“Favorite restaurant/bar on the Island”

Cawthorne's Village Inn
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Drinks, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Fenton, Michigan
“Favorite restaurant/bar on the Island”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Village Inn is mine and my fiances favorite place on the island. He actually proposed to me there on New Years Eve this year. Their food is amazing and the service is even better. The manager is by far the hardest working individual I have ever met. The bartenders are amazing, they make us not feel like tourists, they treat us more like locals which is very comforting. We will be coming back here for the years to come.

Visited December 2013

Mattawan, MI
“Good food, good times.”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We really enjoyed our winter dining and spirits. The service was friendly and (for the most part) effecient. For a winter get-away, it's a very good option. If you want the Grand Hotel dining experience--visit in the summer. I was particularly impressed with the blackend whitefish sandwich.

• Visited December 2013
Marquette, Michigan
“Jesse is AWESOME”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

A great place to stop in and eat.. or visit at the bar. One of the two open bars/restaurants in Mac Island in the winter. Friendly!

Visited December 2013
mattawan
“Down hill poor value.”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I visited the Village Inn today. This is my first experience here since the Grand Hotel has taken over. Very disappointed. The quality of the food did not go up. The price did. I ordered a root beer, what I received was a can of Faygo Root beer for 3 dollars. Yes a can of Faygo for THREE DOLLARS.I understand everything on the island is more expensive but that's just a plain rip off.
Also when I visited the restaurant wasn't busy at all, which was nice but it was dirty. There was food still on the floor from previous guests while the staff was doing crossword puzzles at the entrance podium. I expected a lot more, especially for being affiliated with the Grand Hotel. I've never been to the "Grand" but its it anything like what the Village Inn turned into I wouldn't want to go.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank lemans7238
Sugar Land, Texas
“Don't miss the planked whitefish!”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I'd been told that I must try the whitefish while in the area, and to avoid the dining room at the Grand Hotel. This restaurant is run by the Grand, and it's delicious! A bit pricey, but the food was fabulous. The whitefish was ringed with piped mashed potatoes and served with grilled veggies, including artichoke hearts. Super service - reasonably quick for lunch - I was in and out in an hour. Sit at the front of the restaurant and watch the horses and wagons ride past - it's on the main road up to the Grand.

• Visited October 2013