All guests share the bathrooms. This has never been a problem for us, but I realize that for some folks, this will be a deal breaker. Too bad. The bathrooms have always been clean and well maintained, and the other guests have always done their bit to keep it this way. We have rarely had to wait for a bathroom, nor stepped on a soggy floor, even with morning showers.

Breakfast at the Small Point is always generous and fresh. Nothing fancy or gourmet, but plenty of fresh baked muffins and sweet breads, fresh fruit, bagels, spreads, hard boiled eggs, juices and endless hot coffee. Everything passes around the table, along with stories, jokes and memories.

Among the attractions of the Small Point, for our family, is its location. It is 3/4 of a mile along Lake Shore Drive, just past Mission Point, and well out of the clamor and commotion of downtown. In fact, it is the last commercial establishment that you pass along the circle road before entering the State Park. The distance may be more than some people want to walk to town, but we rely on bicycles for our transport, one of the charms of staying on the island. Small Point has single speed bicycles available for rent, which was helpful the time that we flew out from NH and didn't have our own bicycles with us.

John and Lois Findley have owned the Small Point for 36 years and have run it as a B&B for 27. Walking in feels like arriving home. They have created a warm and welcoming setting that reflects their own straightforward personalities. This is home and you are on vacation. Relax.

This summer, when we arrived, we were greeted by Jim and Judy, guests for 18 years who have taken over on site management for the Findleys this year. After spending many summers away from home, John and Lois were eager to spend more time at home in Indiana doting on grandchildren during the summer vacation months. Jim and Judy were such a natural standin for John and Lois that I thought they were family.

In short, we love this place. It is one of the most affordable lodging options on the island. It is in a great location away from the downtown chaos. The owners are welcoming and accommodating and the B&B is comfortable and relaxing.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family